575 CFM Blower update: I've discovered where all of the smoke came from.

  • 1
  • Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: 575 CFM Blower failed, it appears to have blown a capacitor. Two other problems.

You need more conversation types, like "other".

I will be posting a video to this thread in the future, but for now, here is what I discovered:
After spending quite a bit of time searching for what caused all of that smoke to come form the blower, I found that a wire had been heavily charred.  The smoke came from the coating on that wire, so at first I thought that the other four wires of the set of five wires that included the one that burned were too thin and were not fit to take the current, but that wouldn't explain why the blower worked fine for four months. Just before I replaced that wire, I started to think it to be more likely that that wire burned because of a power surge resulting from failure of a different part, which was further evidenced when I replaced that wire and the unit still failed to function. So the cause of that unit's failure remains a mystery.

I scrapped the old electronics and put the unit back together with just the brushless motor and EDF.  Its failure has given birth to a new project, which involves me replacing the old controller and other electronics with new ones that will transform the unit from a 575 unit to a 750 unit.  I'm guessing that the motor will not tolerate more than 2000 watts, and to be safe, I am going to set it up for a 1500 watt maximum power.  We'll just have to wait to see how powerful of a blower Project SuperEGO yields.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

  • 12,902 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

  • 1

There are no replies.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.