575CFM Blower died

• Problem
  • Updated 6 days ago
My blower is 1 year old and it just made an abrupt groaning noise and died. I haven't even used it for more than 1 hour in the whole year! The battery light turns on (green) when I press the trigger but nothing happens. I tested a second battery and get the same result. 

I thought I could get warranty service since I still have my receipt from Grainger. But I just found out that they're not an authorized retailer!

So anybody have any ideas on how I may fix the blower?

Thanks
Photo of gk

gk

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 16,070 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Call customer service 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656). Call early during the workday to avoid long waits.They may make repairs at your expense since your warranty is void. Worth a try; if not, you could buy a bare tool blower to replace.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 69,204 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Grainger is or at least was an authorized retailer, so your warranty should still be valid. Talk to customer service.
Photo of gk

gk

Thanks, I'll give them a call.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,738 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I contacted Grainger to find out about EGO warranty coverage and here is their response. Very noncommittal. gk, who told you Grainger isn't an authorized retailer?

"Grainger does offer EGO products, please visit our website to view the items we offer. Our warranty covers a 30 day return policy. For anything past that we would need to contact EGO to ensure the product is covered under their warranty."
Photo of gk

gk

Nobody told me. I made the assumption because Grainger isnt on EGO's authorized seller list.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,938 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I was relatively sure that Grainger was an authorized seller. I bought a 7.5 AH battery from them and was relatively certain that I had seen a verification message that they were an authorized reseller from an ego employee on this forum.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,686 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You did. Grainger/Zoro were authorized dealers, at least as of a few years ago.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,738 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ok, a bit more research and yes, Grainger is an authorized dealer for EGO products. Not sure where you got your info, gk, but they are.
Photo of gk

gk

Success! Registered my blower online with the Grainger receipt then called in. Talked to a CSR and told her what happened. She had a 580CFM sent out as a replacement! 

Called on Thursday; received blower today (Tuesday). Only 5 days!

William E Hanson

• 16,070 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
GK, thanks for the update; always good to hear positive outcomes.
Photo of gk

gk

Any tips on what to look for when I dissect the old one to try and fix it?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Wow, you don't have to return the old one?

William E Hanson

• 15,598 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Any case, if whatever you try and it doesn't fix it, you're not out anything. Good luck with your tinkering.
Photo of gk

gk

They did not ask me to return the old one.

William E Hanson

• 15,598 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It's usually costlier for the manufacturer to handle returns than to tell customers to do as they please with the broken item. I've had that experience several times with different vendors.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think that's true of lower cost items as I've had lots of $4 - $5 items that I didn't have to return. I'm thinking it might have more to do with the 575 being discontinued. 

gk, have fun troubleshooting for sure.