7.5 amp battery discharging on their own when being stored.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
I have several 7.5 amp batteries, all newer that when just sitting on the shelf a red indicator light comes on, the battery becomes very hot and seems to be discharging energy. I contacted customer support and they have no answers. Anyone else having this issue or any ideas what is going on?
Photo of Bob Keilholtz

Bob Keilholtz

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 75,248 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
How long is it before the batteries discharge? They have a built-in circuit that automatically discharges them to 30% after 30 days.
Photo of Bob Keilholtz

Bob Keilholtz

I left a comment below, interesting that this might be the problem. Seems like a rather fast discharge since the batteries get really hot. Any idea why ego programs a discharge cycle?
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 4,328 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
It's a battery health feature. Lithium batteries last longer in long term storage when NOT fully charged. Of course not handy when being used for emergency backup power.
(Edited)
Photo of keefer sloane

keefer sloane

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I’ve contacted customer service thru email twice and haven’t gotten any response. I’m a pilot and I’m in the air during business hours and can’t call. Very frustrating
Photo of Bob Keilholtz

Bob Keilholtz

Are you having the same discharge issues?
Photo of Bob Keilholtz

Bob Keilholtz

I think it has been less than 30 days, we have batteries that we rotate, smaller amp as well as 7.5. Only noticed 7.5 because we also have the nexus inverter and keep it in the garage when I have noticed the red light. Could have been doing the same on the other batteries but have never noticed or seen it but seems only on the 7.5. Not sure why they programmed to discharge at 30 days, when I called tech support they had no ideas. Since we rotate batteries we only see this happen in just a couple of batteries at a time but the batteries do get hot.
Photo of Bob Keilholtz

Bob Keilholtz

Read the instructions and yes, after 30 days it drops to a 30% state. We have the California blackouts and ideally want to keep it near 100% for the nexus inverter, guess to only workaround is a periodic charge every 25 to 30 days.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 11,130 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Or leave them on the nexus inverter plugged in....