Batteries dropping like fly's

• Problem
  • Updated 3 days ago
  • In Progress
My batteries are dropping like fly's... I've had 3 (2-5ah) batteries fail on me over the winter (no longer taking a charge) ... any way to reset them?... they've been charged up maybe 60 times at the most
Photo of R Hoff

R Hoff

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 45,152 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
How old are they? If less than 3 years old they are under warranty. Give EGO customer service a call and they will help you out. Best to call early in the day to avoid hold times.

They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

Photo of R Hoff

R Hoff

Thanks Mike, I think one of them is over 3yrs... can't find the receipt anymore tho :(
Photo of Clay Cassell

Clay Cassell

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You may want to login to your Home Depot account (if you have one) and your receipts  my be in your previous purchases.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 44,806 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hopefully you registered them right away and provided the receipt at the time. Otherwise, yeah,  receipt/proof of purchase might be available either in your account on HD site or with your credit card company.
Still worth calling EGO regardless.
Photo of R Hoff

R Hoff

Thanks guys, I may just give Ego a call to see what my options are... having said all that, I do really like, and enjoy using the products (6)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 175,766 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
What happens if you put them on the charger?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 80,404 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
One possible reset procedure
Unplug charger
Place battery on charger
Plug charger in.
This has been known to reset and solve some battery issues.
Worth a try
Ditto here - OK in Fall, not this Spring. Battery is kept in N. Cal so no freezing. Charges in 15 minutes, then shuts down. Will run trimmer for 8 minutes. Tried three time. This won't work for an acre. 56V battery. Trying to call EGO without luck.  HD doesn't understand chargers, only SKU numbers. I suspect half of battery is dead as only one side gets warm. Mfg Date Jan 2018.
Tried the reset noted by champion swoop. No luck.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 174,854 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Try calling them early in the morning to avoid long wait times. We’re getting into their busy season.
Photo of William

William

• 298 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
R.Hoff, if not too much trouble, could you give us a report on the outcome of your customer service experience?  I had a charger fail, and after talking with a CSR and confirming my own diagnostic efforts, a new charger was sent out pretty quickly.
Photo of R Hoff

R Hoff

Well, as it turns out, I used the "super" charger with all of the smaller battery's, and they seem to be behaving properly now (fingers crossed)  ;) . I always used the regular chargers that came with the smaller tools, thinking they required more of a "trickle" charge than the large battery... we'll see how it plays out this season.
Cheers
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 58,236 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Was it just one of the standard chargers giving you problems or were there multiple standard chargers that were causing problems? The standard chargers should be fine with any of your batteries, and it's my preferred way to charge all my batteries if I'm not in a rush to charge them.

I would be concerned that there was an actual problem with one of the chargers.
Photo of R Hoff

R Hoff

It was using only one of my chargers... the others are at another location, I'll try them when I get them back home