7.5AH Snow Blower Combo

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Just happened to be looking at Homedepot.com and I noticed a snow blower kit with 2 7.5AH batteries for $799.  Only downfall is not able to order since they are sold out. 
Photo of Eric Kassebaum

Eric Kassebaum

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yeehaw! What a snow beast that'll be! :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I just "double checked" my local HD, and the website stated the same as well.  At $799, this is way out of my price range for now - but (2) 7.5 Ah batteries are AWESOME!!!!

(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The 7.5Ah batteries can be obtained cheaper, but using Home Depot's $379 price as reference, that makes the snow blower just $42 more than the batteries alone.

I still don't need a snow blower in GA (where it was in the mid-80s today, 3 days before November), but if I did that would be a heck of a deal!
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 5,422 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Happy to have waited before buying the snow blower.  Probably gonna get the 7.5Ah version,  this is like running 3x5.0Ah.

Running those dual 7.5Ah is only better for runtime or does it make it a little more powerfull as well??  I remember reading about this somewhere...??
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Not sure what the real answer is to this question might be...

The SP mower comes with a 1000W motor and the 7.5Ah battery. The push version comes with a 700W motor and a 5Ah battery.

The snow blower comes with a 2000W motor and 2x 5Ah batteries, or 1000W per battery which is more than what they did with the mower. The snow blower manual states for best performance to use 4Ah or larger batteries.

My gut tells me the snow blower might have more power when really digging into tough material if it's using the larger batteries, but that's just my gut feeling. I certainly have no way of knowing for sure, and it's worth noting the amazing performance of the unit with the two 5Ah batteries as tested by Workshop Addict. It was equal to or better than the gas Toro they put it up against, and also demonstrated very impressive run time.

Even if the snow blower did have a power advantage with the larger batteries, I do think it would be slight and not something you would be able to quantify without deliberate testing. For sure the run time of the blower with the 7.5's will be 50% longer, but that's obvious. :-)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
$799 for a snow blower.  I spent closer to double that on my Ariens.  But then again I don't think you could compare the two of them in the same league.  The EGO is a single stage so basically designed for the light fluffy snow that doesn't fall too thick. 

I got my blower as it really is not the driveway that is the killer, but what is left behind when the large snow plow makes its way down the street and dumps a good 3' high wall of packed snow/ice at 2:30am that then has a good 3 hours to render itself pretty much solid before I have to get up in the morning.  A single stage snow thrower is not going to get the job done.  Before the Ariens, I had to use a solid steel shovel to break it into small enough pieces to lift.  A plastic snow scoop would simply break.

I am left wondering of those that are buying these, how many of you are from a real snow belt area?  Like Northern NewYork state.

I have a friend with a plug in single stage snow thrower, and it does a wonderful job of getting his driveway almost spotless, but I think I almost broke it trying to get the bottom part of the driveway where the snow plow came and his wasn't even 7" tall.  (I live near a 'T' junction on the road so we get far more snow riff from the plow than others.)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Matt, you may have a point with regard to the snow plow pile. There are times why the conditions and timing are just right and the plow pile solidifies. Time will tell whether the Ego blower can munch through that mess or not.

In my experience growing up North of Toronto and now in Ottawa for eight years, those times when the plow pile solidifies into a nigbtmare are relatively few and far between. I find it usually happens later in the season when the weather is a little warmer and the snow is much heavier. If several hours pass between the plow going by and clearing it, the snow can become pretty densely packed.

Ottawa's weather is fairly cold for the most part, which may help. I used a corded single stage last year and I was actually surprised it did as well as it did... my expectations were pretty low, but I found it much easier than shoveling. The plow piles sometimes needed to be done in two "layers", but it chewed through.

The main thing I felt that particular single stage blower lacked was power, and that's one area I seem to think the Ego blower won't be lacking. Based on what I've seen about it so far, it seems it will have much better build quality, chute control, as well as adding variable speed and headlights. I'm under no illusion that it will take on a 300cc medium duty two stage blower, but it should work really well for the vast majority of snow blowing I will need to do.

A co-worker of mine bought one of those 3X Cub Cadet snow blowers last year, and though he loves it overall, he does admit he feels a little funny using such a big machine when there's only a few inches of snow to deal with. ;-)
Glad to see the 7.5 battery pack option was added for the snowblower to
make purchasing those batteries palatable. I plan to buy it that way and the self-propelled mower in spring, and I'm hoping a package with the backpack blower will make a 7.5 Ah battery available as well so I can have 4 and get a backup set for the snowblower for no downtime usage at full power.

However, I'm in Canada and there is no 7.5 Ah package listed yet.. It seems like we tend to be a month behind on everything (snowblower, backpack blower). I'd love to buy both the snowblower and the backpack blower immediately but I'm not going to until there's a 7.5 Ah package.

(I don't mind still paying big/just shopping online as long as it's a reasonable deal.)

As well, we are being gouged $60 (CAD) beyond the exchange rate adjusted price of the 7.5 Ah battery as a standalone purchase so I'm hoping that will be reigned in with a package as well.

Will the snowblower with dual 7.5 Ah batteries package be available soon in Canada?
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ego Southeastern Ontario likes the way Ego Southwestern Ontario thinks! :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This price difference is rediculous. Fix your countries importing rules. Such a nice country. Besides they dont want you to have nice things. :*(
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Jacob, all we need up here is a variable pay system that ties our salaries to the exchange rate and all will be good with the world! :-)
Photo of Eric Kassebaum

Eric Kassebaum

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Follow-up.  Homedepot.com now has these kits available.  I just purchased mine and I should receive it sometime next week.  Glad I waited for the larger batteries I think I am going to need the extra run time since I have a larger than normal driveway.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.