adjusting speed of new 20" mower LM2022SP

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Just had this shipped to Mom to replace pull-start mower.  I live out of state, neighbor helped unbox it.  She is 91 yrs. old 100 lb. who insists, "I won't be happy unless I can mow my lawn."  But she is finding it's speed is kind of running away with her.  Is there some kind of easy adaptation to assist?    
Photo of Pam

Pam

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,966 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Are you saying that the lowest speed is too fast for her?
Photo of Pam

Pam

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Yes.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

There have been a few reports of people finding the lowest speed a bit too fast for them, but most people are ok with the speed range. Unless there's something wrong with the mower, it is what it is unfortunately.
Photo of Tim Ross

Tim Ross

• 708 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
That's not a standard use case scenario for sure. But darn good on her to be out there mowing and getting stuff done. Nothing can be done about speed other than seeing if you can put smaller diameter wheels on. Not sure how they are attached currently so this may not be an option. But it's the only thought I've got.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I believe the driven wheels have a provision for the drive gear mounting molded right into them, probably not possible to find a smaller replacement.
Photo of Craig E.

Craig E.

• 1,828 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
What I miss from my Honda SP mower is the variable speed control built into the SP lever.  i.e.:  If you pull on the bar all the way, it goes to the full speed set by the speed adjustment lever.  But, if you pull halfway on the bar, it goes half of that speed.  With the EGO SP, it's either full on or full off to the speed set by the side lever.  Much easier to slow down with the Honda than moving your hand over the side lever...
(Edited)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,158 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Looking for the experts to add here, but, is there a way for her to determine if the speed control is defective?

When my mower is on the slowest setting it barely moves and on fast I would almost need to run. My old Honda had 3 speed settings and the manual gave specifications in the manual for ft/sec and you could adjust the carb to meet these numbers if you wished.

Mike
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

You're the first person I'm aware of reporting that the low speed is that slow.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,224 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
As long as you have infinite speed choices between the creeping and running then it is operating correctly. 

Remember, speed is relative as there have been complaints that the slow speed is not slow enough.  But, I agree with you that slow is too slow and fast is too fast.  But I am certainly able to find a pace I like by adjusting the speed control somewhere in the middle.