Battery failure

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
My 4 batteries only have like 10 charges on them and one of the already died, I don’t know about the cells they are using, they must be low quality??? Not happy.
Photo of BigC

BigC

• 1,134 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • cheated.

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of kenny Garcia

kenny Garcia

• 772 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
These batteries are made in China!!! I've been waiting 2 weeks for my new battery. Call CS for replacement. May take awhile. Just use your spares till then. Nothing made in USA!!!
Photo of BigC

BigC

I fly RC jets and plane which are all electric and I buy good cells that last hundreds of charges, not these cheap packs.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,378 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The Ego battery packs and technology is some of the best stuff on the market.  Sometimes there is an electronic glitch.  3 year warranty on the batteries so no need to worry.

The fact that a battery failed is no indication of low quality.  Just as my 6 batteries that have been operating for several years are no indication of high quality.  Just a very small sample size that says very little.  Unfortunately it means everything to the person that owns that small sample size.

Give Ego a chance - they have high quality stuff and stand behind their products and warranties.
Photo of BigC

BigC

I have hundreds of lipos and they are 6 years old with hundreds of charges in them, and 4 of these with the most 10 charges on them and one is dead. No matter how you spin it that’s sucks.
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 1,982 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Your hundreds of lipos also don't have a large circuit board with autodischarge resistors, control mosfets and a microcontroller than can get damaged and then refuse to talk to the speed controller. If you're dumb with your lipos you'll start a fire. The control circuitry on the EGO is designed to prevent dumb from causing a fire. Unfortunately, sometimes the controls get broken, and the result is a brick. Get it replaced under warranty.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,486 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Seems like one of two possibilities, neither having anything to do with China or quality.

1. An early life failure that happens all the time in the world of electromechanical assemblies like this. That's what the warranty is for. It is not the same as an "out of box DOA" that maybe could be blamed on quality or workmanship.

2. An event - like dropping, improperly charging, allowing the battery to freeze, allowing the battery to get wet or otherwise shorting out the circuitry. And probably a dozen other things.
Photo of Kenny Mars

Kenny Mars

• 896 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have a feeling you may be having a safety relay issue as the rest of us have had. Call EGO customer service, they will take care of you