Battery compatibility?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I have the Lawn Mower Model No. LM2001 that came with a 56v 4.0Ah battery.  I have four questions.

1.     Can I use a new 7.5Ah battery in this older mower?  
2.     Can I use an older 4.0Ah battery in the new snowblower?
3.     Can I charge a 7.5Ah battery using a 4.0Ah charger?  
4.     Can I charge a 4.0Ah battery using a 7.5Ah charger?  

I ask because I would potentially, after ordering the new snowblower with 7.5Ah batteries, start also using them in my current mower.
Photo of Michael Braun

Michael Braun

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Yes to all of the above. Any battery works in any tool, except the snow blower and other high drain tools recommend using 4ah batteries or larger.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Well, actually you can use smaller 2.0 and 2.5Ah batteries in the high drain devices, they just won't run as well and EGO doesn't recommend it.  Both the batteries you have will work perfectly in the mower and a new snowblower.  You would be good to go.

There is some thought that charging any battery in the speed charger will put more stress on the battery and possibly decrease its functional life.  But in the same breath, there are others who will say that you are better off not charging the battery to full until you are actually going to need and use it.  Storing a battery at full capacity for periods of time not in use also will reduce the functional life.  
(Edited)
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,512 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Running the high drain devices with lower capacity batteries will also result in decreased battery life.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

When you say high drain on lower capactiy batteries, you are really only talking about the two lowest sized batteries.  (the 2.0 and 2.5Ah).  And that also assumes that the electronics inside the batteries don't talk to the lawn mower or snow blower and protect themselves when the batteries start to get hot.
Photo of Robert Mackenzie

Robert Mackenzie

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled battery compatibility.

I am considering the 21" self-propelled mower (model LM2102SP) and the blower (model LB4800).  There are several comments on the website that any battery can be used with any tool.  However, the mower shows it uses a 7.5 Ah battery (BA4200), but the blower manual (page 9) indicates it can only use battery pack BA2240 or BA1120.  Would the 7.5 Ah batter fit and work safely with the blower?
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

yes the 7.5Ah battry would fit that blower.  But why would you not get the better Model # LB5300 blower??  for the $20 difference, it is a far better blower and the heavier 7.5Ah battery helps offset the kickback from the blowing force and makes it easier to use.  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.