Available at Home Depot?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

Is the Ego mower still available in Home Depot stores. Last year before moving to FL, they were available in NY stores but not this year in FL. Are we now required to buy sight unseen thru HD's website or is it just my store that doesn't stock this product.?

Thanks in advance
Photo of HJR

HJR

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Howie, it might have been a temporary out of stock situation for your store in Florida.  We are currently about to hit the spring season which means most Home Depot stores should have our whole EGO Power+ line up in stock in the coming weeks (if not already).  If you give us your store number or specific store address, we'd be happy to check with them about their stock status as well.
(Edited)
Photo of HJR

HJR

Jennifer, thank you for the quick reply. My Home Depot store number and address is:

Ocala, #253
3300 Sw 35th Terrace
Ocala, FL 34474

Any information or update would be greatly appreciated.

Howie, we checked into this for you and unfortunately, your store decided not to carry the EGO mowers this year.  :(  However, the mower is currently in stock and available at store #8447 which is about 30 miles away.  Here's their address if you are interested in making a little road trip:  

871 North Hwy 27
Lady LakeFL 32159
(352)751-7600
Photo of HJR

HJR

Jennifer, thank you for checking into this for me. I really appreciate it. Did they offer any explanation why they decided not to carry the EGO mowers?

Can I ask why EGO mowers are sold only through Home Depot and not elsewhere?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Hi Howie, unfortunately, your local Home Depot didn't offer any explanation.  Sorry we don't know more.  At this time, all EGO Power+ are Home Depot exclusives and not available elsewhere.  They wanted to be the first (and only ones for now) to help people experience Power Beyond Belief.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Its too bad because when i asked a hd employee what their quietest mower was, he showed me a honda. They aren't pushing the product like they should be. When i bought my Ego products, they didn't even know where they were in the store. I had to look on my home depot app to find that they were on the end of an aisle. I feel another place would do better, it would have to be a hardware store, not a big box store.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Jacob, you're right. When I bought my Ego mower, blower and trimmer last year the only thing the sales people knew was that they were 56V. It's like the only training they get is by reading the box.

In my opinion, the mower's biggest advantage for anyone living in an urban area where space is limited is the fact the mower folds up and stands on its end. No other mower offers this feature and it is of paramount importance! Why home depot doesn't display a mower in it's folded position is beyond me.

I personally think there's a conflict of interest at home depot. Ryobi is home depot's house brand and as such is probably very profitable for them to sell. There may be very little incentive to train employees about the superior Ego products when they have their own house brand to sell.

Chervon should consider very seriously getting an on line retailer like Amazon to carry their full Ego product range. If free shipping could be done at the same price as a retail store sale that would be a major improvement to the retail strategy. Not to mention the fact that the younger more "high-tech" demographic interested in cordless electric products are also the ones doing the majority of their shopping online.
Photo of Jim Smart

Jim Smart

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It's also not carried at either Tallahassee HD's, or anywhere nearby (closest is Panama City over 1.5 hours away. They carried it last year. This is really annoying. I was going to go buy one and mow my lawn today and no dice. Shipping is showing to be 1.5-2 weeks, a ridiculously long time.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That is a major disappointment! If the Home Depot wants to be the sole retailer for Ego Power products, the least they should have to do is make it available in all large city centers.
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
That how it is with HD Canada as well. Ryobi is front and Center ,
Photo of Doug

Doug

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Stopped in my local HD today to see what they had in stock.  Only noticed the store display of blower.   And 3 of the 12 inch string trimmers. 

Did not see any mowers but then they may have been in different section.  Forget to look for hedge trimmer,  just didn't think of it.  I was looking  to purchase blower and 15 in  trimmer.

Last year it seems they had a dedicated end cap for all the ego equipment..  Now its all ryobi.

Like mentioned above maybe its time to move inventory to Amazon!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's a money game.  I agree though, EGO should look at all of their options, including Amazon.  I have a Home Depot and a Lowes directly across from it, 1 mile from my home.  I tend to go to Lowes for more variety, only Home Depot if same item at lower price. 
Photo of Jim Smart

Jim Smart

I really want to buy the mower, but given that my local HD's (a city big enough to have 2) are not carrying them, only 1 store in a 100 miles radius carries them, and the fact that it uses a proprietary, but not very strong, blade, makes me nervous. EGO seems to be going backwards now, and I wonder where I will get spare parts for my $500 lawn mower if I buy one and the company doesn't make it. The lack of availability in store at Home Depot doesn't bode well.

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Backwards? Explain. I hope they arent going backwards.
There is a reason why mower blades are so huge on gas powered equipment. Gas engines bog down when torque is needed. Electric mowers dont need the moving mass to power through thick patches. Electric mowers just draw more power until overload.
Photo of Jim Smart

Jim Smart

Backwards in that last year the mower was widely available at HD and was the buzz on all the tech websites, and this year it's hard to find. Surely that will put a huge dent in their sales. If I own a mower with a proprietary blade, and the company doesn't sell enough mowers to stay in business, I'll own a $500 paper weight. None of the other mowers really compare, but I'm not really feeling confidence in their business model at the moment.

We wanted to let everyone know that we take of these complaints seriously and are in the process of escalating each and every one of them as they come in to help encourage the Home Depots that don't carry our products in store to start stocking EGO Power+ everywhere.   Please know that it's not our choice to deny you our products.  It's Home Depot's choice based on past sales in the area and other mitigating factors.  We encourage you to call them at 1-800-HOME-DEPOT (466-3337) [Canada: 1-800-628-0525] and let them know how disappointed you are.  
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I too am very nervous and worried about Home Depot's lack of product support in Canada. They do not even carry replacement Line for the Ego Trimmers. How can they sell a Trimmer without replacement line?
I think until my fears can be put to rest I am going to return my Ego Lawn Mower to ensure that I do not go down a path that I cannot get out of. Sorry to have to make this decision.
I wish Ego well with their wonderful product line, and hope they get more support in the future. Leaving it to Home Depot decision making does not seem to be working very well.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

David, any standard trimmer line can be used to refill the trimmer spools; 0.080" for the 12" trimmer and 0.095" for the 15" trimmer.

Any concerns you have regarding part availabity should be addressed with Ego Customer Service. If you need something not readily available through HD they will get you set up:

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The mower was just rated the top electric by Consumer Reports (and recommended by them) in the May 2015 issue. Home Depot hires TONS of seasonal employees in the spring, and they have these binders of info on various featured products that eventually will give all employees a knowledge of the basics, so at some point the new guys should get the info about the Ego mower.

I believe one of the stores near me has the mower raised up on an end cap facing the entrance, with tons of info and all of the smaller tools underneath. About the most prominent featuring possible.

Home Depot has the leverage to insist on exclusivity when negotiating with a new company that doesn't already have any foothold in the market. Now that the Ego name is out there, Home Depot will probably back down and allow sales at other places except Lowes when it comes time to renegotiate their agreement.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.