700w vs 1000w motor

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • In Progress
I'm considering either the LM 2101 or the LM 2102SP. The larger battery and self-propelled capability of the 2102SP aren't that important to me but I'm wondering if anyone has insights on how much difference the more powerful motor (700w vs 1000w) makes in real life usage.
Photo of Jerry

Jerry

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 58,228 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Don't think about the 700 watt. Go for the self propelled. Power will, at some point, be needed and you get the 7.5 ah battery...

Trust me. If they had a 2000 watt version I would recommend that.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I have a feeling the extra power comes from the larger battery. Bigger batteries put out more power, and many Ego tools benefit from larger batteries. I think that’s what’s going on with the push mower vs the SP mower.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 2,710 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I've used a 2.5 Ah battery in my SP 21" mower and the RPM's of the  blade can get up just as high (in thick grass) as the 7.5 Ah battery at the very beginning of the mowing session. But the voltage on the 2.5 Ah battery sags a lot sooner (and obviously, the runtime is a lot less), so I think the mower actually draws the same amount of power from the 2.5 Ah battery as the 7.5 Ah battery, the biggest difference is that the 2.5 Ah battery drains so much faster.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You may be right. I would think as soon as the battery starts to warm up the mower would draw less power. The 7.5Ah battery has 3x the cells so would warm up much less for a given power draw, and as you pointed out, maintain a much more stable voltage under load.
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have the 21" push with a 5.0 ah and it goes strong for 45 + minutes of cut and bagging. I didn't know they have two different motors. Mine I assume is brushless because it cranks up in the heavy grass when I hit it. I'm in my second year and really like this mower.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 57,924 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The 21" self propelled has always had a 1000 watt motor. Since day one. The 21" non self propelled has always had a 700 watt motor since day one.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike

• 14,894 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Jacob, right. But the question remains. Why?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,636 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Battery capacity. I’d bet someone a steak dinner the motors are identical. ;-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 57,924 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Who knows. I always thought it was really dumb personally.

Blue.... I'll take that steak dinner challenge.

Maybe they bought 10,000 700 watt motors and then realized that a 5 ah battery can handle 1000 watts. (From the snow blower r&d) then figured they could make 2 models. To consume the motors
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,636 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You could be right, or perhaps a change in the control board electronics? We may never know.

What I do know is these mowers came out before the snowblower; back in the day when Ego had yet to admit that some tools required the larger batteries to perform at their peak. Once the snowblower was released and they recommended 4Ah or larger batteries for peak performance, all of that changed.