56v battery not charging. Could it be the charger? Charger light reads 25% then eventually shuts down.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
Just like title says, can't get battery charged. I put two different 2.5ah batteries on the fast charger and the same thing happens. The charger immediately turns on, fan turns on, and green light on charger reads 25%. It runs like this for several minutes and then just shuts down. I get no light on the battery when I press the status light button. Could this be my charger? I initially thought battery but with two different batteries resulting in the same symptoms, it makes me think it could be the charger.
Photo of Skittles

Skittles

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of summetj

summetj

• 11,100 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If the "other" battery that you are trying to charge does show a status light when you push the button, then I'd say it's probably the charger. (However, if both batteries don't show a status light when you push their button, they are probably both having the same problem.)

If you are under the warranty period (3 years for batteries and chargers) it sounds like it's time to call Ego (early in the morning to avoid the queue, wait to speak with a representative, don't trust their call back offer).
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,294 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Sorry to hear that, Skittles. If you haven't already, please call our service team at 1-855-346-5656. They're available until 8pm EST tonight. 
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Other than the two 2.5AH batteries, and the fast charger, do you also have a standard (slow) charger?  If not, then you could further troubleshoot the issue by measuring the battery voltage (if you have a volt meter). 

At some point, if you run the batteries down, they could get to a point where they don't display anything when the power button is pressed.  The Battery Management System (BMS) is supposed to prevent that from happening (by keeping reserve power), but if the BMS goes bad, then there isn't a way to prevent that, and eventually the battery will be drained.  Another sub-system of the BMS is the maintenance mode which discharges the battery down to 30% after a 30 day period; but when that sub-system fails, it takes the battery down to 30%, but then keeps draining it.  I had one of those batteries, and Ego ended up replacing it under warranty.