Battery Defect is really a charging station defect

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

I have a 21 inch power lawn mower. After less than a month after I bought it, the battery would not charge. I called customer service, and was shipped a new battery. Upon receiving the new battery, I placed it on the old charging station and the same happened as before, the whirring sounds and lights began, then ceased all activity within less than a minute. The battery was blinking a quick red indicator light.

Why didn't they replace the charging station AND the battery together???

Now I have to wait another two weeks to resolve the issue, meanwhile I have to hire out the mowing to a service provider. It seems like a great idea to have an electric mower, but the reality is definitely
 different.
Photo of Kelly Young

Kelly Young

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Chris Starke

Chris Starke

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I haven't weed whacked in weeks, still trying to find a sales reciept. This is painful.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you bought the weed trimmer with a credit or debit card the store will be able to look up your purchase using that card and print you a replacement receipt.
Photo of Gerry Litvin

Gerry Litvin

• 1,092 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I am glad I decided to return mine when I continually hear stories like this. I feel your pain and anguish. Good luck.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
And yet, the vast majority of us are satisfied and problem free. Seems like a perfectly good reason to return yours...
Photo of Brad Christie

Brad Christie

• 2,568 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
With you DJDDay. However, there will always be people that buy based on the 3 poor reviews out of 100 because it's obviously a bad product at that point...

The unfortunate truth of the matter is that no matter how good your production line is, there is a margin of error. You hope to catch issues at the QC, but inevitably something gets missed and shipped out (and subsequently becomes a problem for a customer). For that very reason, I only buy cars after I find out what day it was built (won't buy a Monday/Friday car ;)

That aside, I do acknowledge (and sympathize) with those going through issues and not getting the support they need. Unfortunately, though, it's an adolescent market with a lot of kinks to work out. The good news is that EGO stands by their products and will go the extra mile to satisfy you. The bad news is it's usually logistics that lack, so lead times become compromised quickly. Worst-case scenario, you can borrow a mower or go to your local junk yard and find one someone got rid of. In a pinch, I'd probably go buy a reel mower (something I could collapse easily and keep on-hand in storage).
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Gerry, you better not buy ANYTHING with moving parts or electronics.  Even Rolls Royces and other high priced autos sometimes need repairs.
Photo of Gerry Litvin

Gerry Litvin

• 1,092 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Good analogy Dave, however you forgot to mention that Rolls Royce or other high priced autos or even low priced autos would have your car repaired and back to you on the same day and if they couldn't, they would give you a free loaner car until it was fixed. Would you and DJDD accept them telling you that your car would be in service for 5-8 weeks and in the meantime go borrow your neighbors car? If yes, then I wish you guys the best of luck.
    P.S. Aside from the absurd 5-8 week repair time through HD, the main reason I returned my mower was do to the poor mulching performance with the line of clippings along the left side of my mower and the lack of suction/ lift abilities compared to my previous gas mower. It was not based on anyone else's good or bad reviews of the product. I also felt a little misled by HD and Ego with the warranty length. The sales clerk told me it had a five year warranty. On the outside of the retail box it states clearly that there is a 5 year warranty. Then after you buy it and unpack it at home Surprise, you find out that the battery (the most expensive part) has only a three year warranty.  
   And BC your opening statement makes no sense at all " However, there will always be people that buy based on the 3 poor reviews out of 100 because it's obviously a bad product at that point.." I do like the way you worded the rest of your comment though. I do disagree with your worst case scenario as that is exactly what Ego seems to be recommending and in my opinion is also an absurd recommendation for a mower I just paid $500+ for. Since as you guys say that there is such a small percentage that have a problem, then why won't Ego supply HD with loaner mowers for the few that do have a defective problem? I am sorry but i can not defend this in any way and to me Ego does not appear to be going the extra mile when they tell you 5-8 weeks and no loaners.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Oh.. $%÷= is getting deep now.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Eh, if I had a Rolls Royce in the shop, I'd clearly be able to buy a second one and use that while it's being worked on.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I would hazard a guess that most who own Rolls Royces are not cutting their own grass. That seems more a chore for the common man. :-)
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

LOL!!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The easy answer to your question, Kelly, is that the battery and the rapid charger are both expensive items. There's no need to replace both when only one is defective. I'm surprised, though, that customer service didn't do a more thorough job of trouble shooting.

That said, whenever I encounter a defective product and I'm still within a store's return period, I return the defective item to the place of purchase for a replacement rather than wait for a replacement to be shipped to me.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Yeah, I'm a little dumbfounded that she didn't just return it and order a new one. We all know Home Depot's return policy is 90 days, so... *shrugs*

Stranger though, I've actually had customer service suggest this to me when I had an issue. I wonder why they didn't suggest that to Kelly?
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi all, our customer service team runs through the same challenges when trying to determine the troublemaker when there's a battery or charger issue.  Unfortunately, their guess was wrong this time but at least the charger is on its way now too.  We try not to refer people back to the store for a return because we want to help in advance of having to pack everything up.  It's generally a hassle to pack up the mower for a replacement and sometimes we are able to get the culprit on the first time. Kelly, we're sorry that we didn't get it right the first time and we apologize for the turnaround time in the replacement to you.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.