Anyone have luck selling a used gen1 Ego mower?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

Love my 20" Ego mower but really want the self-propelled because of the steep grade in our back yard. I set the price at $300 on craigslist and facebook, posted pics and info, no bites. Not a one. I'm thinking people have no idea how cool this mower is.

Has anyone ever had luck selling a used Ego mower? Any advice would be appreciated. I can't justify buying the new one until the old one is sold. Ego needs a trade up program! ;)
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

• 626 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
They are so new, lots of people don't know about them.  Luckily, I don't have a real need for self-propelled so sticking to my 20" one that I love as it is.   If you lived in Oklahoma, I would talk up your mower that you want to sell.  Good luck.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Do like I did. Keep the old one and gripe about wasting money on the new one until you actually start the new one up and use it. Then gripe about it again after you've finished mowing...lol

That being said...if someone offered me $250 for the old one I'd probably take it.

As mentioned above though, most aren't going to think the mower is worth the money because they are still stuck on gas and don't care enough about mowing to bother making a change.
(Edited)
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

Maybe I'll drop the price to $250.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I think $250 is fair but you are going to have to do some selling on your end because they can get a good new gas mower for that price.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Haven't gotten rid of mine yet, but I expect the new technology combined with the non-transferable warranty don't bode well for resale value. Probably would do best with a friend/neighbor who has heard you sing its praises for two years. Or that could bring it back and ask you to get service under warranty for them.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
How about giving it to someone? Got an elderly neighbor who owns a gas mower? Parents? A kid who wants to make a few bucks cutting lawns this summer?

Selling would be nice, but doing someone a favor would be pretty nice too. :-)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Doesn't help offset the cost of upgrading, but a great idea nonetheless.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Tools are like toys for me, and I sell tools all the time as I upgrade my older or cheaper stuff. It's almost like a hobby for me!

The idea of gifting a used Ego mower popped into my head since I was thinking of what to do with my mower if I was ever to upgrade. I was thinking it would make a great gift for my Dad, who lives in a townhouse with a small lawn and has a gas mower.

Unfortunately for us northern folk, the cost of things has risen considerably offer the winter since the Can/US exchange rate has tumbled significantly.

Last year the cost of Ego's OPE was not much higher here than in the US... not so now. The new push mower, the spiritual successor to the original 20" mower, sells for CAN$699 now, and the self propelled mower kit sells for CAN$849!

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.21...

$849 is almost twice what I paid for my Ego mower two years ago. It certainly would be awesome to have, but at that price it may have to remain a "nice to have". I don't recall getting a raise this winter, lol. :-)
Photo of Rob

Rob

I have a friend who lives in Canada who comes to the States twice a year. She happened to mention that the trip would cost her so much more this year.

As far as the mower goes, it's nice to have but not a necessity. I look at it as an investment in a piece of exercise equipment as I often mow twice a week and have a huge hill in my yard that I cut vertically.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Exercise equipment... right. I'll have to try that angle and see what my wife says. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it!!!
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

I've considered the idea of gifting it and that would be a blast, but on this one, my brain and wallet kinda need a bit of cash to justify the new toy.  ;)
Photo of Rob

Rob

So Blue, did she buy it?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I'm not going to mention that to her until just the right moment... probably that hazy, hallucinatory moment right as she's falling asleep. If I can get any sort of positive feedback like a muffled "uh-huh" then we're good to go!

Actually, we just had our 9th anniversary. 10 is less than a year away... nutin' says luvin' like a new self propelled mower, right?

Right...
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Are you near north west Virginia? I may be interested in purchasing your mower.
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

If you're going to the KY Derby this year, you'd be able to pick it up from me.

I kept the original box for some reason, so I would consider shipping it. My guess is shipping would cost $50 or so. If you paid $315 I'd ship it. No pressure though. I'd rather you just go to the Derby and pick it up on your way back. I'll see you then!
Photo of Ricky Gonzales

Ricky Gonzales

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I bought mine off a guy on Craigslist. It was only used once. I paid him $225 for it. 
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

Ricky did yours not come with the battery or was it haunted by chance? My great grandad had a haunted farm tractor he sold for $3 back in the 20's. True story.
Photo of Ricky Gonzales

Ricky Gonzales

came with battery and rapid charger. 
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

So it was either stolen or it's haunted. Either way you got a killer deal.
Photo of Ricky Gonzales

Ricky Gonzales

The guy had it on CL for almost 3 months. I made an offer of $225 and he took it. He had mentioned he bought it but ended up hiring a landscaper so he didn't have a need for it. 
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 812 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I was able to sell my 20" push version (purchased last May) for $275 on Craigslist.  I bought it hoping that the hill in front of our house was not too much of a challenge.  (It was, unfortunately.)  I loved the mower but, when I heard of the release of a self-propelled mower last month, I knew that I had to change.  I listed it a week or so ago on a local community board, Craigslist and eBay.  
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

Similar situation here with the hill, and I just sold it today for that same price. All the sudden had lots of questions on it from Craigslist.

Got the new mower ordered. I wish home depot carried them in our stores around here. Now I'm mowerless until March 29th. My yard is going to be out of control by then. ;)
Photo of Rob

Rob

Let us know how you feel about it when you get it. I have had mine for a bit and used it 3 times. Pretty nice.

Home Depot is still holding onto old stock so they won't bring in the new mowers. What they don't understand is that people who haven't yet bought those units won't be now buying them st $450.
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

Mower got here a couple days early. Holy cow this thing is awesome. It was dragging me up our hill - ended up doing a vertical cut up the sloped back yard (self propelled plus it was 60 degrees outside). Now the trimmer on the other hand.. It's bossing me around - still getting used to the power of it. I traded up from a 24V Makita which was great other than it didn't seem to bump feed the string very well. I kinda tore some things up with the Ego trimmer today. Hoping I'll get used to it after a couple of weeks. I wish there was a setting where you could dial it back a bit as I'm only using it to make things pretty.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great feedback on the mower!

Which trimmer did you get, the 12 or 15?
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

The mower is incredible. I forgot to mention it had no problem going up the hill with wet wheels.

I got the 15".  I didn't know a 12" existed but see it has "constant speed control" which leads me to believe I can control the speed, and has a nice metal guard on the front. I see it's been discontinued at HD. Should I search for one elsewhere? I think, like Rob said, this 15" is going back if I can find the receipt.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I found the 15" a bit hard to control until I got used to modulating the variable speed trigger. Once I got used to controlling the speed I fell in love with it.

Might I suggest giving it a few weeks to see how it works out? You could even get another trimmer first, use them back to back and then choose between them.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Oh, forgot to mention, the 15" has enough power to easily trim large areas where the mower can't reach, like under and around down spouts. That's one area where my previous trimmer struggled. The added cut size of 15" really helped there.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I gave it a couple days. After I about tore my wood fence in half because there was no guard and I was heavy handed on the throttle, it had to go.

Another issue was that when trying to edge with it, I had to literally fight it to trim in a straight line. The two trimming lines did not seem to want to work together.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The 15" is definitely the better of the two trimmers. The 12" did NOT allow you to control the speed (pull trigger = full power) where the trigger on the 15" gives you variable power depending on how far you pull it. The 15" is actually capable of cutting much slower than the 12" with a slight pull of the trigger.

If you still find the 15" is capable of cutting better than you need, try changing the line you use. There are tons of options out there optimized for different kinds of cutting. If you can find someone who isn't seasonal in the outdoor department at any store they should be able to help you, otherwise read reviews online to see which types of string get poor reviews for strength/cutting.
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

I can't imagine myself getting good control over the trigger when physically trying to hold the trimmer AND make straight lines (edging), but I'll that try out one more time. Also, once you goof and the string makes contact with soil in the wrong spot (when edging), that string grabs the ground and wants to walk away to do more damage. I think this thing would be great for larger areas like Blue Angel mentioned.
Photo of Rob

Rob

If you had a big, open field with grass about two feet tall, it would be perfect. Since my lawn is maintained about twice a week, it's a bit much.
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

I agree Rob, and the quality of every single one of their other products leads me to believe they know this and they're working on making something more appropriate for well manicured lawns vs. large areas. I say that knowing that a pro lawn guy probably wouldn't have any problems with this trimmer, but I would guess the avg consumer might be prone to tear stuff up with it if they're using like I am to edge and barely trim in small areas.
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

I too fit into the average consumer category with trimmers. Could be why I didn't care for it bit that is what all companies are going to have to do to survive.....satisfy the average consumer.

They need only 75% of the power, a guard, and a wheel attachment. Single or dual string? A single line is fine for the average consumer. Oh, and the biggest thing....give it some manners.

The mower is very powerful but has very good manners. It is easily controlled and acts the way it should.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's simple.  String is not meant to edge against dirt and hard surfaces.  The gets jerked around when it hits dirt, and the slapping action sucks.

Only a bladed edger gives that perfect edged line between the hard surface and the grass.  The look is so polished, beautiful.  
Photo of Rob

Rob

Yes, blades are the best but ultimate ly more expensive. I have a bladed Ryobi or black&decker somewhere in the garage. It is inconvenient at best grabbing a whole different tool after trimming. My yard is pretty good sized.
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

I figured you would like the mower.

I also owned the trimmer a while back. I made the same observation back then. I have like 4 inches of grass to trim. I don't need a trimmer with enough power to cut down trees. That wouldn't really be a problem in itself. The real problem is that there is no way to control the power output so it tears up things if you are not experienced with that type trimmer.

I ended up returning it for a much more civilized worx trimmer that has all the power I need and is easy to control. On top of that, it has a removable wheel to help with edging.
(Edited)
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Blue Angel is right, it might be worth giving it a little time. Actually being able to control the speed makes handling it a lot easier. It deflinetly takes some getting used to.
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

I used the trimmer again this week. What I found is  their definition of "variable" is pretty much only 2 speeds that I'll just call "regular power" and "SUPER power". There's no real in-between and consistently running at "regular power" is technically doable (and I think I'll get better with more practice) but not very practical in terms of comfort or keeping a consistent "regular speed" throughout.  Keeping the trigger open just the right amount while edging a whole lawn is a bit tricky. A simple switch from regular power to full speed would do the trick - then I could comfortably keep my hand on the trigger and not have to focus on staying in "regular power" mode.

I was even thinking I wish there was something I could tape around the trigger to keep it from going full throttle but that might prevent it from starting up because you need to fully pull that trigger to get it going. Should I make a separate post about this to inform Ego of my opinion? Most reviews I find don't mention this and only focus on the surprising amount of power it has, so I wonder if more feedback like mine might be useful to them.
Photo of Rob

Rob

While I don't care for the trimmer because of it's lack of refinement, your problem being another reason why it isn't refined, can be lessened by repeated use. Getting used to it.

A tool that is going to be used by someone trying to maintain an individual lawn should be intuitive. That trimmer is anything but.
(Edited)
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

They just need a way to dial this thing back a bit. I think any of the manufacturers in this area could build a powerful trimmer if they're working with 56V, so they'll need to adjust this line soon, I'd think or they'll have the beast trimmer while their competitors will offer more flexible units that are more friendly to avg users. Their mower is certainly awesome in every way I can think of, so I think they'd like to know our thoughts.
Photo of Rob

Rob

You're saying exactly what I have said a few days ago about the trimmer. Uncontrolled power.

Yes, the mower is powerful but very refined for a mower. It does what a mower should do without being hard to control.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Hey @Feedbacknoise, that doesn't sound at all like how my 15" Ego trimmer behaves when the trigger is pulled.

First, when the trigger there is a brief delay turning on initially, which could make you think that you need to pull the trigger further. But you don't.

Second, if the trigger is barely pulled then you can actually hear the whir of the motor and the trimmer head will rotate slowly enough to follow with your eyes, far to slow for doing any trimming.

Third, the trigger is the most sensitive of any I've ever used (after the half-second initial startup delay). It feels very linear and you can see and hear the pitch of both the motor and hum of the spinning string modulate with every slightest squeeze or release of the trigger.

The function of the variable speed is very much familiar to me from my previous gas trimmers and I found it very intuitive to control easily. With a gas trimmer, the trigger increases the throttle, and takes a second to rev up the motor and increase the speed of the string's rotation.

With an electric motor, there is no revving or delay in increasing or decreasing power, so I find the trigger to be much more sensitive and responsive than any gas trimmer. It seems very strange that you would only be able to achieve two speeds.

And I would think that a physical barrier to prevent fully pulling the trigger would be a very simple and effective way to lower the speed of the trimmer head if you find the maximum speed too powerful.
Photo of Feedbacknoise

Feedbacknoise

The trigger is sensitive, yes, but it's difficult to stay at one chosen level of power unless you're just going full throttle. I would compare it to holding up a glass of antifreeze in my left hand without spilling it while I push my mower with my right hand.

You've obviously mastered this machine and feel comfortable with it, which is great, but I think Ego and it's customers would benefit from giving this the next model an easier way to consistently control the power on it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Are you thinking a separate speed control lever and a trigger that is just an on/off switch? That's the way the blower works, which is fine for the blower, but I think I prefer the variable trigger of the trimmer the way it is personally.

I'm with David on this one. I find the trigger to be very easy to control, and find it useful for slowing down when trimming around my deck so the strings don't damage the wood.

I'm almost wondering if there isn't an issue with the trigger function on your unit?
Photo of Jason Baker

Jason Baker

• 64 Points
Feedbacknoise, if you can hold the trimmer at a medium or low speed, try "pumping" it on and off, squeezing and releasing the trigger quickly when you get near a sensitive cutting area. I suppose you could try some different string types, as well (although I'm still on the initial spool).

My most difficult adjustment is that the string seems to spin in the opposite direction to my Echo gas trimmer I've had for 20 years. Kind of like using a "lefty" tool if you are a "righty". I would confirm this, but I haven't picked up the Echo since I bought the Ego. So I have been tearing things up getting used to it. Love it. No mixing gas and doing the primer dance.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.