530CFM vs 580CFM - Worth the extra money?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
I've been going back and forth trying to convince myself that the 580CFM blower kit with the 5.0AH battery is worth the extra $150 when compared to the 530CFM blower kit with the 2.5AH battery. I already have a 5.0AH battery and an additional 2.5AH. 

Is the 580CFM blower that much more powerful or is it really difficult to notice the difference? I'd rather not spend $300 if I can get away with $150. Thoughts? 
Photo of Daniel Aspesi

Daniel Aspesi

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,486 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you buy at Home Depot and decide you want the other one instead you have 90 days to return/exchange no questions asked. Could be a way to try one and decide if it's for you or if the other one is.
I like the 2.5 ah battery in my 575 blower so I'd probably want the 2.5 ah kit. 
Photo of Retired Soldier

Retired Soldier

• 682 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I bought the 580 without battery and charger since I already had both with my ego mower. The 580 is a beast.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,962 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The 580 cfm leaf blower is the same price as the 530 kit at Home Depot if you get it without the battery and charger.

I've owned both models and the two blowers are quite similar. I think you'd be happy with either one. It just comes down to whether an additional battery would be of use to you. If not, I'd go with the 580 bare tool for the extra power, and just because it's a newer model.
Photo of Howard Halstead

Howard Halstead

• 926 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have owned both models, but found the 580 worked better with larger volume of leaves. We have a lot of maple trees and need to push large line of leaves.

Also, I think it is a brushless motor, so more durable.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 15,924 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I have the 530; bought before the 580 came out, but no question the 580 if I was buying one today.
Photo of Daniel Aspesi

Daniel Aspesi

Thanks for all the responses. I did read that the 530 had a brushless motor as well. The latest Home Depot ad has the 530 new for $150 as a kit. Still undecided if the 580 with the larger battery is worth another $150.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

• 2,072 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
580 for sure. I ran the 580 on my 2.5ah and barely lasted 8 minutes and aroundthe 6 minutes mark, the power started a slow decline. That extra 10% of blowing power could be the difference in blowing wet stuff around or not.

Don’t cheap out on the blower, it’s the most used garden tool besides the mower.

If you bought the 530 and can’t get that something out of the grass, you will second guess yourself forever.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 56,082 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think as mentioned before, you can always buy the 530 and try it out. You have 90 days to return it, no questions asked, if you don't think it's enough. Then get the 580 if the 530 doesn't work for you.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

I kinda feel unethical for doing that and Home Depot tracks your returns. The hassle of repackaging and returning is time consuming. Can’t seriously run a blower on a 2.5ah battery anyway.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Do they somehow use your returns against you? Probably not. You don't really have to fully repackage either. I use a 2.5 ah battery on my 575 and get a good 20 -30 minutes run time from it but I don't run it full bore the entire time. Plenty of power even at half throttle.
And... if you buy anything at Home Depot and it doesn't suit your need, how is returning it unethical? What are you going to do, not return it? 
(Edited)
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

I had the ryobi 40v blower for years and the lack of power forced me to upgrade so I can get the big jobs done. I have a sweetgum tree that drops gumballs and the 40v ryobi would not move it.

In any case, avoid the mistake I made of buying under powered tools and ended up spending more later on better tools.

20-30 minutes is very light blowing, like grass clippings on concrete. The light blowing also makes the job a lot longer than it should be. I just go full bore and get the job done quickly.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

My neighbor has sweet gum tree and we get the balls too. Half power on the 575 moves those balls along just fine. I can move gravel with it so I know it has plenty of power at half power. Note that the 20 - 30 minute run time is cumulative. I usually only use the blower for 5 - 10 minutes at a session it works that well. 
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

Gumball in grass will be very difficult to move on low setting and impossible when wet. The broccoli like seed pods they drop are also incredibly difficult to move on high setting in the grass. If you have the time and patience, you can get the job done. I certainly don’t have the patience you do.

William E Hanson

• 14,008 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I get millions of sweet gum balls everywhere and those trees aren't even on my property. My 530 on turbo easily blows them back into the woods.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,962 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I guess it depends on how much ground you have to clear and how many trees.

I use mine mostly for clearing grass clippings along one sidewalk and a relatively small driveway. Then I have leaves from a single tree in the fall, most of which I mulch.

For me, the 530 would suffice. But if you have a lot to clear, the 580 would be the way to go.
Photo of Howard Halstead

Howard Halstead

• 926 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Agreed. I have significant number of trees and Initially tried 530, but found it worked, but was slow moving larger lines of leaves. I traded up to 580 and have been very happy.

William E Hanson

A 530 with a 5.0 Ah battery is perfect for my dinky lot with no deciduous trees, but many in a large buffer area that ends up on my roof and lawn. Other times, the 2.5 Ah makes it lighter for blowing off hard surfaces.
Photo of raturenne

raturenne

• 60 Points
Both the 530 and the 580 have brushless motors.
Photo of Daniel Aspesi

Daniel Aspesi

What I ended up doing was purchasing the backpack blower 5.0AH battery kit from Home Depot for $180. Sold the blower for $100. Then since it was such a great deal I bought the kit again for $207. At the end if the day I have the backpack blower and (2) 5.0AH batteries for under $300. I wanted a handheld blower, but figured for the 5-10 times I use it each year the backpack blower would be fine. Plus it's more powerful in the CFM department.
Photo of William

William

• 526 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
There is no such thing as too much power.  The trigger is variable speed, so if you don't need the full 580cfm, you don't have to use it.  The 580 also as a turbo mode in case you need to blow a boulder off your walk.  :-) Finally--and this is a big one.  The 580cfm comes with a 5AH battery, which by itself is $219, so the blower + charger is costing you $80.  BTW, you also generally can't have too much battery (although someone with a 7.5AH on that blower might dispute that!)

William E Hanson

William, unless you're Paul Bunyan, the 7.5 would be prohibitively heavy on a blower without the backpack link. I use the 5.0 on my blower and it took some getting use to because the 2.5 will run down too quick on turbo mode.