4-8 Weeks For Repairs????!!!!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicates

My mower stopped working and started smoking this weekend after 10 mins of use. Customer service said we'd have to drop it off at Home Depot, pay $20 deposit, and it would take 4-8 weeks for turnaround.(Home Depot may say it'll take longer) When I asked how to cut my grass in the meantime, the customer service rep said to borrower a mower from someone. THAT'S YOUR ANSWER???!! I bought a mower, for $500, so I wouldn't have to borrow one. I asked if there was anything else that could be done and was told no. So, I have to wait 2 months to get my mower back and/or pay someone to mow my lawn in the interim. This is completely unacceptable. 

Photo of SBalanetsky

SBalanetsky

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Extremely unhappy and frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of TK

TK

• 4,276 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Only way out buy only the mower it'self, and use your battery.
Photo of Gerry Litvin

Gerry Litvin

• 1,092 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Wow, That is ridiculous and I feel real bad for you. I have read several stories like this over the past couple months.  Since Ego and HD have not come up with a better solution (like a free loaner) while the mower is gone for 4-8 weeks, I have made up my mind and will be returning my mower to HD for a refund and go back to a gas mower by Honda.
Photo of Rob Falcipieri

Rob Falcipieri

• 600 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Gerry, this was one of the main reasons I also returned mine. I'm now happily mowing with my rider and my Honda. If one of the breaks I can get them serviced locally in a reasonable amount of time.
Photo of TK

TK

I think I will be right behind you.
Photo of Rob Falcipieri

Rob Falcipieri

TK, I don't blame you. 4-8 weeks is not only ridiculous it's stupid!
Photo of SBalanetsky

SBalanetsky

I just can't believe there isn't a system in place for this kind of thing. Clearly, I'm not the first or only person the have this problem.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If repair network is your top criteria for deciding on a mower, electric isn't for you and won't be for a long time. It will be decades before there are as many shops servicing electric motors as small engine repair places.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Please be careful. You know how the Champions don't like being accused of working for Ego because of their responses to critiques of Ego? I don't like being accused of working for some other company against Ego just because some don't like what I post.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Someone needs to swing the banhammer...
Photo of Rob

Rob

How about you do that, Dave?  Swing away.  Because we all know that getting rid of your critics makes all problems go away.
Photo of TK

TK

Is there still a moderator on this site?

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Rob. There is a difference between critics and whatever you are considered. Critics aren't looking for a chance to get their words in there to cause problems. You, however, seem like your waiting for someone to say something just to get on here spread your negativity. It is annoying and your words are not credible anymore. Your constant bashing on champions also needs to stop. Just remember most people on here are here for help, not to hear your constant negative jabs at EGO.
Photo of Brennan Breene

Brennan Breene

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Gerry I bought a 21 SP EGO this spring. Based on the refusal of EGO to sell a full complement of parts for self-service and repair (the hell with the warranty) and reported wait times of 8 weeks or more from Home Depot I returned mine. I will say Home Depot was swell about the return (90 days since I ordered it online). I bought the steel deck SP Honda with electric start so my wife can use it and we love it. It was $499 so after my credit I was $100 ahead. It starts very easily and cuts real well (double blade). I highly recommend this mower!

Anyway, you are right - this whole service issue with EGO is unacceptable and may be their undoing. My post request for answers about service and parts went unanswered so after that I gave up and returned the EGO. I do see that snapper and Brigs and Straton have teemed up to make a rechargeable electric and Echo is making one too. They are not SP but I am sure that is in the works.

Anyway, as for the plight of Sbabnestky and others that are caught in the EGO service trap I feel for you. It is absurd this company operates in this manner. They say the are working on this but I think this may just be a lot of bull. Even if it is not setting up local nationwide parts and service will be years in the making before they get this sorted (unless the go under from what is going to be ruthless future competition)  before hand. Also be advised a 7.5 replacement battery is over $400 with tax and shipping!
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The 7.5Ah battery is pretty expensive. We were all a bit surprised at the price when it was first available. But I don't think most people will be replacing one until prices are much lower. Chervon, Ego's parent company, recently acquired a battery company that seems to have much higher capacity and more compact batteries. This should eventually drive down prices for current (2nd gen) batteries.

Still, you can get batteries much cheaper than Home Depot sells them if you shop all authorized Ego retailers and look for sales or promo codes. I see a 15% off Zoro code that makes the 5.0Ah $270 and the 7.5Ah $320. Still expensive, but much better than full retail!
Photo of Rob

Rob

Jacob he is probably here to voice his displeasure with the product.  And yes, there's quite a bit to be displeased about the new mower and Ego's 'repair' service setup in general. 

Myself, I have the 1st gen blower that seems to have maybe half the power it had when I first bought it and the 1st gen mower that cuts way too low.  Purchased the 21"sp and had to return it because of poor performance. 

Ego may have the best battery technology but that in itself means little if the product the battery fits in is subpar. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Well this is not a place to just complain. Its a place for us to help each other out. Do not forget this or it will be shut down if it no longer benefits EGO and the customers. Im pretty sure they hear us. No reason to "beat the dead horse"
Photo of Rob Falcipieri

Rob Falcipieri

We should not have to help each other out, We are the customer and paid a hefty price for the product offered. Ego should be doing everything they can to help US, and I don't see a rush to get there. Home Depot shouldn't have to offer a loaner program, Ego should be doing that through HD and I'm sure HD would comply if Ego offered it. My frustration comes from what appears to be lip service and the few that are completely happy to smile in the face of the inadequate support and the sluggish effort to turn things around. All companies have start-up issues but they address them quickly, judging from the repetitive issues that are reported I don't see it. If Ego put as much effort into resolving repeat issues as they do in pushing out new products I'm sure they'd have a much happier customer base.  By complaining we are actually helping Ego by pointing out their short comings, (something that other manufacturers don't seem to have a need to do.) I would love to be a major supporter of Ego, I think the premise of a non-gas powered mower, etc. is wonderful, I'd love to not be have to store gas or change the oil but the Ego offering just isn't there yet, not at the prices they ask versus the issues that remain.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Ego has clearly been working to improve their warranty service. They have struggled to get a good warranty service channel in place, but not for lack of trying. When HD was announced as the new provider last year, it was with great fanfare that this would finally fix all of the issues. Clearly it has not lived up to expectations.

Anyone who has ever actually communicated with Ego knows that they go above and beyond the service offered by most companies. I know I was very impressed the two times I had to call. And there have been dozens of reports of Ego taking care of people on a case-by-case basis. I suspect there are many more who don't bother to come back and post an update.

I still think the answer is to stock components at UPS hubs and have Ego-certified repair techs at those locations. That should get the UPS ground turnaround time for warranty repairs down to under two weeks. If Ego stocked refurbished units at those locations and exchanged incoming units for a prepackaged replacement unit, the turnaround time might be under a week. Even less if cross-shipped.

Obviously the Home Depot service times are not reasonable for warranty repair, and Ego is just as aware of this as the rest of us are. Hopefully they are able to terminate Home Depot and put a better warranty repair channel in place to keep their reputation for great service strong.
Photo of Brennan Breene

Brennan Breene

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Oh, I forgot there are some people on here that will defend EGO to the end of the earth and their reasoning is simply completely convoluted. Don't drink the Kool-Aid.. When you pay good money for a product you should expect good quality service. So that being said don't accept their addle minded musings. It is not you.. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

If that is a passive swipe at my comment above, I think you need to reread what I said.

No one is defending the long turnaround time for warranty repair, and Ego seems to be doing everything they can to improve it. Home Depot was announced as the exclusive warranty service provider in the US about a year ago because the original provider wasn't meeting expectations and was terminated. I can't imagine that Ego is any happier with Home Depot.

I have frequently encouraged everyone who either experiences the deplorable turnaround time or returned equipment because of the warranty repair process so that Ego will have more leverage to negotiate better SLAs or non-exclusivity with Home Depot and look for alternate providers.

The challenge for Ego is that small engine repair places are so prolific, yet there are basically no shops anywhere that specialize in electric OPE repair. There are literally at least half a dozen places to get gas equipment repaired within a five minute drive of my house. With that kind of competition those guys can't afford to give some absurdly long turnaround time or everyone will just go somewhere else.

So many electric motors are in things that aren't cost effective to repair after the warranty period that there just aren't as many shops who do this type of repair. Maybe appliance repair places will expand to service electric OPE at some point, but I doubt it will be any time soon. It is just a logistical problem of there not being enough demand until there are more of this new generation of battery powered equipment out there in need of repair.

So if easy access to repairs is a top concern to you, I would probably not move from gas to an electric mower for at least several more years.
Photo of Rob Falcipieri

Rob Falcipieri

It's unacceptable to expect customers to pay $500 for a mower AND THEN be expected to be a beta tester. Come on Ego, if you're so forward thinking you can do batter than that.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If you really want to have an Ego mower, but are facing lengthy repairs, you can always purchase another mower at HD and return it prior to the end of the return period.  PROBLEM SOLVED.
(Edited)
Photo of SBalanetsky

SBalanetsky

That is BRILLIANT.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Home Depot's return period is 90 days. I hate to say it, but if I ever have to send my mower away for repair and HD is going to take 4-8 weeks to repair it I know what I'd be doing to get myself a "loaner" while my mower was being fixed.

Ego and HD really do need to address this concern.

Edited to add: I see Dave beat me to it.
(Edited)
Photo of HJR

HJR

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'd be curious how EGO views HD inability to appropriately service their product. It's definitely a negative reflection on them.. I haven't seen any indication form EGO or HD that they are attempting to improve their ability to service their product in a reasonable timeframe. Until they do, I think the purchase and return is good advice. Maybe that will give HD or even EGO some incentive since now they have a product that can't be resold as new. Maybe the warranty should be amended to state warranty service will take an average of 4-8 weeks.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Maybe if they get stuck with enough of those returned mowers they can keep them around to give out as loaners.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We hear you all in terms of the complaints on service time. You've all made some good points and some combative points.  Rob, if we continue to see your comments driving everything in a negative way, we'll be forced to suspend your participation in this community.  No one here wants to be attacked and you don't seem concerned about that.  We're closing this thread since you've all voiced your concerns.  We are taking all of these complaints very seriously but do not have any changes planned in terms of our service agreement for this year.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.