AH1500 Bump Head : line only feeding on one side

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • In Progress

After a couple of months of use, the AH1500 bump head on my ST1500SF trimmer started feeding only one end of the line.  This is with new 0.095" round line (or hex line).  EGO sent me a replacement under warranty.  The replacement bump head, after a few more months of use, started having the same problem. After winding on a new line, without touching or bumping the head to the ground, just running the motor, the string on one end starts disappearing.  After another month of use, both ends of the line disappear (again, without bumping the head at all), so it's completely useless.

There is no debris in the head assembly, and it has less than 10 hours of use. Any ideas on what's going on?

EGO support indicates there is a new bump head model AH1530, but the warranty for the original was only for 30 days.The older bump head is not even available at H.D. online.

Photo of 356V

356V

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Wow, highly unusual for multiple heads to fail the same way. I've used everything from cheap corded to high-end gas to high end cordless and never experienced any issues with the bump head. Hope another user have some ideas. Good luck.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The warranty on the trimmer is five years from date of purchase, and that would apply even if they send you new parts. Getting a new bump head isn't suddenly cut your warranty down to 30 days.

Unless something is visibly broken or a part came off I don't see how the bump head would suddenly start working differently. I can't help but wonder whether you're loading the string incorrectly.
Photo of 356V

356V

Not much to mess up on loading the string - it's all controlled by the CCW auto-load mechanism in the head.  I haven't chnaged my technique, and it did work in the past. 

My bad:  90 days on the bump head, 5 years on the motor, according to EGO support.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I was in Home Depot in Centerville Utah about an hour ago looking at the same string trimmers and a guy came up to the return desk with same model. I asked him what he thought of the trimmer and said he loved it except had the exact same problem you stated with one string coming out. He has had it for 3 months. He seemed quite knowledgeable about its use and worked on the problem like you did but still would not dispense the other string. I waited to see what happened with Home Depot and they asked for the receipt then had him walk back and get a new one in the box and he was on his way. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 65,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm a little bit confused by your description of the problem. You say you aren't bumping the head. You do need to bump it to extend the string as it breaks and wears. It just sounds like if you were to bump the head to extend the string you'd be fine. I must not be understanding what you are trying to say.
And, as Ken mentions, maybe you aren't winding the string correctly (if you are indeed bumping the head to extend the string as it wears).
Photo of 356V

356V

Don't need to bump the head right after loading the string, since it is already full length exposed on two sides.  I don't see how the string can "wear" on one end only, the other end is still a good length after I start trimming.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 65,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It wasn't my intent to say that you should start bumping right after loading. Your OP says "without bumping the head at all". So, I was saying you should bump at some point to extend more string. And yes, one end can break off if it were to hit something just right. Then you would just have uneven ends until the longer end catches up. Then, of course, you'd want to bump the line out again.
Photo of 356V

356V

In my case, once one end either breaks off [or perhaps recedes on its own], no amount of bumping will cause that end to emerge again, but the other end will feed fine - I have to pop the bottom cover off the head and re-wind.
Photo of 356V

356V

1. My bad, I think it's actually 90 days warranty on the head:  the "30 day" is a wrong.
2. Loading the bump head is straight forward.  Not much to mess up, since the CCW winding mechanishm controls the tension, etc.
3. After I've loaded the bump head with new line, it's ready to go.  Both ends of the line are full length for trimming. Now, I start trimming for a few minutes, without bumping.  One end of the line starts to disappear, while the other end is still  full length.  Even if I bump the head, only one end feeds and I hear the string trimmed off.
4. I was thinking of trying a different brand line.  I'm currently using "wead eater" 0.095". Also tried their 0.08".

(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 72,604 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I've had really good luck with Husqvarna's Titanium Force line. It's very durable and cuts through just about anything.

William E Hanson

• 19,216 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The quality of string is suspect from everything you told us. Try Ken's brand since he's had success with it. Don't go under .095 string; too thin.
Photo of 356V

356V

OK.  Will try a higher quality string.  The "Titanium Force" has a good ring to it as well.

Sorry for the confusion in my original post - the mind and fingers are not always in sync.
Photo of 356V

356V

I tried the  Titanium Force line today.  While it is definitely better than the Weed Eater line I was using, ultimately the same issue occurs.  Once one of the two ends breaks [hitting a sidewalk, etc.], the head will no longer advance the line when bumped. After the 2nd end wears out or breaks, I need to remove and reinstall the line, which slows me down quite a bit. 

My old [low cost] B&D string trimmer without a bump feature was more forgiving of a broken line, so I don't have much experience with the bump-head versions. 

Since this bump head has been superseded by a new design [for my trimmer model], I wonder if the issue I see is not an isolated one.

Q:  With your bump head, do you need to respool the string when one end breaks off? 

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 63,196 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I never have to restring when the string breaks. Just bump the head and continue on. 
Dumb question, are you sure you are bumping the head hard enough to advance the string? These EGO trimmers take a fair bump to advance the string. Nothing major, but a bit. Just throwing that out there. You've probably already tried bumping harder. 

William E Hanson

• 19,136 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If the string is breaking off regularly, you're probably making contact to hard surfaces too often. Mine has never broken.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 72,360 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
On the odd occasion when string breaks off well up inside the head, I don't have to restring but I do have to take the outer cap off to fish the line back off. But the string doesn't break off inside the head too often, especially with the Husqvarna line, which is pretty tough.

Like William said, you might be hitting really hard surfaces too often, with the trimmer head too close to the hard surface and maybe with the trimmer speed higher than it needs to be. These trimmers have a lot of power. Try easing up a bit; I think you'll find you can get the task accomplished without bashing the string  to smithereens.

And when you do advance the line, you want the trimmer head to be spinning pretty fast since centrifugal force is part of what advances the line.
Photo of 356V

356V

Most of my trimming is "edging" at the boundary of sidewalk/driveway and turf, so I need to improve my technique.

I'm bumping on the lawn (not the sidewalk).  Seems to advance fine when the line is not broken. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 63,196 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I find it better to bump feed the line on a hard surface like the sidewalk. Just a firm tap straight down onto the feed button with the trimmer spinning fast advances the line well.  It does become a problem with extending the line if the line gets less than maybe 2-3" long. Seems to want to extend easier when it is a bit longer. I've had the line in my original 15" trimmer break off all the way inside but the trimmer was new and I was seeing how short I could let the string get before it wouldn't extend. 
I do have a hard time thinking you got 2 bad heads. It has to be operator error (not necessarily in a bad way) or technique.