Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

• 4,058 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
  • Ready for a relaxing Sunday

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 32,840 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Always enjoy your videos KA, but not sure about your batting average today?  Love the music and totally agree with you on the "hassle" of gas operated tools.  My 600 CFM is still performing well "week after week" without fails - especially the "ease" of starting and the "hassle free" maintenance.  Thanks for sharing!
Photo of keenanj

keenanj

• 2,978 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Very cool. Thank you for doing this! I forgot about the joy of mixing gas. File that under things I don't miss. 
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 6,174 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You forgot to mention the joy of dealing with ethanol clogged carburetor jets after those devices sit for the winter...:(
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Thanks David.  I'm always shocked when someone does not know that cordless tools have equal performance to gas units.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 16,326 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
not true when it comes to chains saws, and mowers.   I've owned and rented gas CS's and have owned Honda mowers.  The EGO units aren't even close in power.

HOWEVER, the EGO blower is quite remarkable.  I've got the 530 CFM and it's amazingly powerful.   Like anything else, you have to pick and choose which products from a manufacturer work best for you.  Same when you go to a restaurant--not every dish is going to be as agreeable to you, as some other dishes.   In other words--DON'T GENERALIZE.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

OK, I get your point.  If you are a logger in Alaska I would never recommend a cordless tool but for the other 99.5% residential homeowners they are perfect.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

no, the cordless CS is NOT "perfect".  Have you ever used a decent chain saw?  The EGO CS is at least an order of magnitude less capable.  It's too wimpy to be even "acceptable", much less "perfect".   I'm just a tract home owner.  Not a logger. 
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

I used to own an 18" stihl chainsaw - sold it now that I have my EGO.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

you didn't sell a gas powered CS because the EGO is as powerful, and you know it.  :)  Like me, you switched to electric for OTHER reasons--not because it out-muscled your gas unit.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,688 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We just bought a lot that's covered in large cedar trees where our house is going to be. All things considered, the Ego 16" chainsaw does a remarkable job, but in no way would I put it up against a professional gas powered saw.

I'm sure it would compare well with cheaper gas saws, but even cutting cedar it will bog down if you start to lean on it. It cuts quite well if you "let the saw do the work".

Apparently there are lots of arborists going to battery chainsaws for the convenience, but they'll surely have a big nasty gas saw in the trailer for when the going gets tough!

This is the 16" Ego after taking down about an 18" cedar that was about 50' tall. Had to go around the other side to complete the cut, the 16" bar didn't quite make it through:

And here's my wife giving it a try on a tree I'd just dropped:

All in all I think the Ego chainsaw is incredible, within its limits of course.
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

Dave you are right - the Stihl chainsaw was a monster and was way more than I needed in terms of power.  So like you said, for the convenience and adequate power for light brush and smaller trees, i have been very satisfied with the EGO.

Blue Angel - you better make sure you behave now that your wife is comfortable using a chainsaw :)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,138 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Blue - you really gave that saw (and your wife) a workout.

I totally agree, the EGO has it's place. I became interested in turning bowls a couple years ago and discovered you need to find free wood or you will go broke. I bought a 20" Husqvarna for the big stuff and had an electric Makita for use around the house and trimming blanks in my garage/shop. I recently bought the 16" EGO. I've given the new EGO a little workout and it performs as well as my corded saw did. Plus I have the huge benefit to be able to throw it in the trunk and not worry about gas or cords.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 32,824 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Blue, your wife is not appropriately dressed for the job. Where is her EGO hat, safety glasses, and EGO t-shirts?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,072 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Michael G - lets see some pictures of the process and the finished products.
Heck post in the contest thread and maybe you will win some goodies.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,688 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
DHD, we were both sporting the latest line of Ego undergarments, but given the nature of this forum thought it wiser not to model them. :-D
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

TMI.   :)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

TMI.   :)