An idea for a super high pole saw in excess of 20'

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
The height limiting factor for cutting tree limbs is getting the chainsaw part up to what your trying to cut that is on the end of a long pole.

What if initially you didn't have the heavy chain saw part on the top of the pole, just a clamping hook ( more on that later ).

Here's how it would work you take this relatively light duty pole with a clamping hook on the end and hook it onto the limb/branch you want to cut, press the clamp button on a small remote control, next with the bottom of the pole on the ground you press the climb button and a self propelled chainsaw/pole climbing unit that is near the bottom starts moving up the pole stops when it reaches the top and locks in place, you move away from the tree press the cutting button to cut the limb, a servo in the pivot keeps the chainsaw blade advancing, press the unlock button for the climbing unit, press the descend button and when the climbing unit is down you hold on to the pole then press the release clamp button.

I haven't made one of these so I don't know if it works.

The hook on the pole would have to clamp down on the limb being cut so it wouldn't slide off after it's cut so the idea I have is to use a loaded spring clamp mechanism ( the spring would have to be manually loaded each time on the ground ). for dependability I would use a miniature RC servo to set and unset the clamp.

The pole part might be more like an aluminum I beam so there's a flat surfaces for the motorized pinch rollers to run on.

Note this would be for tree's with limbs that are strong enough to not break under the added weight of the pole trimmer, but to be on the safe side you could prop up a 2nd pole under the limb before sending up the climbing unit.

I think if EGO wanted to they would be a good company to develop this.
Photo of Andy

Andy

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Seems like an interesting idea!
Photo of Andy

Andy

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I made a mistake in the subject it should be;
"An idea for a super high pole saw in excess of 20'"
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,908 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Andy, thanks for the idea.  We changed the title of the idea to match what you originally intended. :)  We'll be sure to keep you posted here if this comes to fruition.