7.5Ah BA4200 Battery Article on Pro Tools Review

• Praise
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
Pro Tool Reviews posted an article on the new 7.5Ah BA4200 battery pack:

http://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/outdoor-equipment/ego-battery-56v-7-5-amp-hours/16211/

An impressively large battery with tons of cutting capacity!

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,254 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Joseph

Joseph

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just purchased the leaf blower.  Excellent product.  I just wish the Canadian customer is able to purchase these new batteries.  I Like all the products, most likely purchase them all. Just need access to the batteries...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 177,766 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I hear ya... I'm in Ottawa, only an hour from the border, so getting down there to buy stuff is relatively easy. That is, if the exchange rate was a little better!

Solution: Sell the new batteries in Canada!
Photo of Joseph

Joseph

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

You just might have a new job...Buy in the US and sell them to us Canadians...Just a thought, ha, ha...

Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I keep hearing about this battery.  I'm not aware that we in the U.S. can purchase it yet.  What's the hold up?
Photo of Rob

Rob

According to this review, the 7.5ah battery allowed them to run the mower for 1hour and 40 mins. The 4ah battery only runs for 45 mins max...on my lawn with a large hill, that falls to about 35 mins.

How can 1 7.5ah battery more than double the run time of 2 4.0ah batteries. I know there are those out there who claim 1 4.0ah battery lasts them an hour but frankly I don't believe them because of my own hands on experience and because not even the manufacturers claims anything close to that run time.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,234 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Mowing grass to test run time isn't exactly a scientific test, so I bet there's some inconsistency in their testing regarding varying grass thickness, exact walking speed, etc.

Having said that, a larger capacity battery will usually last longer than its capacity difference would indicate in a high drain application. This is because the larger battery puts less demand on each individual battery cell, and the cell discharges at a lower rate losing less energy to heat. I guess you can say that the cells discharge more efficiently at lower rates, meaning their real world capacity is actually higher.

Since the 7.5Ah pack is almost twice the capacity of the 4.0Ah pack, I bet that is a significant contributor.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Didn't know that. Thanks
Photo of SPNorth

SPNorth

• 598 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm hoping the release of the 5Ah and 7.5Ah batteries push down the cost on the 4Ah battery.  Just got the mower yesterday (love it!) with one 4Ah battery included and see the utility in having another 4Ah battery on hand to swap back and forth so my wife and I can get the yard done in one shot.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I had to purchase an additional 4ah battery for my mower also because taking a half hour of down time half way through cutting my lawn leaves me not wanting to finish the rest...lol. You will love the additional battery.

I just wish that the 7.5ah battery would have been sold with the mower because if you have a hill like I do in my yard, your run time is severely cut down from 45 minutes. 45 minutes isn't exactly a lot of time if you have any kind of real lot space. My gas mower would give me at least an hour and a half run time on a tank.