Battery flashes yellow

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: CS

Our battery flashes yellow all the time. Inside or outside the mower. Charger shows it is fully charged. I waited on hold yesterday for over and hour and then again today for 30 minutes. I selected "0" to leave a message but the mailbox is full...I'm not sure if they really have customer service or not, but they successfully forced me to use the website instead of talking to someone.
Photo of Mark Martin

Mark Martin

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

What Ego product are you using this with (mower, trimmer, blower, etc)?

Which size battery: 2.0, 2.5, 5.0, etc.

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We want to help, Mark! One of our service team members will be emailing you shortly. 
Photo of Lytania Mackey

Lytania Mackey

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please help me too!
Photo of Amber F.

Always happy to help! One of our service team members will be returning your call shortly. :-) 
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It sounds like the battery thinks its too hot all the time.

(a)Typical Engineer

From the manual:

POWER INDICATOR ON THE MOWER
Shining orange =  The mower or the battery pack is overheated
Flashing orange = The mower is overloaded

The battery should only be solid orange out of the mower; if it's flashing orange then the battery is defective and needs to be replaced.

Photo of Mark Martin

Mark Martin

Ok, we just bought this last fall and haven't used it more than 20 times. The battery flashes orangeoutaide the mower. If the battery is bad, what do I do now? It's the 4.0 battery..
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,162 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Always contact Customer Service first so they can assist you in the Warranty Replacement process. Your battery has a 3 Year Limited Warranty, so you are covered ... :-)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

That is the power indicator on the mower, not the one on the battery.  When the battery gets too hot, it flashes yellow.  I know, my 2.5Ah gets too hot on my 575 unit all the time because it cannot handle the current of the 575 unit.

(a)Typical Engineer

From the battery manual:

BATTERY PROTECTION

The battery circuitry protects the battery pack from extreme temperature, overdischarge, and over-charge. To protect the battery from damage and prolong its life, the battery pack circuitry will turn off the battery pack if it becomes overloaded or if the temperature becomes too high during use. This may happen in extremely high torque, binding, and stalling situations. The battery pack will shut down with power indicator flashing orange for 10s when its operating temperature exceeds 158°F (70°C), and will begin normal operation when it returns to 152°F (67°C).

Photo of Mark Martin

Mark Martin

No, it isn't the Temp...started 3 days ago and still just flashes orange
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

The tool draws almost 17 amps at full power on cells that are rated for a maximum current of 20 amps.  That is pushing them to their limits, and I'm even getting concerned about whether the cells can actually handle 17 amps because they seem unable to bring the tool up to full power for but about 30 seconds to a minute before the tool drops to the power of the 530 unit.  I can hear how fast the motor is spinning by listening to its sound frequency.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

The tool draws almost 17 amps at full power on cells that are rated for a maximum current of 20 amps.  That is pushing them to their limits, and I'm even getting concerned about whether the cells can actually handle 17 amps because they seem unable to bring the tool up to full power for but about 30 seconds to a minute before the tool drops to the power of the 530 unit.  I can hear how fast the motor is spinning by listening to its sound frequency.

(a)Typical Engineer

If the battery is at room temperature, which it should be after three days, and is still flashing, then clearly it is defective.

On a side note, have you ever sharpened the blade on the mower?  If the blade is dull, that is making it do extra work.  While this isn't the direct cause of the continuous flashing issue, it is adding unnecessary wear to the entire mower and battery system.

Photo of Lytania Mackey

Lytania Mackey

No but we have a tiny lawn. 25 minutes to mow maybe 25 times total. Battery looks charged then put in mower it won't start. When battery sits on charger the charger unit shows 4 greens and the battery itself flashes yellow. Battery is stored inside house at 68 degrees year round.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 60 Points
Ours is doing the same thing. We have had it for 2 seasons now (2015). Charged it up after a recent use.  It fully charged.  About an hour later I put it back in the mower and the orange/yellow charge indicator began flashing as soon as I went to start the mower.  The manufacture date on this battery is March 2015, SN: 150301751. 
We have a small end unit townhouse lot.  It takes about 30 minutes to mow the whole thing.  Two seasons of use for a battery this expensive is not acceptable performance.
Photo of Jessica

Jessica

• 60 Points
I think I am having a similar problem with my battery.  Would love to get some help regarding this question. Thank you!
Photo of Amber F.

Please give us a call, Jessica (1-855-346-5656). Our team is here to help. :-) 
Photo of Lytania Mackey

Lytania Mackey

We called and left message. No return call yet!
Photo of Lytania Mackey

Lytania Mackey

This is us too! Flashing yellow on battery charger. Less than a year old mower. My husband called today had to leave a voicemail! We have all Ego products but if we can't get it fixed we need to move to a different line. Lawn company has to cut it this week costing us $60!
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

The three of you who are having this problem, what is the date on which your batteries were manufactured?  It should say on the side of the pack next to the pack's serial number.
(Edited)
Photo of Sabrina Hatfield

Sabrina Hatfield

• 70 Points
I am having the very same problem tonight.  Have never had issued before.  Fully charged 56v battery.  Insert into lawnmower. Depress the safety and pull bail handle.  Lawnmower starts, lights come on.  Not less than 30 seconds later battery flashes orange and lawnmower stops.  Looks like my battery was manufacturered in April 2016.  Any recommendations?

(a)Typical Engineer

Have you sharpened the mower blade?  Will it run for longer than 30 seconds under no load (e.g. sitting on the driveway, not being pushed or cutting grass)?
Photo of Sabrina Hatfield

Sabrina Hatfield

• 70 Points
The starting and stopping is in the driveway. We aren't able to make it into the yard.

(a)Typical Engineer

Is it only when you push the power forward; if so, that could be the safety circuit kicking in.  Try two things: 1) check your clamps to make sure they are holding the handles completely extended. and 2) pull mower backwards over grass, if it keeps running that is also an indication that the clamps are slipping.

What model mower do you have, and how old is it (sounds newer if you battery is from 04/2016)?
(Edited)
Photo of Angel Nicole Davey

Angel Nicole Davey

• 60 Points
I'm having the exact same problem. It's cutting out in my driveway before I even touch grass. The charger says it's full, it's only in the mid-80s here, I've made sure the handles are fully extended, everything. I just sat on hold for 27 minutes earlier today and then it just disconnected on it's own. :(
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.