Battery issue with push mower?

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Battery, charger or mower problem?

The mower w/battery and charger was purchased in August 2016

I used to be able to mow both my (small- abt. 3,500 sq. ft. total) front and back yards with one charge as recently as last fall. Starting this spring I could barely get through one or the other. The last time I got about 3/4 of the back mowed before the light turned red, then flashed red and died. When I put the battery in the charger, all of the green bars lit up, as though the battery was fully charged, and the charger shut down. When I put the battery in the mower, it ran for a few seconds, then the red light flashed and the mower stopped.
I called customer service and they told me to bring the mower in to Home Depot for service. The CS agent gave me the impression that HD could test the battery and charger, in case that is where the problem lies. The folks at HD said that was not the case, unlike other companies, EGO does not provide them with a way to test either component.
Any suggestions on how I can check the battery without losing the mower for weeks - and having to pay someone to mow my lawn?
Photo of carlainmichigan

carlainmichigan

• 314 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Assuming you do not own another EGO tool to test your battery. Take your battery to Home Depot and test it on a display tool, but be sure that an associate know what you're doing first. This way you could determine if it's the battery or not.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,548 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I wonder if HD would allow that. Seems kind of risky to test an unknown condition battery on something HD would hope to sell one day. Might damage the tool, potentially. 
Carla if you go to the store and ask to try this, let us know what they said? 
Photo of carlainmichigan

carlainmichigan

I tried that yesterday, actually the guy in repairs suggested it, but the person in the garden center was clueless. I am going to try the Ace Hardware down the street tomorrow. If the weather holds I might hit another one or two Home Depot’s tomorrow as well, if necessary. Failing that, I will try posting on Nextdoor and see if any nearby EGO owner would be willing to help.

It seems ridiculous that Home Depot doesn’t have a spare battery and charger at each store so they could quickly eliminate or confirm battery/charger issues on the spot, rather than sending the entire mower to Indiana for servicing. Good customer service, too. The repair guy Ryobi and Stihl provide them for on-site testing.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,504 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Do you have any other EGO tools and batteries/chargers? If so, try that battery in a known good tool and charger. 
One other thing to try with the battery is into the fridge overnight just to see if it somehow resets the battery circuitry.
Photo of carlainmichigan

carlainmichigan

I do not own any other EGO tools. And this is making me rethink buying their snow blower.

William E Hanson

Carla, the snow blower is awesome. Don't allow 1 experience stop you.
Photo of carlainmichigan

carlainmichigan

I found someone in my neighborhood who was willing to help me out and brought over his newly purchased (this spring) blower, 2.5aH battery and charger.

Put his battery in my mower and the mower worked.
Put my 5 aH battery in his blower and it ran for a minute or so with the red light on, then died.
Put his battery in my charger and it worked as usual - bars progressed from two green bars to four bars, then shut off.
Put my battery on his charger, after it had died in his blower, and it immediately showed as fully charged and the charger shut off (a matter of seconds from putting battery on charger to charger shutting off).

In short, my mower and charger worked as they should with his battery, with my battery none of the tools or chargers worked

So the battery is the problem, right?

How do I get customer service to agree?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,504 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Call CS and tell them exactly what you just posted here. It's the battery.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
And that's an easy fix. They'll ship you out a replacement battery pretty quickly.

Of course this is a holiday weekend, so there will be a slight delay because of that.

William E Hanson

You actually did their work for them; should be easy for them to replace your battery
Photo of carlainmichigan

carlainmichigan

I just got off the phone with customer service (after a 30 minute wait - not too bad) and a very nice young woman agreed that I need a new battery and should get one this week. I will post when it arrives.

Feeling better about EGO now. I will feel much better when my battery arrives.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

That's not a bad wait coming off a holiday weekend.

Let us know how long the battery takes to arrive.
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 1,084 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Just had something very similar with a 7.5Ah battery pack. Same symptoms, the battery was empty, I had mowed for a decent amount of time and confirmed many times with other EGO tools, but the charger "thinks" it is full and all 4 lights turns green right away (on a fast charger). I tried it in a slow charger (the black one without 4 lights) and same, it detects the battery as full. Great and fast support and service from Jayme at the EGO support desk, the battery is still under warranty and they will send a new one. 

I believe nothing is wrong with the mower itself, unless there is something happening at the system level which the battery packs does not tolerate... hard to tell as mowers don't have OBD ports yet... But I am guessing the same component goes bad on our batteries. My guess is either a heat sensor goes bad and the BCM locks the charge or there is something truly bad with the BCM itself. Without opening the pack and probing each of these 2 components it is difficult to really tell, but if anyone has investigated, it would be nice to know...   

William E Hanson

This probably explains why placing a battery into the refrigerator "resets" the battery when the sensor "copls" down.
Photo of Simon

Simon

I don't think it's a matter of letting the sensor (s) cool down. I think they are just fried/bad and need to be replaced (... assuming the problem is the sensor (s)... which is just a guess at this point...). I checked and tried my battery in the charger several time after the event. It had been kept in a cool place so I am certain the sensors were "cooled down". It was behaving the same way (charger "thinking" the battery is full...) every time...  

William E Hanson

Simon, wouldn't it be worth a try since several had reported this method to have restored theirs?
Photo of Simon

Simon

A quick update on this. I couldn't try the "fridge fix" on my battery as I had to give it back when I received the new one (through warranty). However, a friend of mine had a similar issue a couple of days ago. Exact same symptoms as mine. We are both engineer and we both laughed at the "fridge fix" (we also laugh at the "24in drop fix" and other quite "unconventional" engineering ways to fix things...). If the issue is a heat sensor going bad, cooling it to fridge temperature should not be any different than cooling it to room temperature. The few degree difference won't matter enough on material dilatation...

But after a couple of beers, we both agree to give it a shot and let it sit for an hour in the fridge just for for. To both our surprise it does seem to fix the issue. Not sure if it fix for a long time, but the darn battery charged and operated... and re-charged again as if there had never been any issue. 

Couple of things I have to say I think... 

1) Thanks William for the tip
2) I probably owe a silent apologies for thinking this was a stupid fix ;)
3) I guess I may have to open my mind a little more to unconventional engineering fixes... :) 
Photo of carlainmichigan

carlainmichigan

Well, if anyone in West Michigan wants to dissect a “dead” battery, I know where you can get one. ; )
Photo of carlainmichigan

carlainmichigan

I finally got my new battery on Thursday. I mowed on Friday and everything seems O.K. I mowed both front and back yards on one charge, with power to spare. And the grass was longer than usual.

I guess the fact that the battery cannot be shipped by air explains the four days it took to get from California to Michigan. (Sorry about the upside-down image.)

If the battery cannot be shipped by airplane or boat, how the heck did it get here from China?
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

A lot of domestic shippers contract for space in the cargo holds of passenger planes. Lithium ion batteries are a definite no-no there.

Bulk shipments from China would be on dedicated cargo ships and aircraft.
Photo of carlainmichigan

carlainmichigan

So they are just forbidden on passenger planes/vessels? No worries for the crew on cargo transport?
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew Danzig

Andrew Danzig

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm in my 3rd season using the EGO Power 21" mower with 7.5 AH battery. The issue I have now that brought me to this community forum is decreasing battery charge. The first year, I averaged one hour per charge, last year 50 minutes, and this year 40 minutes. Fortunately it's still under warranty and EGO agreed to send me a new one. I learned that the SN and manufacturing dates on the battery and charger should match. The battery that was shipped with my mower and charger had a different SN and was 14 months older. My battery certainly lost some umph from sitting unused (I assume?) for 2 years. The dates are recorded next to the serial numbers, so you may want to check before you have a problem while you're still under warranty. I managed to avoid Murphy's Law for once and was able to make a warranty claim with 2 months to spare on my warranty instead of the usual 2 months after it expired.

William E Hanson

Andrew, the warranties are based on purchase date, not manufacture date.
Photo of Andrew Danzig

Andrew Danzig

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
William, one would think. But the CS rep said the mismatched SNs raised a red flag with them and she had to get supervisor approval to issue me a [hopefully] new battery. I raised the issue here b/c another rep may use the dates as an excuse not to honor the warranty. btw, what's with the points associated with each person's name?

William E Hanson

That CS rep is uninformed; too common these days. Being registered with receipt uploaded is your protection.

Points are assigned to forum participants based on amount of activity. Higher the points, the more reliability you can assume on that person's advice. Champion means you have been here a long time and most knowledgable.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I haven’t read the whole post, but just wanted to state that reps don’t look at this forum just those of us that have EGO products and try to help others with there EGO products. If that has already been stated I apologize.