7.5 battery no light at all

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
My 7.5 amp battery has apparently hit the fan. It came with the 21inch self propelled mower I bought from HD in March of this year. I’ve used the mower all summer with no problems. Also own a leaf blower, carbon fiber shaft edged, and the edger. I have two other 2.5 amp batters that have had no issues since the last year. I have used them all with the rapid charger that came with the mower and this batter. When I put it in the mower it mows for 2 seconds and then quits with an alternating green/amber or orange blinking. When I put it on the charger it blinks 25% forever and never moves past that and when I press the button on the battery it doesn’t light up at all. Any suggestions? Could I technically take the whole unit back to HD since I purchased it on their credit card and have them replace the whole system even though i don’t have the box or should I just call Ego and have the battery replaced. Tried calling today, but was on hold for like two hours and eventually just hung up. Any other suggestions? Yes I have tried and succeeded in charging the smaller batters in the rapid charger so pretty sure it’s not the charger. Also, when I put the battery on the smaller charger that came with weed eater it just has a ticking sound and a flashing green light on that charger.
Photo of Tony Simmons

Tony Simmons

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Tony, no reboxing required to return to HD; they will decide to replace the battery or all. Be sure to have registered it for warranty and take your receipt to HD, even though they have the record. Update here as to what they do.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 10,196 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Any chance your battery was stored in a place that got super hot, like a garage or car? Somebody here a while ago had this issue. on a lark they tried sticking it the freezer hoping it would reset the overheat switch. They said it worked?
Photo of Tony Simmons

Tony Simmons

I usually keep my batteries in the garage if my house. I live in North Texas where it usually gets hot, but the others have had no issues. I guess I could try sticking it in the freezer as I doubt it hurts anything. Right now it’s just a brick and does nothing.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 480 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Return it. I am on my second mower and am having issues with it.
Photo of Tony Simmons

Tony Simmons

I’m taking it I should return the whole mower, charger and battery. And like I had read it is a year return date if purchased with the HD credit card?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,770 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes if you bought them all together as a kit then return them all together for a replacement.

per the HD website
BE 100% HAPPY WITH YOUR PURCHASE OR WE’LL TAKE IT BACK. NO PROBLEM.
merchandise sold by The Home Depot can be returned within 90 days of purchase, unless noted in our Return Policy Exceptions. If your purchase was made with The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card, The Home Depot Commercial Revolving Charge, or The Home Depot Commercial Account, you have 365 days from date of purchase to receive a full refund, unless noted in our Return Policy Exceptions.

as far as battery storage and temperatures
per the Ego manual
Store the Lithium-Ion battery pack where the temperature is below 80°F (26°C) and free of moisture
Optimum Charging Temperature32°F-104°F(0°C-40°C)
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Tony, yes.
Photo of Tony Simmons

Tony Simmons

Welp, great customer support from HD. Took my whole setup back in this afternoon and walked out with a new battery and charger. Quick and easy exchange while I heard the woman say they would get it out of another mower they had and RTV it. Not sure exactly what they means, but so far great support from HD. Didn’t even try to use the battery warranty, but hopefully this one has no issues. Now I guess I just need to change the registration numbers I have for the battery and the charger on the warranty information?
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 10,154 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I think you just need to register the new set. I assume she still gave you a receipt. great to hear they treated you right.
(Edited)
Photo of Tony Simmons

Tony Simmons

I did get a receipt but not sure about registering a new set? I assume just register the battery and charger instead of a new mower purchase since I didn’t get the whole set? Just know previously I had said I bought the mower and it asked for all that came with it. So just register the battery and charger this time I take it.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,548 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
RTV means Return to Vendor. So, they'll return what's left in the mower box back to EGO after they take the battery and charger out of that box that they then gave to you.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 10,154 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Sorry, yes, I meant register the batt and charger set as just a new registration, rather than swap them in for your original warranty. It was late and I was reading into your comment you thought you needed to do the latter.