What is the estimated life of the battery?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: what is the predicted life of the battery?

Can you tell me the estimated life of the battery? The approximate $200 replacement cost is giving me second thoughts about purchasing the backback blower if I am looking at replacing the battery in just a few years as I have had to do with other battery powered tools.
Thank you
Photo of G

G

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of joe

joe

• 996 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The lithium technology conquers the issue of charge level going down over time. Caring for the battery extends the life of it. First, avoid depleting it completely. Second, let it cool down before putting it on the charger. Third, store it in a cool place.
I have used my mower battery for a full mowing seAson with no drop in performance. I mow twice a week, 30-60 minutes.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Joe, Ego's excellent battery management system looks after the charge levels, and their unique thermal management using phase change cell wraps looks after the heat. As you mentioned, you just need to store them properly and you're good to go. :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That picture of the circuit board that was on the cap. Did we ever figure out what that was for? I was thinking, is it a heating /cooling system using the peltzier effect? I cant find that picture and cant remember what thread that was on.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Here's a response I gave for a similar question about the 7.5Ah battery in the mower:

"Ego uses high performance Samsung 25R cells. At their full discharge rating of 20A they are rated to exceed 250 cycles at 60% capacity. But I need to emphasize that 20A rating; the 1000W motor in the SP mower will draw roughly 20A from the entire battery pack, and since the 7.5Ah battery shares that load between 3 parallel strings of cells, each cell will see 1/3 of the load, or roughly 6.7A.

Suffice to say the 25R cells in the 7.5Ah battery will FAR outlast their 250 cycle rating. But even at 250 cycles, that's equivalent to someone mowing their lawn every week for 5 years, and only if the cells are fully charged to 100% capacity at the start and drained to 0% capacity at the end. Since Ego's battery management is somewhat conservative, even depleting the battery is not equivalent to a full cycle.

Long story short, as long as the battery pack doesn't suffer any unforeseen issues, it should last the average person somewhere between 5-10 years.

Here's a very detailed report on the Samsung 25R cells if you want to read it:

https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-wh...
"
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I just finished my 3rd year mowing over an acre with the 20"mower. 5 charges per mow for the first 2 years. This year i got a 5 ah battery so its either 2 or 3 charges per mow. So thats alot of charges. And the original 4 ah battery is still going strong. I live in minnesota so mm y mowing season is april to early october
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi G, as we've posted in many other threads asking this exact same thing, here is our official response. You may know that battery life is usually measured in terms of recharge cycles. It is nearly impossible to predict the number of cycles your battery will produce because of varying environmental conditions. We do have a 3 (three) year warranty on all batteries and chargers, so you can feel confident knowing your battery will be protected in the unlikely event that it doesn’t function properly in those first three years of ownership.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.