580 Blower

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
I've seen a youtube video on the throttle knob and how it's got it's own built in switch and you can set a static rate blow with it.  I know about the turbo button up top, for an immediate full speed blast.  What does the trigger do?  Can it act as a variable speed for when you need a job that requires varying up speeds at many different times?
Photo of Chris Huber

Chris Huber

• 382 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 18,812 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The trigger simply starts the blower when depressed.
Photo of Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Ok, so must use the speed knob to set desired speed, then use turbo for the varied speed needs?

William E Hanson

The speed knob allows for variable speeds; you can change it as you're blowing. The turbo button simply gives you the turbo boost; max.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,758 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
William's descriptions sound more like the 530.

William E Hanson

Yes, that's what I have.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 72,226 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The knob allows you to set a specific speed and leave it there, without the need to keep holding down the trigger. Or, you can not use the knob and simply squeeze the trigger, which provides variable speed, depending on how far you squeeze it.

I find myself rarely using the knob, but I don't have a large area to clear after mowing and much prefer the variable speed of the trigger.
Photo of Chris Huber

Chris Huber

This is what I wanted to know and hoped that it would do.  Thanks.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,758 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I just got a 580 blower recently and prefer the variable trigger and knob over the 530 design of on/off trigger with a speed setting dial.  Ken nailed the operation - I will just add that the Turbo button is a boost beyond the full speed of the trigger or knob.  The knob comes in handy when you are doing a job where you know you want a constant speed for a while.  Then you can just set it and get to work with no trigger pushing needed.  Then if you find an area where you need more power you can use the trigger to go above the knob speed setting and of course can always put the pedal to the metal with the turbo button.