4.0 Amp Battery (Model No. BA2240) Significant Reduction in Runtime

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

My 4.0 Amp Battery (Model No. BA2240) started the mowing season with a really weak on the first run. I'm now 3 more cycles in and I'm still only getting about 20 minutes of mow time (down from 45 min last year). Any thoughts?
Photo of Chad

Chad

• 178 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Chad

Chad

The "related conversations" feature just reminded me we've been having this problem now for a couple of years. I've re-looked over the past suggestions and am good on sharpening and weather. 
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
If this is the beginning of the 3rd year your battery is running like this... I'd say it is really hanging on!

But depending on how thick and the type of grass, it could be normal times... except you said it ran for 45 minutes 3 years ago.
Photo of Chad

Chad

Just went to the garage to check on charging and I've got a single red blinking light. Defective batter?
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

For a standard charger....

Everything is the same as for the rapid charger (I mentioned in this thread).

Except that in a battery defective state the charger has a flashing red light... Still the battery light would be off.

My comments are just what the manuals state in there charts.

~ Rapid charger
~ Standard charger
~ battery
Photo of Chad

Chad

I'm getting a 50/50 result...half the time the charger (not the battery) shows 4 solid greens (indicating a full charge) and the other half of the time, the charger shows a single flashing red in the first position (over the 25% spot). 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Is the result the same all the time, as in, the mower runs but for far less time than expected?
Photo of Chad

Chad

If the single flashing red light is on the charger, typically theres little/no juice in the battery. I'll only get a few minutes of runtime. If it makes it through and goes to a full charge, I'm getting about 20 minutes on the mower...slightly more on the trimmer and blower.
As a side note, I also have the 2.0 amp battery (the one that came with the trimmer) and it is still performing about like new. Same charger. Same charging conditions.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Based on that I'd say it is very likely an issue with your 4Ah battery. Get in touch with Ego Customer service and they'll determine for sure what the issue is, and get you the help you need.

Don't forget your 2Ah battery will work in the mower as well which is great backup to have!
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

I don't know how long you've had the Ego battery, but if you need to get another I would seriously consider...

Home Depot prices online /store...

$200 - 4 Ah battery
$250 - 5 Ah battery (25% more, 25% more Ah)
$300 - 16" chainsaw ($50 more & get a top rated chainsaw!)

$219 - 16" chainsaw w/o battery

For me, I'm holding off getting an Ego chainsaw til my mower battery craps out. It's the best way to get a high capacity battery from Ego.

You can look at it from two perspectives...

$50 more gets you a great chainsaw, or $80 more gets you a 5 Ah battery!

(if you don't have a working charger, you'll need to factor that in too. I have 3 chargers from mower /edger /blower, so I don't have to consider the charger)
(Edited)
Photo of Chad

Chad

Good thought. I may try to power through (pun intended) until the snow blower hits the market. It looks like it'll have a dual battery option and I'm guessing the snow blower will see less duty than the mower (which gets used at least weekly for 6 months out of the year). 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.