AL0951 twist line

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
The manual for the EGO ST1500F Rapid Reload Bump Head string trimmer recommends Model Number AL0951 twist cutting line, implying that's an EGO part number.  But this particular cutting line or any EGO-branded line does not seem to be available anywhere including Home Depot or the EGO web site.  Also, the cutting line that was on the trimmer when I bought it is not twisted.  It's just round in cross-section.  Home Depot sells several different brands of cutting  line for string trimmers, but none of them are EGO brand and none of them are twisted.  Why is twist line recommended, and if it's all that important, where is one supposed to buy it?  So since this part number appears to be non-existent or unavailable, what type of cutting line does EGO recommend for its trimmers? 
Photo of Alice Simpson

Alice Simpson

• 838 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Robert John

Robert John

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The twist line presents a curved cutting edge...like a sabre. When you are cutting heavy brush, you need something that will cut through, not "beat ". Twist line doesn't do well with edging or trimming. Because of the constant contact with "hard " surfaces, like concrete or brick, a more constant thickness line is desired.
With all that, I use the Echo Black Diamond, 0.095 with the Power head 15" trimmer for brush. For trimming around the yard, I use the Rhino-tuff 0.080 for my 12". That black diamond goes through thick brush like a beast! And using the high speed setting it is invincible, Love it!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Alice, you are free to use whatever trimmer line you wish. Any line up to .095" diameter will work just fine.

Note that most aftermarket line will make the trimmer louder than the factory line, a benefit of the twisted design. Most people prefer the performance of the aftermarket line, though.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

• 6,328 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

I just happened to run across some EGO line in Amazon  (US site):

https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-AL2450S-Premium-Quality/dp/B01N39HQH5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14...

It is $19.99 + shipping for 164 feet and it usually ships in 1 to 2 months!

What is not to love with this deal?  
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,770 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Umm ... well.... don't really love the fact that it is out of stock i.e. ships in 1 to 2 months.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

I am not too wild about the $20 for 164 feet either.     
Photo of Robert John

Robert John

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Echo 0.95 Black Diamond is $16.97 for 253ft at Home Cheapo. Love this stuff.
Photo of Dane Earley

Dane Earley

• 622 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm using .065 line with my rapid reload and it works great. I bought 1000' for $20 a couple years ago and I refuse to toss it out just to buy the good stuff.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

If it works good, great deal, especially when you have a 1000 feet.