A different "blade" concern: suction

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

First off, I love my mower, and have the trimmer and blower as well.  NO CORDS!!  I have followed the conversations about mulching blades, but they don't address my issue:
I have always mulched, with many different mowers.  My concern with this mower is that it appears to not pull as much of an "upward vacuum" at the edge of the blade (where cutting occurs) as my previous mowers.  I know it is not fair to make some comparisons between overpowered gas mowers and this efficient electric, but I am finding that this mower/blade can "lay my grass over" and not pull it up to cut it off.  Yes, this happens more when I have let the grass get too long, but welcome to my world!!

When I look at the shape of the blade, compared to a typical mower blade, you have removed the turned up edge at the outside edge of the blade, which creates the upward air force.  I'm an electrical engineer, and so I completely understand that this will be a bigger drag on the motor, and reduce battery run-time (and probably make it a bit louder), but I would make that trade-off, to either buy and extra battery, or mow my back yard, and then get some lemonaid (while charging), and then do my front yard.

Bottom line is that the present blade is sometimes laying my grass over, instead of pulling it up while cutting.  PLEASE offer another blade, or I may need to improvise, as we EE eggheads do.  I would prefer to use an alternative blade that you offer.  The engineering on this mower is awesome... the blade just needs a few options :-)

Thanks... Jim
Photo of Jim Hulings

Jim Hulings

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
You're not alone, Jim. I've noticed the same thing on my mower, but to be completely honest it is only an issue if I try to cut my grass a little longer, on height setting 4.

Using height setting 3 I have no issues.

I believe your comments regarding blade efficiency are correct... the blade is very flat compared to many standard mower blades. In light of this, I am very impressed with how well the mower mulches and believe the Ego team has come up with what is likely a great compromise for most people.

It would be nice to use height 4 though, especially in the heat of the summer.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Agree.  It's a good compromise to run off of a battery.  Honestly, not only EGO, but all of the new generation battery mowers are impressive in their own way.  I just like the EGO the best, personal opinion.

I find the mulching very acceptable and I use a setting of 2 on the front which is mostly centipede and 3 in the back which is fescue and weeds  :(

I try to avoid cutting for at lest 2 days after a rain. It was a pain with my gas mower and it's a pain with the electric mower.  I had the clumping problem with my nice Honda gas mower which I am glad to be rid of. 

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yes, I should have added that all battery mowers likely use blade designs that compromise performance for run time in one way or another. Coming up with a good balance is the key.

I don't remember anyone comparing the "efficiency" of gas mowers the way we do with the battery electrics... they could be as inefficient as they wanted, you just had to top up the tank for virtually limitless run time.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hmm.  My Honda got 1.5 cuts per tank fill up.  My EGO gets .8 cut per Battery.  BUT, if I had the illusively expensive 7.5ah, I think I could match it  :).  Yeah.  I think about that battery.  It haunts me. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I have the same inferiority complex... you're not alone! :-)
Photo of Jim Hulings

Jim Hulings

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi All,
To be fair, I went back and looked more closely at the blade, and indeed, the back edge of the blade IS bent up to create an upwards air movement/pull.  But, it only tips up about the thickness of the blade (maybe 1/8th of an inch).  Then I dug a little further into my shed and pulled out my old Husqvarna that the EGO is replacing.  Its blade probably has a full inch of "upturn" at a rather drastic angle, on the end of its full-width blade.  That is a HUGE difference.

How do we get the EGO engineers to comment on our concerns? :-)  So many people have asked for an alternative blade.  I wonder if they might give in?!  Or, if they absolutely say "No," then, like I said, I'm going to start modifying!

Thanks for the conversation everyone!

Jim
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have no choice but to cut on the highest level because the mower doesn't have the needed range of cutting heights. As you mentioned, I pay the price. Grass stands up after I run right over it with the mower. After I cut, I can see strands of grass sticking up all over the yard.

This has been mentioned over and over again and the response is that the current blade is made for mulching.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.