Batteries always drained

• Problem
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • In Progress
I switched to ego equipment last year. My experience so far is less then desirable

I have 3 batteries and two chargers. When I’m done using my equipment I plug it into my charging station. The fans kick on and the lights flash, green, red, yellow. When I go back next week to do my yard the button is green when I press it and the fans are off. I typically get about 5-10 mins out of my equipment before I have to recharge. Weekly I’m using the newer carbon weed eater, the powerheads with edger attachment and a backpack blower. I can’t get through my yard without cycling through all three batteries. I have two chargers which doesn’t seem to change this behavior

Any ideas? How can I test the chargers? The batteries? Or whatever else might be causing the problem.

They are stored in my garage which is warm but none of my other lithium ion equipment from other brands have issues.
Photo of Matt George

Matt George

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,174 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This is the job for customer service.  That makes no sense.  All of mine are stored in my storage shed that gets pretty darned warm in the summer and cold in the winter.  My batteries all work great.  Call first thing in the morning to avoid long hold times.  it's the busiest time of the year.

For all customer service requests, please call:

1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656).

8:30am - 8:00pm EST

(Monday – Friday)

10:00am - 6:00pm EST

(Saturday and Sunday).

Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 1,226 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
What are the battery sizes (Amp-hours)? Are you continuously using the handheld equipment on full power?

Try charging the batteries the night before you intend to do yard work, instead of right after use and see if run-time is significantly changed.

Some notes:
-A green light when you press the battery button doesn't mean much. Unless they're really dead, they will float back up in voltage so the button will almost always be green when pressed.
-From my reading of manuals, the backpack blower will only get 10s of minutes on small batteries at full blast, so that could be as-designed behavior depending on what batteries you have.
-Are any of the batteries flashing green while not in use? If so, the battery's control board is broken and will be replaced under warranty. (The battery should flash green after 1 month of disuse and stop after a few hours. That's not an issue.)

Photo of martin Downs

martin Downs

• 504 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
First, don’t you love it when someone says it makes no sense. I also have 3 batteries n two charges, one battery they replaced last month but now I’m thinking it’s the charger because one charger makes a lot of noise. Call them and hope they will do the right thing. I’m seeing tons and tons of the same problems that Im reading on here. How can someone say , that doesn’t make sense. It makes a hole lot of sense !!!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 64,962 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'd still be interested to see answers to Tae's questions: Which batteries do you have and how are you using them?

If the OP has all 2.5 Ah batteries and is running the weed trimmer or backpack blower at full power, 15-20 minutes could be a typical runtime, and I could see the OP underestimating the time in frustration. Turbo mode really chews through power.

If they're 5 Ah batteries, that's another matter.

Photo of Matt George

Matt George

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hoping to call today. I have two 2.5 amp batteries and a 5. The larger one still won’t run 10 mins with my blower. I do run it on high as it’s quite wimpy when it’s not. Maybe coming from stihl commercial equipment spoiled me
(Edited)