575 CFM Blower failed, it appears to have blown a capacitor. Two other problems.

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
Yesterday wasn't a very good day for me.  I put the battery on my 575 EGO unit and pulled the trigger and it started up.  I was just beginning to use it and as I throttled up again, the blower made a sound like a rubber brake was suddenly engaged to the motor and the fan stopped very rapidly.  Quickly after that, quite a bit of smoke came out one of its air vents near the cruise control.  It is as if it went into startup mode while nearly at full power.  I'm pretty sure it blew its startup capacitor but I have not disassembled it pending a warranty claim.  I don't know what caused it, but I do know that this is not supposed to happen.  I called customer support yesterday and reported the problem but did not file a warranty claim because at the time, I knew I needed my receipt information but was at my grandparents' house and had no access to it, but once I have that and then register my 575 unit, a replacement will be shipped out to me, so that problem is in progress of being solved.

Here is the bigger problem, and it is more of a problem for you guys than for me.  This is not the first bum unit I've had.  Back in late August, early September, 2015, I had a 480 unit quite on me for reasons unknown to me. I disassembled it after a replacement was shipped out to me and I was unable to find the problem with it, and as I did more research on this forum, my theory is that the motor controller failed because of thermal expansion of an epoxy like substance that coated the controller wrecking the circuitry, but that I have not confirmed.  I also have seen quite a few reports of bum units on this forum.  Granted the 575 unit worked for almost four months without issue, so I don't see how you guys would have detected it as a bum unit by testing it.  If I were to make a few guesses about what caused it to fail, I would say ferric dirt caused current to arc to a pathway that it didn't belong, I would also guess that a flaw in the controller caused it to go into startup mode upon receiving signals from the trigger.  I'll know for sure when I disassemble it, but for honor's sake, I won't do that until after the warranty claim is assessed.  The only thing I did to this unit was remove its landing gear (discussed in videos with links posted on this forum. Check my review of the 575 unit), then I put the four screws that held the gear in place back in so that no dirt would get in the screwholes and so that the plastic wouldn't be scratched on cement.  This is not something that would cause a circuit failure like this.  I also have dropped this unit before, including during a time I crashed my scooter while using it to propel myself and to help me maneuver, but I find it hard to believe that that crash would have messed up the circuitry, also the blower continued to work for weeks after the crash, and I have crashed my Greenworks 80V blower three times and it still works as well as it did out of the box.  Even if the crash was responsible for the blower's failure, it is unacceptable because the blower did not suffer an impact any worse than it would have were I to lose grip on it while blowing off the driveway, and the only noticeable damage was a scuff on the shell.  This blower's shell handled the crash better than my Greenworks blower did, though the Greenworks blower hit the ground harder two out of the three times.  Anyway, none of what the blower has gone through under my possession should have caused this to happen.  I am going to register this unit under commercial warranty because of how much I use it, and because while I do not really use it commercially right now, I will be once I'm better situated to launch my lawn business.

The third problem has to do with the 2.5Ah battery packs.  You guys pride yourselves about all of your tools being compatible with all your batteries, but I do not think that the 2.5Ah pack can handle the current that the 575 unit, and for that matter, any unit that draws more power than the 575 unit.  The pack is just getting too hot and it seems that the blower loses power early on in the charge, as if it is demanding more current than the battery can give.  This does not happen with the 2Ah packs.  One of my 2.5Ah packs has lost about 15% of its capacity over the seven months that I've had it.  I'm a bit concerned about all of the other 2.5Ah packs that are out there, if more people are going to have this problem.  Anyway, you guys have some problems that need solving.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

  • 12,812 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
  • problematically.

Posted 1 year ago

  • 1
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

  • 6,208 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Quite an interesting tale, especially using it as a turbo fan on you scooter!   Rather amazing.  
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

  • 12,812 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thank Kite Army for the idea.  He did it on a skateboard.  It works way better on an ultra-low friction scooter from Xootr Urban Transport.