Again, Differences Between LM2000 (20") and LM2100 (21") Mowers

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I'm still seeking clarification between the 20" and 21" mowers.

Elsewhere I've read some difference in the engines where one mower is able to better handle accidental striking of objects? Like a different engine magnet and blade configuration? Outside of mower body modifications, and improvement from 600W to 700W, has anything been reengineered? (A change in battery capacity I imaging should not apply.)

My original question actually still stood: "I'm struggling to understand any functional differences between these two models, other than aesthetic upgrades. Are there any legit specs besides wider and heaver?" The Official EGO Rep did not answer my question before it was closed. She provided irrelevant direction around the LM2001 (20") and LM2000 (20") simply being the same. Absolutely correct, and not my question. Instead I was seeking specification between the LM2000 (20") and LM2100 (21"). I feel like the Official Rep didn't read my post before she commented and closed out my post. Now, Blue Angel actually did a great job and I really appreciate their response to my actual question. Very helpful.

I would appreciate further detail around the engine differences. Thank you.
Photo of NoviceMowMaster3

NoviceMowMaster3

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • unheard and irritated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
It was a complete overhaul between the 2 models including changes to the motor. Whether or not the changes make it stronger against damage is yet to be seen but it appears as if complaints on the 21" model are few and far between in regards to the physical abuse issue.

NoviceMowMaster3

Fair enough. My line of questioning is trying to determine what's meaningfully different about the 21" that makes more weight and more money a good trade-off over the 20" to compel the up-sell?
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
The reports of how susceptible the 20inch model were to damage from physical abuse lead me to choose the 21inch model.
Photo of JWBozo

JWBozo

• 1,508 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I've owned both.  Settled on the 20" SP.  Brushless motor with higher RPM's, It's lighter, (I don't know how they did that), I like the side discharge better, (the 21" shoots rear discharge to the side, the 20" actually side discharges from the side of the deck) the height adjustment is in a different location that I prefer.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
20" mower 600 watts

21" self propelled mower 1000 watts
21" non self propelled motor 700 watts.
Photo of Mitigator

Mitigator

• 1,004 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Dave, there is quite a difference between the 20" EGO Mower and the 21" Self Propelled LM2100SP I just purchased.  The 21" has the bigger 60 minute 7.5A Battery & the 21" Mower is self propelled if you choose to use that option. Those are the 2 biggest upgrade differences between the two Mowers. Think the 21" is a bit heavier also and more expensive. There are lots of You Tube Videos on those 2 Mowers. Hope this helps.  

NoviceMowMaster3

I appreciate you responding, but the battery is a variable that could apply to both mowers. The 7.5A isn't exclusive to the 21" mower. With your reference to self-propulsion, are you simply stating that the body style has been reconfigured to allow it, yet renders no real functional difference between base mowers?

What makes it heavier? The inclusion of more plastic to accommodate propulsion differences? What changed in the engine to provide an extra 100W? What problem(s) were the engineers trying to solve when they made "quite a difference" between mowers?

What I'm finding on YouTube are people mowing their lawns, but not much by people who know mowers and can articulate feature distinctions.
Photo of Mitigator

Mitigator

Dave in my area the ONLY way you can get the 7.5Ah  BA 4200 / 60 minute battery (with the Mower) is to purchase (@Home Depot) the 21" LM2100SP Mower.  SP is for Self Propelled. The other 21" Mower LM 2100 only comes with the BA2800 5.0Ah / 45 minute battery and is NOT Self Propelled. The SP Mower is 6 pounds heavier and has a more heavy duty motor. See Below:

EGO Mower Motor Differences Reviews:
There are many You Tube Videos pointing out the feature differences of these 2 Mowers even by some experts: See "EGO 21 INCH 56V Lithium Ion Self Propelled Lawnmower LM2100SP"  Dated Jan 20, 2016 (8.36 minutes) by Workshop Addict.  Great explanation on the Motor Differences.  Another useful Video on You Tube is by an Aussie: OZ Tool Talk "EGO 56V Self Propelled 56cm / 21" Mower Review (Nov 26, 2016) this guy explains the differences between the older and newest EGO Mowers & Batteries - watch out for his cute dog!!

In my opinion the SP Model is worth it as it works out to half the cost of the Mower that is the 7.5Ah battery if purchased separately costs half the price of the mower. The Self Propelled features are also worth it and explained by the Folks in the above You Tube Videos. There is even a Video of a Guy cutting a Lawn using an EGO Mower with the Rear Bag - that lawn is at least a foot & a half high - unbelievable. But yeah it's a Lawnmower so people are going to cut their lawn with it in their reviews. 

Both Consumers Reports  - ranked # 1 see May 2017 CR Magazine page 17, and Amazon have great ratings on the EGO Mowers.  From my research only the GreenWorks and the WORX mower are comparable. But the EGO Self Propelled gets the # 1 Rating.  Are you really looking for a Lawnmower?  Cause right now there isn't anything better than the EGO. 
Photo of Juggernautpint

Juggernautpint

• 60 Points
Was looking for the same info: (Good Video Searched Youtube) Thanks :)
EGO 21 INCH 56V Lithium Ion Self Propelled Lawnmower LM2100SP  Workshop Addict.  

NoviceMowMaster3

I wish the company would be transparent with what improvements were made and why with the overhaul between models. Due to the generic marketing, it makes me skeptical they just changed for change sake, or simply have less sophisticated marketers.

I'm leaning toward the 20" because I'm not getting a lot of compelling feature comparison for their model enhancements. My fear though is mission out on profound improvements that no one was able to articulate.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 97,034 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Dave

Leaving the new steel deck mowers out as they were not available last year when I purchased my mower.

I bought the 21" SP mower because I wanted the option to use the SP feature (I often do not use it as the mower is easy to push with no drag due to not engaging the SP, but I am still glad to have it when I want it)

I bought the 21" mower well because it is 21" and thus slightly larger mowing path.

I bought the 21" mower because it has a bigger motor 1000 v 700 or 600.

And probably the biggest reason is it has 50% more battery power. (I see the 20" is now available with a 7.5 - this was not the case last year).

Sorry, I am not an engineer so can't answer some of your questions.  I am a consumer and user and can tell you I am very happy with my purchase and the performance of the product.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
20" mower is perfectly fine and still available paired with a number of different batteries.

I am not an engineer, but it seems there was a significant change with the variable power motor. The no-resistance blade speed on the 20" is higher, but when facing resistance the blade slows down and more easily overloads or overheats the motor.

The 21" sp mower is MUCH less susceptible to overload, and when you hit thick grass there is an audible increase in power to maintain blade speed, especially when using the 7.5Ah battery. Smaller batteries demonstrate the same behavior, but to a lesser extent. I have not used the 700w 21" push mower, but I understand it works similarly to the 1000w 21" sp mower, though limited by its smaller motor and battery.

NoviceMowMaster3

Thanks, David. This is the most helpful response yet!
Photo of Lachlan Rogers

Lachlan Rogers

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I understand that the original LM2000 20" mower has a brushed motor, whereas the LM2100 21" mower has a brushless mower.  Brushless motors are typically lower maintenance and higher efficiency/power.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,800 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No. The 21" mower is brushed. The new steel deck mowers are brushless. Just a correction. Im not being rude.
(Edited)
Photo of Lachlan Rogers

Lachlan Rogers

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks!  I had not been able to find clear information about this.  Do Ego clearly list the brushless / brushed motor anywhere in the specs?
Photo of Peter Ryan

Peter Ryan

• 60 Points
I contacted EGO in Australia and was informed that the SP 21 inch models are brushless??? Now i am very confused
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,508 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I have a feeling they're confused. Ego's first brushless mowers were the steel deck models. Unless they made a completely new model just for Australia, but I doubt it.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,582 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Well great for them! #lol
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Southern hemisphere requires brushless motors, otherwise they spin backwards.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,132 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Peter, they must have been mistaken. Only our steel deck mowers are brushless.
Photo of garuda

garuda

The newest brushless iteration of 20" self-prop mower is called LM-2022-SP. --- 63lbs, 20" cut width, steel deck, 3,000rpm, 7.5A/h batt, 1,000 watts, 45-60 minute run time, 5-yr warranty, $750 @ HomeDepot. I have experience with brushless motors in general; they tend to last longer & with no need for brush replacement. Tesla uses brushless motors in all their cars: roadster, S, X, and 3. They seem to endure torture quite well; I suspect its the e-motor of the future. I'm awaiting delivery on my LM-2022SP. I'll post a detailed performance review and video after a few uses. I keep my fingers crossed....
(Edited)
hi garuda! can you tell us how your new brushless motor Ego mulches? Are you seeing clumps or trails of grass or is it doing a good job of chopping it up? :)
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
There are three generations of mowers:
Gen 1: 20" brushed, 600W motor, plastic deck
Gen 2: 21" brushed, 700/1000W motors respectively, push and self-propelled (SP), plastic deck
Gen 3: 20" brush-LESS, motor size UNKNOWN (not listed anywhere), steel deck

Would be very helpful if Ego listed all their specifications in a standard format on their website.
Photo of Mitigator

Mitigator

I wonder if the 21 inch Self Propelled with the Steel Deck is the next one coming down the pipeline? 
Photo of Paul Lees

Paul Lees

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So is the 20" steel deck self propelled believed to be superior to the 21" self propelled?
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,132 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It’s hard to definitely declare one or the other as “better.” It really comes down to personal preference. 
do we know if the brushless motor mower will be a better at mulching? will it have the better blade that was to be brought to the US January 2017?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.