480 vs 530 leaf blower

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • In Progress
Trying to decide between the two leaf blowers 480 CFM or the 530 CFM. Other than three speeds vs variable speed, what are the differences? Is one an older model?
Photo of Chris Donohoo

Chris Donohoo

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 59,446 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
530 is a great blower - think it has been around about 2 years - variable speed is very nice - allows you to easily adjust to the job.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 48,830 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The 480 is Ego's oldest model of blower. It's at least three years old.

I replaced my 480 with the 575, which is similar in design to the 530.

You can't go wrong with any of these. They're all powerful enough for the average homeowner, they're lightweight and easy to use. But ... I much prefer the design of the air intake on the 530 and newer models. Here's why: The air intake on the 480 is on the flat underside of the blower. I was constantly fighting it sucking the leg of my shorts or the tail of my T-shirt up against it.

It's not dangerous or anything --- it has a screen. But it was annoying. I had to hold the blower out well away from me at an odd angle. The design of the air intake on the newer models eliminates that problem.

It's kind of a minor thing, but it is something you'd notice.
Photo of Chris Donohoo

Chris Donohoo

Thanks for your comment Ken, this is just the kind of info I was hoping to find.  The price difference between them is so slight.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I'm glad I could help! Let me know if you have any other questions.

One other thing I noticed: If you step up to the 575 CFM, for the extra $50 you're getting a battery that has twice the capacity (and runtime). 5.0 Ah versus 2.5 Ah. The 5.0 Ah is, in my opinion, the best battery Ego makes.

It will weigh a little more, and I know $50 is nothing to sneeze at, but if you're thinking about buying other Ego tools or need a longer runtime, that $50 upgrade is worth thinking about.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Donohoo

Chris Donohoo

I see there's an optional nozzle to narrow the air stream.  Do you use this?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Sometimes, if I have wet leaves or something heavier (like mulch) to move, but for just clearing my sidewalk and driveway I don't find it necessary.
Photo of Chris Donohoo

Chris Donohoo

Sounds like I can take a pass on it.  Thanks!
Photo of Jack Parker

Jack Parker

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Definitely worth it to get the newer 530 which I got, or better yet the 575 with the double-life 5.0 Ah battery, which just wasn’t available in my area stores, or I would have gotten it to last longer with all the leaves I have to move in my yard. I love the speed control capability, because some places you want just a little push next to plants, etc, and other places you want to hit the “Turbo” button to blast loose those wet leaves or reach way under the car!
Enjoy!
Photo of Chris Donohoo

Chris Donohoo

Thanks for the replies I've received here!  I've ordered the 530, took a pass on the nozzle.  Looking forward to weather allowing a spring garden clean up to test it out!