• (Edited)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mark Belstadt

Mark Belstadt

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the review! You mentioned an 18 minute runtime for the unit, is that with a 2Ah battery? Do you have any data with the 5 Ah battery? Also, if you were going to go with one blower would you choose this over the 80 volt units? I've got the Kobalt and wondering if this is a significant upgrade. Thanks in advance!
(Edited)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

18 minutes is with the 5Ah pack.  Is the 575 unit an upgrade, sort of. It moves more air and is a better leaf mover.  I personally prefer to have both the 80V unit and the 575 unit around.  It's almost like asking me if I would upgrade from the Stihl BR-600 to the BR-700. I do not think I would, but if I needed a new backpack blower, I'd go with the 700 if I went for Stihl gas backpack blowers. Personally, I prefer the Husqvarna 580BTS for gas backpack, and for electric, I prefer the 575 because it is so much quieter than my 80V units.  It does not make a loud fan whistle.
Photo of Mark Belstadt

Mark Belstadt

Is the 18 minute runtime at full power the entire time? Also, what do you feel the 80 volt unit does better than the Ego?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Mark, yes the 18 min run time is at full power continuously. Your second question requires TAT's response. :-)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

It moves stuck debris better, or it does when the EGO is without any attachments. I found a reason for you to upgrade to the 575CFM EGO.  Use a plastic cup, a thick plastic one to create an attachment that tapers the discharge to a diameter between 77mm and 80mm, that will strengthen the 575 unit significantly.  I will upload a video to demonstrate in the near future and I will compare the 575 unit with the 80V units in more detail.  Also, I submit that to EGO, create a tapering attachment, taper the discharge to around 77mm and 80mm, test to find the optimal tapering diameter to increase the air speed without restricting the unit too much. I have done this and my 575 unit works a lot better.  With this tapering attachment, the EGO unit will do anything the 80V unit can do, that pretty much justifies an upgrade. Also, I still think that the backpack blower is a much better deal.  It comes with the same battery and charger as does the 575 unit and is $50 less.  I think you should choose the backpack unit over the 575 unit to complement your 80V unit.
Photo of Mark Belstadt

Mark Belstadt

Personally, I prefer a handheld unit to a backpack, although I think I would grow to appreciate a backpack if I had one. Have you evaluated the flat nozzle attachment that EGO released? (https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-AN53...) I thought that was possibly for increasing the air speed and unstucking leaves. I agree that the Kobalt 80V is great at that, in addition to moving quite a bit of air. Looking forward to the comparison video and the taper attachment details, thank you theatomtwister!
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

TAT, have you tried a taper attachment with the backpack blower yet?
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

not yet. I'll be getting the backpack blower within the next couple of months, though I imagine it would work quite well, but I will not know for sure until I work with it.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

I've been using the flat attachment and it has worked fantastically with getting live oak leaves out of the grass.  While I still like the ergonomics and charge times and runtimes of the 80V units, the 575 EGO has pretty much become my go-to blower, especially now that I've managed to bring up the air speed with that tapered attachment.  I have not measured the force of it with the tapered attachment, but I estimate it to be 18 to 20 Newtons, well into the range of backpack blower strengths.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The tube on the backpack blower is a little larger, hopefully the cup trick will work.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

larger discharge diameter?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yes. If I remember I'll measure the difference and report back.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

If that is so, how the hell can it reach 145mph?  If the discharge is the same diameter then the highest that it can get to without attachments is 125mph if it is moving 600CFM.  That would make the force not 22 newtons but only 19.  If that is the case, give me a reason to purchase this over the Greenworks backpack blower.  I have confirmed that it does do 580CFM at 145mph without the tube and with the tube about 540CFM at 165mph, or 21 newtons.

I'm gonna buy them both anyway, but just for the sake of argument.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ego BP blower is rated at 145 MPH maximum air velocity, 120 MPH average air velocity, 600 CFM, per the manual.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Then it would have to make it all the way up to 725 CFM if it reaches 145mph at the nozzle.  Where is the 145 coming from?
(Edited)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

well, it doesn't really matter.  I'll pit the EGO against the Greenworks as I have their respective handheld units.  We'll see which is the stronger.  I can always create attachments to increase volume or increase speed, but the base force is what dictates the highest volumes and speeds I can attain with attachments, along with the level of restriction the fans can take, and I know the Greenworks fans can handle more restriction than can the EGO fans.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Average vs max air velocity is an ongoing debate with blower specifications. Since air moving through a duct has its peak velocity at the center, that misleading spec is often used. Ego provides both numbers, probably so it can be compared to competitors regardless of which spec they provide.

Average velocity * open area is what should be used for blower specifications IMO. :-)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

It's Home Depot again... I need to remember to look at the manual specs instead of Home Depot's.  Also, there is the speed of the air at the fan, which has a lesser cross-sectional area than at the nozzle, so the air moves faster there than it does at the nozzle.  
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi guys, we actually just caught that typo about the max air velocity. The real max air velocity actually is 142 MPH. We're updating our manuals to reflect the change.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Confirm this is for the backpack blower and not the 575 unit?
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
TAT, I'm sorry. I thought we were talking about the 575 CFM blower for some reason. The max air velocity for the 600 CFM Backpack Blower is 145 MPH using turbo.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,838 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It's no wonder Jen assumed discussion was  re the 575 unit--look at the title of this thread, people.   :)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,094 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Jacob, given the amount of dead grass you have on your lawn, I think you need to have both the backpack blower on one side, and the new 575 on the other side.  The "double" blowers might get the job done faster ....  thanks for posting the video, looks like fun .... :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

It's not dead grass. It's Prairie grass stuff. Starts from root every year it seems.

Don't worry sir I was double wielding. After the vid. 480cfm and 575 cfm. It was fun.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Or just get your daughter to follow you with the blower while you trim. Don't give her the 575 though, she might lift off!

All the toys and a yard to use them on... jealous! :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,094 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
No kidding ....
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Lol she was swinging on the swingset and she said. Turn the blower on me. I did........... it knocked her off... I felt bad.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

And. You can come mow it if ya want.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

You felt bad... in a good kinda way. ;-)
Photo of Mark Belstadt

Mark Belstadt

@theatomtwister, did you upload a video of the taper attachment? I'm not good at finding things on the forums :o)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNP3W-nP2fM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZG9LL1vgxU

The links are also on my post about the 575 unit tapered attachment.

Sorry, I never got to uploading it until now.
(Edited)