A few mower questions

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
21" self propelled mower - what I really need is a 21" mower with the large battery. I have about 3/4 of an acre and I am tired of paying $40 a month for lawn cutting. I have the other ego products - blower and hedge trimmer. Does the self propelled mower require using that feature? It seems that would waste battery power.Any chance of an ego riding mower?
Photo of William Mosby

William Mosby

• 248 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
You can push the SP mower no problem. The only issue might be a little added weight from the SP motor and gearbox, but if your yard is relatively flat it shouldn't be a problem. Ego's mowers have ball bearings in the wheels and roll very easily.

As for the riding mower, I think we'll be waiting a while to see that happen. :-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I like the idea of getting the 20" mower kit from Home Depot that comes with the 7.5 Ah battery: http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-20-in-56-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Walk-Behind-Electric-Mower-Kit-LM2001-X/206...

You get a great mower, which reportedly has better mulching, with less weight, less mechanical complications from the self-propelled feature, and the big battery. You also get the smaller motor, which means the battery will last longer.

This is assuming you don't need the power of the 1,000-watt motor.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Probably depends on grass type. My 20" just couldn't handle cutting my lawn once it started growing good without constantly overloading. Keeping the deck clear, the blade sharp, and moving every 3-4 days wasn't enough to avoid the flashing orange light.

The 21" variable speed feature is an absolute life-saver. I can go a week between mows without fear of a single overload.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
For sure. In Iowa the 20-inch mower works great, even though my front lawn in zoysia grass. But if I lived down south I'd want the more powerful motor for sure.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ken, if the 20" 7.5Ah kit was priced $100 less I would agree with you. ;-)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The 21SP Ego mower, on reasonably flat ground is easy to manually push unless of course your grass is VERY high or uncommonly dense.  It is easier to manually push than my 21SP Honda Harmony.  I don't worry about using up the battery by using the SP feature, as I get over an hour out of the battery.  I can mow at least 4 times (front and back yards).
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The 20" mower is about a capable of cutting grass as the 21" in my opinion and does a better job of it.

William, you only paid $40 a month to have 3/4 of an acre cut?  WoW!
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Was thinking the same... while I understand anyone wanting to reduce their monthly expenses, $40/month seems pretty cheap for that much grass.