Batteries - to charge or not to charge.. ??

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Batteries - to charge or not to charge.. I have TWO batteries for my blower and trimmer. I use each tool 10 minutes a week; not enough to discharge one battery. Should I rotate batteries? or keep one in the box and pull it out when the first one dies???
Photo of Jim Linderman

Jim Linderman

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • I LOVE the power of the 'leaf vlower!'

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,526 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I rotate them once a month and I store the "other" in a different location. That way, if conditions in my garage go bad (extreme cold, extreme heat, too much moisture, etc) then I'm not exposing both batteries to the same negative environment.

I wouldn't recommend keeping one in the box until the other one dies. With a three year warranty, you'll want to use them both enough to make sure they're working properly during the warranty period. A three year warranty doesn't do you any good if you don't use the battery until after three years and find out it's a lemon. 
I believe that it is best to use the battery until the end. At that point put it on charge.
Photo of Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'd still like to see EGO provide enough package options that we don't end up with a second battery before we need it.  JMO

Photo of Chris

Chris

• 934 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have 4 batteries 1 X 5AH, 2 X 2.5AH, 1 X 2.0AH, and I rotate them between the 5 tools I own. The 5AH is in the mower and drained once a week and I finish the lawn using a 2.5AH. This time of year the lawn is growing thick and fast. I primarily use the 2's in the blower, trimmer, chainsaw and hedger and I rotate them. I charge them all up to full once used and store them in a cool dry place. 2 years and no problems.
Photo of Jim Linderman

Jim Linderman

THanks.. your experience or suggestion would be that I use both batteries; rotating; rather than leaving one “new” in the box until the first one dies .. yes?
Also. Once fully charged, you store yours OFF the charger? Thanks again. J
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 934 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yes use I would use both in rotation and I typically do take them off the charger once fully charged. I admit to forgetting to take them off the charger on occasion but generally they are all in use over the course of a week or two.
Photo of Jim Linderman

Jim Linderman

Also, what I wasn’t taking into consideration was the 3 yr warranty. Might as well Be using both batteries just in case there is a malfunction with one of them in the warranty period! I gather when gone on vacay a few weeks at a time, should “unplug.” Whew! Battery care is exhausting me!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Jim, you can do whatever you like.

I have a small yard, and my personal approach is to just leave a battery in each tool. I get 3-4 weeks worth of use out of the blower and trimmer between charges.

Yes you can leave a battery on the charger, but it’s generally recommended to unplug things that aren’t being used so removing the battery and unplugging the charger is probably the right thing to do.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,526 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
For long-term storage, don't forget that the battery may automatically perform a self-discharge operation after one month of storage. Per the manual: "After this self-maintenance, the battery pack will enter sleep mode and maintain 30% of its charge capacity. If stored for a month or longer, fully recharge the battery before the next use". This is done to protect the battery. In general, Lithium batteries don't like to remain 100% charged or nearly depleted (blinking or solid red on the EGO). 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Correct, and this long term storage mode will take place even if stored on a charger that’s left plugged in.
Photo of Jim Linderman

Jim Linderman

New to, and am very impressed by the informative and timely responses! Thanks
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Any time, Jim!
Photo of walt dutchak

walt dutchak

• 1,534 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks guys.  I enjoyed this conversation and gathered some good ideas about using batteries.