Battery issues

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Mower blinks orange and won't restart when I stop to empty the bag. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes all I have to do is remove the battery and reinstall it. Other times, I have to put it back on the charger and then it works. This happens after a very short run time so the battery is not dead.
Photo of Bruce Davis

Bruce Davis

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,488 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Orange generally indicates and overload rather than a low battery.

How long and or wet is your grass ?
Is the bag overfilled ?
Is the underside clean?
Is the blade sharp ?
- these may cause an overload.

If no strenuous conditions then you may have a faulty overload sensor on your mower in need of a repair

Photo of Bruce Davis

Bruce Davis

It doesn't actually go orange until I try to restart it. It doesn't stop running. I'm mowing the leaves and the bag does get full quickly but by the time I go to restart, it has been emptied? Can the sensor be repaired by a reasonably handy person or does it require a pro?
Photo of Bruce Davis

Bruce Davis

Thanks, by the way.
Photo of kenny Garcia

kenny Garcia

• 772 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Swoop champion is correct. The power sensor unit needs to be repaired. Unfotunately it will take 3 months or longer to repair due to backlog. Call EGO to begin process. My mower had same issue back in July 2019. Did not get a new mower till a couple weeks ago.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,488 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response

Ego recommends contacting them before bringing your tool in for repair to confirm your warranty status and make them aware of the repair.  They can also help you trouble shoot the problem.

You can ask them to let you fix it yourself.  Some have reported being able to do so, but generally due to the warrantythey will direct you to a repair center - most commonly HD.  If you are in a populated area you can call a couple HD near you and maybe find one that is more willing / likely to do the repair in house.

Not all Home Depots perform the repair on-site, so it is possible they'll be sending your mower out. However, per Ego service agreement, the entire process should not take more than 4-6 weeks. If it takes more than four, please give Ego support team a call (1-855-346-5656).   They will get involved

In the meantime, you can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 

Photo of AL Bernard

AL Bernard

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can the heavy duty strings use in the ego weedwacker
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,638 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
EGO recommends .095 string in their trimmers (is that heavy duty?). I think some have used .080 string but that might be problematic in the autowind model with the carbon fiber shaft.
Photo of AL Bernard

AL Bernard

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm going to check what I got mike