Backpack vs Handheld Blower

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Hey guys, I bought the handheld 580 blower.  I am finding it straining on the wrist, even with the Ego strap.  I was wondering if getting the backpack version would be help me out a lot in that department.  
I am on the short side (5ft 3), so I hope that the backpack adjusts smaller so the backpack wouldn't be to low on my back/butt.  I did see that the trigger is adjustable and also the tube, which is good.  What I am looking for is the wrist relief for the most part.  Can you let me know your experiences?
Photo of Chris Huber

Chris Huber

• 382 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
You didn't mention the battery Ah; typically shipped with a 2.5 Ah battery, which is the lightest one. I use a 5.0 Ah to get more run time and hasn't been an issue and I don't use a strap either. I'm almost 70 years old, but active and athletic. You may need to adjust that strap shorter so that it bears the weight instead of your wrist/arm.
Photo of Chris Huber

Chris Huber

• 60 Points
The 580 ships with the 5 Ah. The 530 I think has both options. I adjusted the strap a few times. No matter where the blower rests, the force seems to move the blower back, so it wants to pivot on my side. I still need quite a bit of wrist to maintain position. I'm hoping the backpack blower, with its fixed mount and flexible arm would fix that.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 65,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I have the 575 blower and I notice if I have it on pretty high it pushes back like you mention. But, I rarely feel the need to have it on high. I run low to medium for most things and it works great. I imagine the 580 is even a bit more powerful so might be just as good at lower speeds with less stress on the wrist. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
For most people the backpack blower would be something to buy in addition to a handheld model, unless you use it exclusively for larger jobs. The reason I say that is, the handheld is just so darn convenient to grab and go, while the backpack requires suiting up before use. If the backpack blower was my only option I’d use it very little compared to the handheld.

Your concern is very valid though; these handhelds are pretty powerful and require a firm grip at higher power levels. If dialing back the power to save your wrist isn’t an option, the backpack may be the way to go.

If your budget allows I’d seriously consider having both, even if it meant downsizing the handheld to the cheaper 530 cfm model. As a kit it comes with the lighter 2.5Ah battery which, along with its slightly reduced thrust, makes for a much more wrist friendly experience. It’s still a very capable blower. Having both options with both battery sizes would be the best option, again, if the budget allows.

If you do decide to try another model you have 90 days to exchange it at HD if you’re not happy with it.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.