Anti-Theft for the PowerStation

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Under Consideration
I want to use the 2000w PowerStation outside my RV. It’s ideal during “quiet hours” when generators are prohibited. However the RV connections are outside. The unit can be easily chained securely. But the batteries themselves could be stolen from the PowerStation. I’d like to see an accessory or bracket that locks all 4 batteries to the PowerStation for security and to prevent theft. This is a problem anytime you need unattended operation of the PowerStation.
Photo of Paul Fessler

Paul Fessler

• 186 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of William

William

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
True that if unattended those expensive batteries could easily be stolen. Might be best to custom build a anti theft cage for it. Also remember that the power station is not waterproof so maybe you could add some rain cover while remembering to leave enough room for ventilation.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,770 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
As the Ego power station can be used indoors as there is no exhaust, perhaps creating an inside power connection would be better than building and outdoor theft proof weather proof cage.
Photo of William

William

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is a great solution for this specific case. Thing is I don’t think that the solution would work on a large scale, for example if 100 other RV users would like to do this. Not everyone wants to cut into their RV and modify the wiring. Not to mention the safety aspect. Also a anti theft cage could be used in multiple applications like tail gating etc.... It would add value to the product.
Photo of Paul Fessler

Paul Fessler

There is the CarPod 2200-01 Cargo Cage which has a lockable lid and can be stowed/operated from the vehicle’s receiver with a locking hitch pin. I was thinking of a bracket that could stay on the unit except for battery changes. But the cage idea is available now and protects the entire unit. There is also a bag available which would provide some protection from the elements. www.carpodrack.com
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,548 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Paul, what is your intended use outside of the RV? I'm assuming you mean you don't want to power the entire RV but just some device you have outside of the RV. 
Be aware that, effectively, you are dealing with a 20A power source so running the entire RV isn't really advisable, so that's why I'm assuming you are just wanting to power some device outside of the RV.

Photo of Paul Fessler

Paul Fessler

I intend to connect to the main power of the RV, but bearing in mind that I can only run lights while so connected.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,542 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
And be aware that the lights are 12V, not 120V so what you will be doing is running the RV's converter to keep a charge on the RV batteries. Also, fridge, water heater, and furnace all require 12V. I've gone back and forth as to whether the EGO inverter is the right tool to power an entire RV (even if not using anything in the RV requiring 120V) and I think it might fall short. Also, you have your 30A to 15A pigtail since the EGO doesn't have an RV 30A plug (or 50A if your rig is set up for 50A).
Maybe you've already tried it and like it for how you intend to use it? Just want to secure those batteries.
Photo of Paul Fessler

Paul Fessler

Keeping the converter running and the RV’s 12v battery charged is actually my main goal. I haven’t tried it (yet), but currently I need to run the tow vehicle whenever the onboard battery gets low. I think this will work better for me. A 15 to 30 pigtail will definitely be needed as well. Yes, main worry is securing the batteries.
(Edited)
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 1,982 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
If everything is 12V, wouldn't a high current DC-DC buck converter be better/more efficient? Yes, EGO doesn't make this, so you'd have to hack something together yourself, ...but I'm sure it would be cheaper than using the pricey powerstation. Not to mention it would be a cool project!
Photo of thedude130

thedude130

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Make a suicide cord (two male ends) and plug the EGO inverter into one of your RV indoor 120 receptacles. Just make damn sure you shut off you RV main breaker first. Done. I do this with mine. Just make sure you don’t plug or unplug the thing with the inverter on. Runs my AC or microwave no problem.

If this scares you, then you’ll need to install a transfer switch inside (manual or auto) connected to a female receptacle. That is the “proper” way.