String trimmer run time

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: 15" trimmer run time

My battery only allows me to work for 15 minutes at a time. String trimmer is brand new. Any suggestions,?
Photo of Cheryl

Cheryl

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Cheryl, how hard are you working your trimmer?

For ordinari maintenance type trimming it should last longer than that, but if you're clearing an overgrown area and are constantly burying it in tall grass then 15 minutes might be normal.

Do you have the 2Ah or 2.5Ah battery?
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

• 6,328 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Cheryl, further expanding Blue Angel's thought, did you charge the battery before using it?  If not the battery out of the brand new box most likely only had a 30% charge or less due to the self maintenance feature of the battery.  
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The question most popping up is, battery size.  That little battery just can't do much, but great for trimming around a smaller home.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

• 6,328 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Mine a ST1502SF (kit number) with continuous full speed duty will get about 20 minutes non-stop from the 2.5 aH.  The 2.0. is not noticeably shorter.  Although to be honest I have never actually timed them.    If I do normal maintenance trimming it will last the entire job...I am guessing about 45 minutes start and stop with variable speeds.  I have a young guy come in and do my cliffs for me as my knees and back are shot.  This is on the order of mowing 4 to 5 inch high grass in an open yard but on a hillside I would estimate to be about a 45 degree incline.  He lays into the thing full throttle and never stops.    
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.