Mower taking forever to get back from repair

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Home Depot repair issues

I purchased my Ego mower almost two years ago and everything worked fine until this June when the mower just wouldn't start up. After a very frustrating 30 minutes on hold my call was dropped because apparently that's when the call center closed. I called again the next day and again waited on hold for at least 30 minutes and then finally decided to leave a message. Someone called me back the next day to do troubleshooting, but I wasn't near my mower so I had to call back the next day after I did what she suggested to the mower. The mower still didn't work. I called back and waited on hold for another half hour and left another message. I got a call back the next day and they suggested that I take it in to Home Depot (where I originally purchased it) to be sent out to Ego to be serviced. I took it to HD on June 5th. Ego has had it ever since. It is now July 25th and it is still marked "in transit" in HD's system. It was marked "in transit" on July 5th. I'm beyond frustrated with this company and this terrible experience. I would rave about the mower before this. I loved it, but no more.
So, the question is, what can be done about this? Is there anybody here that can check on this to get me an answer as to when I can use my mower this summer? I need to get this back so I can USE IT on my lawn. This is some of the worst, if not the worst, customer service I have ever experienced.
Photo of Clint

Clint

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • VERY ANNOYED

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,362 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
A suggestion is once you find out when it's due to  come back to you, go out and buy another mower. You'll have 90 days to return the mower, or 1 year to return it if you use an HD credit card. Either way, use that mower until yours comes back and then return the second mower to HD.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 62,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's a home Depot repair program issue. But since ego signed with them. It's their inherited issue. So sick of hearing about these issues ego.
Sorry to hear about this Clint. Hopefully some from ego will handle this.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,430 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
You have our apologies, and we totally understand why you're annoyed, Clint. According to our database, when we last spoke with both you and Home Depot on the 11th, your repair was complete and being returned to your local store. This means that if it's not already there, your mower will arrive any moment. We suggest calling your store to see when it will be ready for pickup.
(Edited)
Photo of Clint

Clint

According to HD, the mower was in transit since the 5th of July. It is now July 30th and all I have is a guess from HD that it will arrive the first week of August. That's two whole months I've been without my mower...in the middle of summer. That's 8 cuttings I will have missed this year from your faulty product and RIDICULOUS amount of repair and return time. I bought a mower so I could have it and use it on my lawn. It is an utter inconvenience and I have had to pay and barter with neighbors to borrow there mowers for the time I've missed with mine. Who wants to have to ask neighbors to borrow their mowers and who wants to pay to have their lawn mowed when they already BOUGHT a mower, not even two years ago?! Like I said, when the mower was working, it was great, but this is a huge pain and no customer deserves it.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 16,326 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Repeat after me, Clint: "I will buy a "loaner" for use if my EGO mower has to be repaired in the future.  I will return it prior to the expiration of the full-refund return period".
Photo of Clint

Clint

There's no reason so be condescending, Dave. I'm just stating a huge inconvenience that this company has placed on me, and presumably other customers. They need to know how their customers are treated. And this is not how you get repeat customers. I should NOT have to buy another one and then return it.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

He isn't being condescending. He is serious. And I agree with him. If this is the game home Depot wants to play, then let them figure out what to do with a ton of returned tools. You paid for a tool with a warranty. Get that warranty any way you need to.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Clint,  I was simply reiterating how important it is for one to have a mower during mowing season, and the best way to make sure you have one, is to BUY A LOANER.    Nothing condescending about that useful suggestion.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

EGO gives you apologies.   I want to help you PRACTICALLY solve your problem.   Which do you prefer?  a solution, or apologies?
(Edited)
Photo of Derek

Derek

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hello I'm also waiting for ego to call about the warranty issue with my lawn mower. They said they would call shortly but it's been like two weeks. I guess I will try to call them again
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

As someone already mentioned (beat me to it), buy another unit and return it within the permitted time frame for a full refund.  consider it a "loaner".
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Yup
Photo of Chris Chase

Chris Chase

• 822 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The man should have been given a new or refurbished unit back in June. HD then sends his un-working unit out for repair and when it is repaired EGO stocks it. Then the next guy who has a problem gets the repaired unit RUSHED to HD for him use. If EGO stands behind their "wonderful" product then this should not be an issue. It should have always been a warranty EXCHANGE program until they can figure out what the hell is going on.
Photo of Geoff

Geoff

• 690 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Add me to a list of "frustrated with repair time at HD" for EGO mower. I've been an EGO champion for a while, but this is making it hard to stay enthusiastic. :(

The Home Depot repair person jokingly said I could rent an EGO from them if I needed.....
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Are you sure he was joking?
Photo of Geoff

Geoff

• 690 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Well, he was halfway joking but would've happily rented it to me for $18 (per day, I guess?)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Buy a new one and return it when yours is fixed. Stick it to home Depot if they want to take forever to fix these things.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

No way should you literally have to rent one!!   BUY one and return it before the expiration of the full-refund return window expires.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,158 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'm worried and wondering about all these terrible stories of long wait times for repair.

Should all the blame be put on THD? Or doesn't EGO deserve some of the blame?

Many talk about THD wanting to only promote Ryobi cordless mowers. Does anyone know how THD repairs these and how long it takes for the turn-a-round?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

There is no set time frame but sometimes it takes MONTHS.   Just buy something in the interim and return it for a refund prior to the expiration of the refundable period.  If you use an HD credit card, I THINK that time is one year.  Otherwise, it should be 90 days.
(Edited)
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,430 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Please note that it should NEVER take months. Again, that is well outside of our agreement with The Home Depot. If you are concerned that your repair is taking too long, please call us at 1-855-346-5656. Also, don't forget that you can call The Home Depot directly for updates on your service status. They can be reached at 1-855-284-3349.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.