7.5Ah Battery Size

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Anyone curious about the size of the new 7.5Ah battery pack, I re sized the picture of the 7.5Ah to match the picture of the 4.0Ah battery.

The 4.0Ah first and then the 7.5Ah:

So this monster pack will drop right into the mower, taking up all of that conveniently leftover space around the 4.0Ah pack and doubling its already decent 40 minute run time.  It will sit nicely below the chainsaw handle as well, giving you all the cutting muscle you can deal with!

Turbo on the blower should last over 40 minutes, with Low going for FOUR HOURS, and attached to either string trimmer you could hack away at your yard until you tire from malnutrition and require refueling.

Geez... I hope Ego plans a big first shipment of these new battery packs.  I predict a strong demand. :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
  • Can't contain myself!

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
What is that saying "One to rule the world"  :).  Yeah, EGO better be prepared for a sell out on these things.
Photo of Big E

Big E

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The battery life is way too short I had a ego blower and I enjoyed the power but my battery died in three months that is extremely disappointing, and my ego blower was brand new.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,018 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That was a simple malfunction and you could have got that replaced at no cost.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Big E, your pack must have been defective and would have been covered under the 3 yr warranty.
Photo of Doc

Doc

• 654 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Whats the price. At 200$ for the 4.0 I wouldnt be able to justify say 450-500$ for a 7.5. That would buy enough gas to last 15 years. (180 gallons at current prices). With me being able to use less than a gallon of gas a month on my edger, weed eater, and mower thats 15 years worth of gas (on a self propelled lawn mower). 

So any ideas on price, currently the 200$ for the 4.0 is roughly 7 years worth of gas, on a battery with only a 5 year warranty... Have to be able to justify the cost you know. 

Also what is the weight? The weed eater with the 4.0 battery weighs as much as my top of the line gas weed eater, and has 40% of the power, and not even close to the run time. With my broken back, adding more weight is a no go. 
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 874 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
3 year warranty on batteries, 5 year warranty on equipment.
Photo of Eddie

Eddie

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Based on the HTML code, the price looks like it will be $379.99 for the standalone 7.5ah battery.

"<span id="home-depot-one-price" class="home-depot-price">$379.99</span>"
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,802 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Let's wait and see before speculating too much...
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,892 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

That really doesn't mean anything.  Show me the entire page code, there is no description.  It's all speculation until the official release.

Photo of Eddie

Eddie

Being that all the other product pages have the same HTML code and their respective prices are accurate, I think it is a good indication...but think whatever you want.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,892 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This is true but since it isn't available they may have just populated the pricing with any number. But, that would not be smart as when true page is indexed, that's what search results would find. I'm not knocking you, I'm just hoping that is not the price. It would fall outside of my budget. I'm saved up for an edger.
Photo of Eddie

Eddie

Yeah understood! I'm also hoping its not the price. If it is, you could buy the mower with the 4ah battery included and a second 4ah battery for $700. This gives a total of 448wh and you get a supercharger. While the standalone mower and the new 7.5ah battery would come to $710 but only gives 420wh. Plus you wouldn't have a supercharger.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You can find the price for the 2.0ah and 4.0ah batteries in the code for their respective product pages in the same way, and both accurately reflect the current selling price.

Following the same process for each battery, here is the full price list:

2.0ah:  $129.00
4.0ah:  $199.00

2.5ah:  $249.99
5.0ah:  $299.99
7.5ah:  $379.99

Looks like a big price increase, and I'm guessing the current models will be discontinued when the new ones come out.  Otherwise who would pay more for a 2.5ah battery than a 4.0ah battery?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You can find the price for the 2.0ah and 4.0ah batteries in the code for their respective product pages in the same way, and both accurately reflect the current selling price.

Following the same process for each battery, here is the full price list:

2.0ah:  $129.00
4.0ah:  $199.00

2.5ah:  $249.99
5.0ah:  $299.99
7.5ah:  $379.99

Looks like a big price increase, and I'm guessing the current models will be discontinued when the new ones come out.  Otherwise who would pay more for a 2.5ah battery than a 4.0ah battery?
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

It's there a sku for the mower alone for like $350?  Why would I pay more for a battery then for the mower itself?

I also already own 2-4ah batteries.  If I can't at least get some credit for one or both of them, there's no way I'm touching the 7.5ah battery.

I don't know how well this pricing structure will work.  There's still going to be plenty of $500 mower stock out there with the 4ah battery.  I wouldn't expect them to drop the price on that but it's possible.  Will that price drop be enough when it's placed beside the Kobalt competition that comes with 2 batteries...eventhough they are of the 2ah variety.

Photo of Doc

Doc

Here is where I think people will have a problem.

1. 375$ for 1 battery. If I convert that in to current gas prices. Then I look at how much fuel it takes to mow/weed eat/edge/blower clean our house (not our hunting or family shared property). Plus I also take in to account the months I don't have to do any of that (winter). Which is not that many where I live. I could afford 16 years worth of fuel, oil, sparkplugs, and even gaskets to rebuild the carbs. So 3 years (if it fails on warranty) or 16 years worth of fuel. 

2. Worse case scenario. If I take the highest prices paid for fuel recently here. Then do the same math, I could still get almost 7.5 to 8 years worth of fuel for the cost of 1 7.5 battery. That is going to be very hard for most people to justify. Plus on a full tank of fuel, my mower will run longer than 1 hour. If I average out what I am getting now which is usually 30-35 minute run times per charge (and its not summer hot yet) that gives me roughly a 1 hour run time with the new battery. I can run much longer than 1 hour on a full tank of fuel with a self propelled lawn mower. 

Not trying to be mean here, just looking at the facts. Its going to be hard for someone to justify that kind of investment (800$ with the charger and battery), when they can buy a riding lawn mower for that. 
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
All, we love your resourcefulness.  Please note that whatever lies in the code of our site is not the official pricing until we've announced it on Homedepot.com.  We know you are all anxious for information.  It brings us no pleasure to tease you but we promise to keep you all updated.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
A general price would be nice since people have gotten onto information that you're stating can be misleading.  Even at $300, the battery will be way too expensive   When I paid $200 for an extra 4ah battery, it was too much for getting 40 minutes of extra run time. 
Photo of Steve Mccartha

Steve Mccartha

• 60 Points
I bought a battery power chain saw, I'm getting older, and I look at it is easier for me than, pulling on the rope, my health probable not as good as other people. I know the price is up. The battery is better on me. That's the main reason I went with battery. And I'm glad I did.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Doc, if the 7.5Ah pack comes in at the same $/Wh as the 4.0Ah pack, it would cost $375. I would expect it to be much less than that, but we'll just have to wait and see.

As far as the weight goes, yeah, it might add a little too much mass to some of the tools, but come on now... how much run time do most people really need? :-)

The 4.0Ah pack in the smaller tools would outlast most people's stamina, and the new 5.0Ah pack will extend that by 25% with no added weight.

I have a bad back, not broken mind you, but there's quite a lot to be said for never having to pull start a cranky engine. :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Love your post.  and your last sentence sums it up.  Cut the cord! 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Another note for Ego's marketing team: be sure to DECISIVELY tell how much more energy this pack contains than ANY competitor's pack!  For example:

Ego BA4200 56V 7.5Ah, 420Wh

= 4.4 x Ryobi OP4026A 40V 2.4Ah, 96Wh
= 1.9 x Echo CBP-58V40 "58V" 4Ah, 224Wh (tell it like it is, Ego!)

Another healthy jab should be taken on the battery compartments.  Ego's tools are the only ones that have any room for larger packs!  Sure the Ryobi and Echo mowers have on board storage for an extra pack, but they make you physically switch from one to the other... and MOST of their other tools have tight fitting compartments that limit the physical size of the packs.
Photo of Doc

Doc

So the warranty is only 3 years? So if something happens I could have just run a gas motor for well over 4 years longer than the batteries warranty? 

The products I have owned, have always started up with no effort. In fact My edger is very old, and starts in 1 or 2 pulls even after a long winter. 
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Then, you got lucky.  I bought a very expensive walk behind edger, good brand, standard briggs engine.  After the first year, even emptying gas in fall, using Stabil and keeping everything checked, I would wear myself out pulling that string to get it started, and keep it started.  I HATED that edger more than any other of my lawn tools.

My Honda Mower, the motor was fine after 5 years, but the self drive mechanism fell apart, the metal deck needed replacing, The Blades were twice the cost, and the thing was heavier than my Buick Park Avenue (exaggeration, if you know what I mean).

My gas weed eater (Makita), it was great in every way.  After 8 years it had it though.  Oil Gas mixtures, don't miss that.  Makita backpack blower.  It's now going on a year of not being needed, that darned little EGO blower does just as well.  Difference in wind turbine technology.

Now, about your worry about the battery warranty.  I'm willing to bet you my mower that my battery will be at least 90% of what it was on day one in 5 years, if not, you can have my mower and I'll buy myself a new one.  I'll even pay for shipping, If it is, you don't have to do anything.

I deal a with a lot of smart people and from different backgrounds.  If I see these batteries failing in 5 years, then I will switch brands (I'm on year 2).  These are the most well developed Li-Ion battery packs I've seen.  They put thermals, load, current, voltage all in check and won't let the battery pack exceed its limits.  I can see many of these still in action for 5 to 10 years.  By then imagine what batteries and gas mowers will be like. 

I'm not knocking you, a lot of people wonder about the 3/5 warranty.  I personally think they should just stick a 5/5 on the stuff and be done with it.  It's too well made to cause concern to customers. 

My mower on year 2 shows little if any deck wear, looks like new, and is so light I can grab it and throw it over my shoulders and walk away.  Changing the blade is a pleasure.  I don't just mow grass, but my trees drop a ton of twigs, so it's not like I baby the thing.  I hit small branches, sometimes a rock or two.  All I have to do is keep the blade sharp.

Any large object can bend a shaft, so gas and electric are prone to damage by this type of hit.

While I understand your concerns, also do not forget what you are getting rid of to go battery.  Weight, Chemicals, Gas, Oil, trips to the gas station, tune-up kits, air filters, carborators, rust, oh lord, the list just goes on.   Is there a place for gas.  YES.  If you have a farm, very large yard where you could simply get a riding lawn mower, or commercial where you can't simply charge.

I hope you have a wonderful summer, and whatever your choice, I hope it lasts a long, long time!

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Well said!

Growing up I lived on a 1+ acre lot. We had a 12hp Crafstman lawn tractor and a gas Weed Eater trimmer. The lawn tractor was, of course, electric start and four stroke so it was never tough to deal with or maintain and it always started reliably. I believe it had a Briggs engine.

The trimmer, on the other hand, was a colossal pain in the other end. Two stroke gas and oil mix, pull to start, you know the drill. When it was working well it was fine, but when it was cranky (which describes the 2-3 years before we got rid of it), it was a bear.

No more gas for me... NO THANKS. To be honest, I'd be willing to completely replace this Ego trimmer, battery, charger and all, every 3 years if it meant not having to deal with a temperamental two stroke and all the supporting fluids that go along with it. And that goes for corded equipment too - I'm currently selling my corded junk now that the Ego tools are in my garage.

As SCDC said, I would expect these tools to last a long time. It seems many companies expect a typical Li-Ion cell to last about 1000 charge/discharge cycles. Assuming that a significant capacity loss happens by that time, let's assume the typical cell has a more reasonable service life of 500 cycles.

At 500 cycles, an owner who cuts their grass about 50 times a year (once a week or so in a Southern climate) will be good for 10 years of service. For someone like me who only cuts their lawn about six months of the year (Northern climate), that extends to 20 years service.

I think the cells would die of old age long before the 20 year mark rolls around, but who knows... Li-Ion cells haven't been around all that long in consumer electronics, so time will tell. BTW, I don't count laptop battery packs in my mind, since they are often abused by being left plugged in and held at 100% charge most of the time, which is bad for them.

I think my Ego tools will be around for a long time, regardless of how long the warranty is.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I didn't think of that.  I'm sure I could sell my backpack blower before it rots in storage.  Everything you said about gas.  I'm with you brother.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Forgot to mention our Noma brand gas lawnmower, which was somewhere in the middle... reasonably easy to deal with from a maintenance standpoint, but pull start and LOUD. Maybe not quite as loud as that buzzy vibrating Weed Eater, uh, on second thought it was actually much louder when the muffler started to rust out in its final years!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Can I get a battery powered generator for my house  :)  My Gas generator is louder than any gas "tool" I own.  Then again the muffler on that is about rusted out also.  I can't wait till we reach the dawn of affordable and efficient energy that is off of the grid.  I just went off topic.  Darnit Blue, you do that to me.  To the original poster, I think you get the point.  The battery will last.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Hehe... don't click on this link:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/22/techn...

Spoiler alert: It's news regarding Tesla's home battery, to be released next week. :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I read about those in a science digest.  Costly and not practical.  That's the whole problem right now.  But yeah, I'm a real sucker for technology reading!
Photo of Michael

Michael

3 Year Warranty

I put an Optima 12v battery in my truck 8 years ago and it is still looks and works like new, despite the "3 year limited warranty." It was expensive, but it was worth every penny. All of my expensive HDTV purchases came with a puny 1 year warranty, and 2 of them needed expensive panel replacements (costing in excess of 2K for one of the panels) within the first 6 months. After the repairs, both TVs have performed beautifully for years.

To me, a warranty is just a guarantee that I won't get stuck with a lemon from day one. If the thing works as designed and provides many years of use, the manufacturer has done a good job (my opinion).

Battery Powered Riding Mower?

When I worked in the logistics business (and this goes back many years ago) we used Crown narrow-reach electric stock-picker forklifts, and Crown electric riding pallet jacks for all our warehousing operations. We were 100% battery-powered for our indoor space (multiple distribution centers). Those 36v - 48v battery packs were very powerful and lasted a long time (operators often completed an entire 8-hour shift before needing a fresh battery), and that wasn't the new Lithium-ion tech. We expected at least 1500 cycles from those battery systems, and had ~50 chargers at each location running all day and night because it was a 24 hour operation. They easily lasted over 5 years, and we also had in-house technicians who could refurbish or repair them when they did have issues.

I say that because I would not be surprised at all to see a battery-powered riding lawn mower system that is just as capable as a gas-powered system. The only limiting factor is the inability to take the heavy battery out of the unit for a quick battery change. Electric cars are already plagued by this limitation, but as long as the battery has a long enough run-time to get the job done before needing a recharge, you don't have to remove it, ever. You simply plug it back into the charger when you're done.

Even though the size of industrial-grade batteries makes them difficult to move - it is possible with the aid of a rolling battery cart with conveyor-style rollers on the bottom. That's how they do it with the electric forklift batteries. Roll the depleted battery off the forklift and then onto a charging station, then roll a charged battery back on. It's not difficult, but requires extra space and equipment.

Food-grade distribution centers have been doing it for decades, and I don't see any reason why a high-tech minded landscaping company couldn't invest in the equipment needed to use battery-powered riding mowers all day long commercially. They already haul trailers for their equipment, so all they would need to do is carry several charged batteries and a changing cart so they could swap them out in the field, then bring the depleted batteries back to the shop for recharging overnight. How cool would that be?
Photo of Michael

Michael

I stumbled across a company that is already selling commercial-grade lithium-powered equipment. Prices are astronomical, but they claim their stand-on mower can run for 7 hours straight. I'm not endorsing them, but they're proving that it can be done without gas:

http://www.meangreenproducts.com/

The re-charge time for their largest mower is 11 hours!
Photo of Doc

Doc

We have a natural gas GE backup generator at our house. Its quiet, and requires very little maintenance. Hooked in to city gas, so no worries on keeping it full.

I have a very very old snapper edger, always starts right up. Cleaning a carb is not a big deal, I ride Harleys. Its just something I do all the time anyways, I love working out new jet combinations. I would assume you are not priming the carb correctly if its not starting right up.

I also have a very old snapper self propelled lawn mower(its a backup I have always kept around just in case), it is collecting dust, but has more than 10 years of service on the same engine. No problems with it either. No rust, starts right up every time. I have an Echo trimmer, which is extremely fuel effecient, well balanced, weighs less than the EGO, starts right up every time, has very little vibration for a gas trimmer, has around double the power the EGO does, 2 stroke doesn't really bother me. 

I would be more open to buying batteries with a 5 year warranty, but its hard to justify with a 3 year warranty. My luck would have it, it would die 2 weeks after 3 years. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

"Priming" my Ego trimmer consists of pushing the button on the battery pack.

Green = Good 2 Go :-)
Photo of Doc

Doc

This is an interesting find. Echo now has a battery operated string trimmer.

58V 4.0 amp hour battery comes with it (instead of 56V 2.0, or seperatly sold 4.0 amp hour).

90 minute run time.

10,000 rpm. (Ego 5500 RPM)

Attachment capable. (can be used with other heads, ego can't)

Adjustable cutting diameter.

90 Day money back.

5 year warranty (includes battery).
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Doc, EGO let a long conversation go on about the Echo products, but it's time to lay that one to rest.  This forum is a community to talk about and support EGO.  Please don't let this turn into another "This company verses that company".
Photo of Michael

Michael

I watched a video highlighting the new ECHO mower and was very underwhelmed. The EGO is light years ahead in looks and features. It won't be long before all the review sites post their head-to-head comparisons, and then we'll see where the conversation goes.
Photo of Larry Paden

Larry Paden

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Having discovered yesterday that I needed a new mower, after fixing the flaky Craftsman mower for over 25 years, I looked at Amazon.  Easy to infer from customer ratings that Ego is way ahead of Echo!
Photo of Doc

Doc

This is more in regards to the comment on a 5 year warranty, and other comments on people suggesting a higher amp hour battery come with the accessories. Make it the standard! 
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Nothing wrong with that Doc.  I would also like to see EGO knock it out of the park with a 5/5 warranty.  We'll see.  But aside from that, I love the products!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Who knows... after gathering data for a few years maybe they'll have the confidence to push that warranty farther. Battery powered OPE is a relatively new thing, I can't blame a company for being a little cautious out of the gate.

• 80,908 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello all, the 7.5Ah battery is now available on homedepot.com.  Here's a link: http://thd.co/1NtgUxT  It should be in stock in the VERY near future.  We're just waiting for Home Depot's system to update with availability.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,938 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Jennifer, I think you beat us to it this time! ;-)

• 80,908 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
One out of three.  Not bad, right? 
Photo of Ed Jones

Ed Jones

• 60 Points
I have been comparing the Kobalt 80 volt, from my understanding gives you 2 batteries. I love whats said of the new 2016 Ego 21 in. 56-Volt cordless self propelled lawn mower but to be clear the 7.5 battery is sold seperatly and does not come w/the mower, only the 4.0 Ah battery? So to get a second battery I have to spend an additional $380. just for the battery?? I want to go cordless not to deal w/gas motor but this is quite a chunk of $$ for the long run. Any discount deals available? Thanks.. Ed, Falls Church Va. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ed, this is an older post so quite a bit has changed.

The 20" mower originally only came with the 4.0 Ah battery or as a bare tool without battery or charger. Shortly after these 2nd generation batteries came out there were new kits available with either the 5.0 Ah or 7.5 Ah battery included.

The 21" mower is new for this year, and is available as either a push or self-propelled mower. Both are available as bare tools, but if you don't already have a rapid charger then it's a better value to start off with a kit. The 21" push mower kit comes with a 2nd generation 5.0 Ah battery, or the self-propelled mower kit includes the 7.5Ah battery.

I was just able to cut my 7,000 sq ft yard at a near-scalping 1.5" height on a single charge using the 21" self-propelled mower, and had 25% charge remaining on the 7.5 Ah battery using the propulsion the entire time (plus a little extra messing around trying things out). I would think that the non-propelled version would last at least as long on its the 5.0 Ah battery.

Last year I needed a little over a full charge of my 4.0 Ah battery to cut my yard, but that plus the 2.0 Ah battery that came with one of my handheld tools was plenty. Whether you are looking at the push or propelled model, you may not need an extra 7.5 Ah battery. I am betting that in most situations the 5.0 Ah battery is the better option for a second battery.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ed, for reference, here's the new Self Propelled 7.5Ah kit:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-56...

And here's the 5Ah push mower kit:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-56...

Both are available as bare tools as well.
Photo of Janet Lauber

Janet Lauber

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I just found out the battery for the 21" self propelled mower is $400.  Yikes, the whole lawn mower cost $600.  Additionally, one very negative thing about this electric lawn mower is that it can't get wet - so no cleaning with a hose.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Janet, the lawn mower can get wet, but it's not recommended to clean it with a jet of water. And no, Ego does not recommend washing grass out of the mower deck with water.