Are your motors BRUSHLESS?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Just curious Ego. Are your motors of the BRUSHLESS type ? If not they should be at these prices. Good battery technology and chemistry is only a portion of the equation here. True Brushless is the only way folks. Thanks.
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,358 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good question,. I'm not so worried though. It's not a motor that has 100% duty cycle and is on all of time. An hour a week for me. If it wears out within the five years, it's a defect, not the design. Remember that we don't want a 10 year motor mounted in a frame and electronics that won't last that long. Five years is about right before replacement. I hated my four year old expensive honda self propelled after only a few years. Sure it started on first pull, but other parts wore out quickly. What good is a motor if everything around it is failing or worn out.

I'm not saying your concern doesn't have merit, but what's the cost. We want the mower to be affordable and EGO to make a good enough profit to support their products and continue to produce new and well designed products.

My advice to EGO is KISS. Keep It Simple and Solid. ;-)
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

Never owned a 4 year Honda anything ......I have a tendancy to retain my equipment a bit longer than 4-5 years but then I grew up in a generation that was not considered to be a through away generation.Not selling the ca because the ash tray is full. Nope !
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hi Wayne, I'm as frugal as you. My Buick is 14 years old and two other cars are 7 years old. Lawn tools just don't last well. The best I've owned was a John deer riding mower. I used it for about 11 years till it fell apart. My 800.00 honda turned out to be a piece of junk after 3 years. That is why I keep stressing to the EGO team to keep things simple and reliable. Make things a good value.

You do realist that by going battery, you are paying a lot for convenience, and the these lightweight tools aren't built out of industrial materials, but optimized to be light weight. I keep my expectations in line with the convenience and value. More than likely the mower will last 5 to 10 years, but if they offer a nice upgrade in five years at a good price, it still ends up a net savings over my gas honda. I've been emptying my stored gas into my cars, it's nice not having gas lawn tools!

My biggest concern with all of my different brand battery tools are the batteries. My hand tools won't wear out, but dang the batteries are expensive, and they wear out.
(Edited)
Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

• 798 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Why does a push mower need to be light weight because it's battery powered? I ca understand if it's self propelled.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,760 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Less weight to push.
Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

Umm I get that but wouldn't that apply equally to push gas mowers, in regards to the deck and the chassis? Or is it because the battery and the motor weigh a lot more than their gas counterparts? Every gas mower I've ever had was steel. I know plastic is lighter. Also why then is EGO making steel decks with the new brushless motors and are they the only ones that are brushless? I'm not being critical just curious .
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Noo. These mowers are way lighter than the gas ones because they can be.

I think the steel deck mowers were later developments, or aimed at more of commercial applications and also home owners still.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 67,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Aside from easier to push, carry, store, etc, they are also lighter for shipping. That way Ego can ship more of them, potentially, at a time at similar or maybe even less shipping cost than shipping the same number of gas/metal mowers.  Ever wonder why so many things that used to be in glass and steel are now in plastic and aluminum? Shipping costs.
Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

I guess I wasn't clear- somebody said it was important that BATTERY powered mowers are made out of plastic. I asked why if they're not self propelled. My point isn't that I'm arguing against the advantages of lighter weight just that all those arguments- shipping costs ,etc..- would equally apply to gas mowers, no?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Lighter weight for gas mowers would be nice, too, but most plastics don't hold up well with gas mowers because of the weight of gas engines as well as the heat they generate. Honda has made some plastic-deck gas mowers but they had to be recalled because the plastic they used was prone to cracking. They're using a new type of plastic now but I haven't read any reviews of them.

In addition to weight, you also don't have to worry about scratching the paint or the deck rusting with a plastic deck.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I can say yes. A lighter mower won't have as much ground penetration. Thick turf can cause the mower to float if it is too light. In those cases thinner wheels are required. You will know if you cut the grass and go over the same spot again and it still cuts more off. So if your cutting tall grass, overlapping one wheel will give a uneven mowing path. This is actually a problem for reel mowers more than rotary mowers. I notice it with my mower in my profile picture that I built.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Thanks for your question, Wayne. The motors in the EGO Power+ Blower and Chain Saw are brushless.  The motors in the Hedge Trimmer, String Trimmer and Mower contain long-wearing brushes that are designed to be maintenance-free.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Very nice.  Sort of what I figured.  The darn thing will outlast me.  I figure it will be kind of cool to have the motor to mess with after the tools wear out.  Well done, looks like the EGO design team went out to build the best.  
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

Thanks Jennifer. Great info. and an informed consumer will make the best choices and remain happy & Loyal. Thanks again.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The brushless motor not only lasts longer. It uses less energy so the batteries would last longer. The "yellow brand" is made with a brushless motor and it looks like even though it has less volts, it will run longer and more efficient. My fear is that I'll buy the Ego this year and next year they come out with the model with brushless motor. What's the projection, Ego? Brushless mower in the future?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

The motors in the mower and chainsaw ARE brushless.

Photo of Gary

Gary

Whoa SCDC, are you sure? Everything I've read on here and other sites state that the motors on the lawmower are NOT brushless. Only the Trimmer and Blower are brushless. I hope I'm wrong. Can you confirm? Thanks
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

And I stand corrected!  But looking at the duty cycle of a mower, I don't see a problem with it having brushes.  Think about this, how many hours in the year is the motor running on the mower?  I'm guessing most people mow once a week for about 6 months out of the year, or about 24 hours a year.  That is not much run time on a motor.  Most motors with brushes run 24/7 for many years. 

Thanks for correcting me on that one!

The Chainsaw is brushless. 

Just for clarification: The motors in the chainsaw and blower are brushless.  The mower is not brushless.  We can't speak to the future generations of the mower's motor but we'd like to assure you that the carbon brushes we use in our mower are very long wearing and of high quality; they are designed to be maintenance-free. In the unlikely event that it would become necessary, the carbon brushes could be replaced and we will have service centers in place very soon that could do so.
Photo of Gary

Gary

Thanks Jennifer. Like it mentioned before, to me it's not an issue of longevity. I believe your motor will last as long as the warranty at least. I'm concerned about the loss of power and battery life. Some motor companies tout that the brushless motor has 20% - 30% more power (an thus longer battery life) over an equal voltage brush motor. In any case, thank you very much for your responses. You've answered my questions. :)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hi Gary,

You got me a bit more curious about the claims.  I believe that what you state is true.  Found this nice article, short and sweet about the benefits.  http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/news/whats-so-great-about-brushless-motor-power-tools

I've never really cared much about brushless verses one with brushes, but with dropping the cord and going batteries, it makes sense to look at this.

Thank you.

Photo of TK

TK

• 4,266 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Products that do not require variable speed will do fine with a brush based motor. Seems this may their approach. Why spend extra on a technology that will not give much of a payback. (RTO).

Thanks
Photo of Raul

Raul

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I own an EGO Mower, and I thought it had a BLDC Motor...just because its awesome power, and long lasting time of operation.

I am very happy with this Mower, very...basically, because I will never brake my arm ever again pulling the ridiculous string to start the small farting machines...plus no spill on my beautiful (now) green grass.

On the subject...about BLDC versus Brushed Motors...I love Brushed Motors...even though I own an Electric Bike with a Hub BLDC Motor and go 70 MPH...Brush Motors have much more torque than BLDC...plus all the controllers required to run BLDC where all MOSFET's (Transistor's Ultrafast Switchers) go bad and burn very quick, unless it is a $600.00 or $800.00 one...with self cooling and all.

Regards to all

Raul

Rual, thanks for taking the time to write and let us know about your experiences with your mower.  
Is the newer 15" string trimmer brushless?  If not, then my dealer lied to me.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yep, it's brushless.
Beautiful!  Thanks.  
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

It sure is. And its beautiful.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

It's brushless but gets tangled sometimes, so you have to brush it.   Yeah, ok.   Poor attempt.