56 V Battery Issue/Question

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

Just received my new ego backpack blower and when charging the battery (56v) for the first time the power light on the battery pack stopped blinking and the charger makes a clicking sound. The manual says when the battery is charged the light should stay on green. Is this a defective charger?
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

• 546 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,394 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Liz, I've noticed that when the batteries finish charging the power indicator on the battery does turn green, but shuts off after a little while.

As for the clicking sound, not sure what to think of that? I can't say I've ever noticed anything like that before.

Does the tool perform properly with the charged battery?
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

Blue angel,
Thanks for the speedy response.  No, the tool does not operate properly.  It will run for approx 5 seconds than stop.  when I release the operate button and press it again, it will run for approx 5 sec and stop..again, and again, and again :-)
I may have gotten a faulty blower/battery combo, not sure...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Official Response
Battery and charger issues are fairly easy for Ego's customer service team to troubleshoot. Give them a call and they'll get you back on track. :-)
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

Thanks Blue angel,
I will call them and see what they can do for me.  I was gonna do a whole lotta blowing this weekend.  Guess I'll just have to find something else to do :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,144 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Whenever mine do that. I unplug from the wall and it clears the problem.
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

I did that once already...but will try again tomorrow before I call them.  Thanks for the feedback.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,554 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Did you order online?
Your local HD should be able to swap the battery for you as this sounds like a bum battery.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,438 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Liz, I had the exact same issue with my back pack blower as well.  Once I contacted CS, they walked me through their "diagnostic" process and the conclusion was a defective battery.  If you can not wait for a replacement battery, then I would do what Exrace suggested - return the blower and swap out for a new unit.
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I tried again this morning and had the same response.  Will call CS and see what needs to be done next.  
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

Update:  EGO will send me a new battery.  It will take 7-10 days.  While I expressed my displeasure with this there was no other option except to return the product to HD.  According to CS HD does not carry the 56v battery.  As the product met all my expectations I did not want to return it.  So...leaves and pine needles will just have to wait. :-(
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

HD does carry the batteries, but they are usually not stocked in stores. I guess it was faster to ship one directly to you?

At least you know a solution is on its way.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 66,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just to be clear, all of Ego's batteries are 56v. The backpack blower comes with the 5.0 Ah battery, which most stores don't carry.

If you bought it in store I would have exchanged the entire blower if they had more in stock since you need to use it this weekend. But since you didn't, my experience the one time I needed a replacement battery was that Ego's shipping was faster than estimated.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,554 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Since batteries can't fly...ground shipping can be slow.
Maybe your shipment will be put on a fast truck. :)
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

Yes to all of the above... my response was not clear...but I knew what I was talking about :-)
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,412 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Here is a video of a 5.0 AH battery on the standard charger, doing the on/off clicking syndrome.  The battery will not charge, and the light on the battery does not operate either.  In the video, you'll see that the battery led is fast flashing red (normal is slow cycle through red/yellow/green).  Ego is sending me a replacement battery (too).   This was a new battery that from Amazon that was DOA (dead upon arrival).

(Edited)
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

Hmmmm. There seems to be a few issues with the batteries being shipped with the backpack blower.
(Edited)

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,412 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Just a point of clarification, mine was a stand alone 5.0 AH battery, not part of any kit.
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

EGO CS indicated they would send me an email when my battery shipped.  I have not yet gotten such an email from them.  Is this normal for them or should I call them and find out what happened?  
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 65,672 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It never hurts to call them.

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,402 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I am awaiting an email for shipping confirmation too; when I ordered parts from them, it did take a few business days for the order to be processed, so I'm expecting mine to take a few more days.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Liz.  The blower unit has at least a 30day no hassle return policy with HomeDepot.  Just because you return one does not mean that you cannot buy another.

To address the question on battery failure, as you get into a more sophisticated system like EGO has, the charger and electronics inside the battery protect themselves if they find something outside of spec when the unit get into a charge situation.  Failure of a unit though unfortunate can happen.  The manufacturing method generally they would fully test only 2-3 batteries out of every 100 made in a run.  if they ones tested show up as having issues then the whole batch would be all tested.  They also most likely do a bump charge to test that a voltage is present so they don't ship a battery DOA.  Now a battery that is sitting on the edge of spec can test fine before being shipped but with the process of shipping and exposure to cold and other conditions is enough to put it over the edge.  That is why manufacturers give a warranty window.  EGO is exceptionally long given 3 years.

I have had an issue with a battery with my first purchase, and EGO did ship out.  it took a bit longer for me as I like in Canada so shipping from the USA to me takes a while with ground and borders involved.
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

Got my email tonight...should be delivered on Friday...I see some leaf blowing in my future :-)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

Make sure you let us know how everything went on Friday after you get your new battery.  

I don't know the size of your lot and what your plans are for the blower.  I found myself that it took about 2-3 hours of playing to get the total knack of using the blower.  For example, I have a wooden fenced in backyard, and being lazy, didn't want to pull out a rake to get the leaves from against the fence line.  If you put the blower onto medium and point the nozzle down at 60deg you can get enough lift on the leaves to blow away from the fence without really blowing forward.   In my back yard i have to paper bag the leaves as the city doesn't do other leaf collection with the big suctions trucks.  This way I could get the leaves into the middle of the yard to make it easier to pick up.

Just because the blower CAN do 600cfm, doesn't mean that you have to use it that way all the time.  That was the bigger selling point I got with EGO.  The variable speed blower really is veriable.  Most of the plug in electric ones have low medium and high fixed speeds and sell it as variable.  
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

As an owner of the backpack blower, I can honestly say that I never need to go past 3 clicks from the "lowest" setting for all my yard work ... including the Fall leaves. Thus, you have more than enough power to do your Fall cleanup, and still have plenty of juice left over.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Awesome and have fun with your new OPE!  I have been using mine at least "twice a week" now that Fall is here.  Please keep us posted on your experience with it!
(Edited)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

With all this talk about blowing leaves, got me looking outside to see there are more in my back yard that need to get done.  But last night it rained.  

I wonder, if you blow the leaves for long enough with the high CFM blower, do you think it would air dry the leaves?  I hate picking up and bagging wet soggy leaves.  Trying to figure out if i should wait for a few more days for it to turn sunny with the hope it would dry them out thermally.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

From my perspective, if you have the tools, then why not use it when you can - rain or shine.  I have seen plenty of YouTube videos on how the EGO blowers (480 CFM or 530 CFM) have done well in the wet condition.  So this is your opportunity to make a "homemade" video on how you can "air dry" your wet leaves.  I love to see it when you are done editing it ....
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

I have seen people using the blower to dry a car.  why not.  Hard part is I need video assistant to film me while I work.  
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Or get a GoPro and wear it on your head while you do your yard work.  I was thinking of doing the same so I can demonstrate the power of the backpack blower on my fall leaves.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

GoPro right on the nozzle for that "first person shooter" effect. :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Awesome idea ... kind of like the first DOOM video game!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

How about "grenade view" where you just put the GoPro in the blower tube and launch it at your enemies? :-D
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Ha ... that would be one heck of a video of the year!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Maybe Ego can get Barnaby working on that one. :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

He would be an INSTANT MOVIE STAR in this video ... but he might be too expensive for an "independent filmmaker" like me ....
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

I have never owned/operated a blower...this is my first attempt at taking care of things myself.  Too bad I don't have a go pro...I will be a riot out there while I learn what to do.  My yard is about 1/4 acre of pine needles and leaves.  And I need to try and not blow them into the lake.  This should be fun!  You have all been so helpful I will be sure to update you on my escapades :-)
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

Update:  New battery works...and it took forever for it to run outta juice :-)  I have no idea how to make things go where I want them to and spent lots of time blowing the same stuff around ...but what fun. For others that may be wondering...it is a very comfortable blower, and I was out there for around an hour and it never felt heavy or awkward.  I am pleased with it so far.  I used the turbo a couple of times but the regular settings worked just fine.  I have several months of pine needles and leaves to move about.  I am sure once I keep things up it will be easier and I will be able to do it in one battery charge.

Question:  The nozzle kept falling off, even when I had it turned to the lock position.  Is there a click or something I should hear?

Can't wait to add more Ego tools to my collection!!!  
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

Try turning down the power on the front control.  Start on the lowest setting and blow stuff around and slowly increase the power.  that way you will find out what setting you need to move and get a feel for how far it will go.  When you get a bigger pile of leaves and needles, the pile will start to roll rather than blowing everywhere.  It took me about 3 days of 'playing' and now I can move my garden leaf waste around without too much hassle.  Yes you will need to blow some stuff back and forth a bit.  Sometimes it the only option as you can't position yourself in the perfect spot to move air in the right direction
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Hi Liz, thanks for the update and I am so happy to hear the replacement battery works! That said, you should hear a click sound when the nozzle is locked in place. I have never had my nozzle came off during use. As far as the comfort of the backpack blower, I totally agree with you as well - it's very comfortable for long term use.
(Edited)
Photo of Liz Ryan

Liz Ryan

I am sure I did not have it completely locked.  Once the battery charges up again I'll give it one more go around before dark.  I'll listen for the click!
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

It is not really a click, but more a snapping of the plastic ridges fitting one inside the other.  I remember it taking quite a bit of force to get it in.  (and i am not a small guy).  Don't be afraid to give it a good push
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Liz, I did the same thing with my backpack blower.  The nozzle fell off while I was using it about 10 minutes in.  Turns out I just didn't turn it far enough for the plastic ridges to lock into place.   Let us know if you're still having trouble after double checking for the "click" or "lock in" noise.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Great to hear it's working well, Liz! Your Ego addiction starts here! :-)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

I'd call it a realisation that you can get a great tool that runs without the hassle of a cord or the unpleasantries of gas

it's only an addiction if you are buying tools you don't need or really don't have a use for.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I was just kidding, Matt! ;-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.