Battery issues-resolved by accident

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Started mowing my yard and suddenly the battery went red after a few minutes. I removed the battery and placed it on the charger and it showed as fully charged. Tried again and after a few seconds it went red again and the mower quit.

I tried several options unplugging the charger, plugging it back in, etc. to no avail. Finally I thought if I could try and drain the battery maybe it would reset. I put it in the mower and ran it for a few seconds it died, waited re-did the process and figured it would take all day at that rate so I tried turning on the lights. They stayed on though the battery showed red.

After awhile I wanted to see if I could speed the process a little and tried starting the mower and you guessed it it worked. The battery continued to show red but finished the yard.

Before removing the battery I turned the lights off and then back on and the battery went to green. I put it on the charger and it is charging just fine.

Just thought I would relay my experience. Customer service was "in a staff meeting for the day" so were not able to assist.

A one time experience so far but if you find yourself in this situation try turning on the lights for a few minutes (mine were on about 30 minutes before I tried to start the mower) and see if it works.
Photo of Fred Herzer

Fred Herzer

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Thanks for the feedback, it may help someone else with the same issue. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but if it does let us know.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Fred, that is good feedback.  Trying to judge the condition of your setup (whether new or old) in order to try and figure out what is going on, and how that procedure changed the battery's state.

Have a couple more specific questions:
1) when you ran the mower, was that under no-load, e.g. just sitting there not cutting grass?
2) what mower and battery, how old are they
3) how often do you mow?
Photo of Fred Herzer

Fred Herzer

1) when you ran the mower, was that under no-load, e.g. just sitting there not cutting grass?

Assume you mean after the battery started working, I mowed the entire lawn (battery light stayed red but it worked and went green when I finished and turned the lights off, then on).

2) what mower and battery, how old are they

Bought the mower late last summer at Home Depot, 21" with 7.5Ah 56-Volt.

3) how often do you mow?

once a week to bi-weekly during peak season (now until aug), as needed rest of year.
(Edited)
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,582 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
From your original post: "Finally I thought if I could try and drain the battery maybe it would reset. I put it in the mower and ran it for a few seconds it died."  When you were running it here, was that just on the driveway under no-load; or trying to cut grass?
Photo of Fred Herzer

Fred Herzer

Actually both, I tried it a few times on the patio (no-load) and then in the yard with relatively thick grass (load). Attempted this about 12 times all-told of which were 10 in the grass) and each time it ran just a few seconds, went red then quit.
Photo of Norm Braun

Norm Braun

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the exact same problem. The charger and battery have been replaced. The problem occurs on both of my EGO products (blower, trimmer). I tried to drain the batteries as described above but neither tool will operate for more than a split second.

Not sure what to do next...
Photo of Norm Braun

Norm Braun

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Update. Just called EGO and solved the problem. The charger was "hung" and needed a reset. To do this, simply unplug the charger, wait five minutes, then plug it back in. I had previously done a similar sequence but didn't wait long enough. The trick is to leave the charger unplugged long enough for it to reset. After doing this, I placed a battery on the charger and it began to charge normally.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,594 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Good to know.  Thanks for posting that info Norm.
And glad you got your problem solved.
Photo of Simon Rioux

Simon Rioux

• 302 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks! I will try it next time, as this keeps happening to me, and I never know what to do to fix it - I eventually get it to charge again, but never know what I did right for it to charge normally again.  :)
Photo of Keith Nichols

Keith Nichols

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Any gadget that uses computer-type logic circuits is often cured of puzzling problems by merely being turned off or unplugged for a minute or so.  I know nothing about Ego battery-chargers, but I suspect unplugging them when not in use is a good idea.
Photo of Jarek Maras

Jarek Maras

• 60 Points
Same situation, started mowing on a fresh battery. After two minutes mover quit, then it would only start for two seconds and quit again.

I did the lights on trick for 30 minutes, and the mower started working again. Going to reset the charger just in case anyway. Thank you for the fix.

Mover about two years old.
(Edited)
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

• 1,014 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Not sure it's necessary, but I read somewhere that it's a good idea to unplug the charger when finished charging.  In fact I also remove the *charged* battery and put it inside in air conditioned space. Can't hurt.
Photo of Tim R. Benson

Tim R. Benson

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We have two batteries for the mower we alternate with.  Both look like they charge great on the charger.  One works great in the mower. The second goes red when in the mower after it showed a full charge on the charger.  So don't think unplugging the charger will work for me.  Going to try the mower trick with lights on today will let you know how it works.
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 1,064 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Tim, try the "fridge fix". Put the battery in the fridge for an hour or two. Both a friend and myself had batteries with the similar symptoms you describe. I am an engineer and did not believe this fix to work, but we tried anyway, for fun, out of a laugh and after few beers I must admit, but it fixed the issue. I still can't explain with engineering definitions what it does to fix the issue... (and it pisses me off not being able to explain... :)). I can't believe the difference of temperature between room temperature and fridge temperature makes a difference on material dilatation...  I guess only beers may  "hold the knowledge" to what is happening in the fridge when you leave the battery in there. Maybe there is a miniature EGO army being called in your fridge when you leave it there and they open the pack and replace a component without you knowing... (I am joking on that last sentence, of course... :) ... or am I... )  
Photo of Tim R. Benson

Tim R. Benson

As a chemical engineer I can tell you that chemical process slow down with temperature ... try and start your car at below zero temps... but why that would reset the battery I do not know will try your s first since it is easier was 98F today and had another project I needed to work on.
Photo of Tim R. Benson

Tim R. Benson

It worked put it in the fridge overnight tried it the next day mowed until it turned red then put it back on the charger.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 102,058 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Tim - it likely resets a thermal control in the battery management system of the battery.
Photo of Mica

Mica

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Same.

The light trick didn't work for me and I'm 1/8th of the way done with my backyard. I've stored my battery next to the OJ in my fridge.

Otherwise, I'll be buying a new battery tomorrow I suspect... Sigh.

Mica

(Edited)
Photo of Mica

Mica

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Fixed - thanks y'all!