22 inch mower

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Just a bigger lawn mower, upping the ante a bit.  Also, I would really like for it to have a turbo button on the handle so I can run it at full power whenever I want instead of just when it hits dense stuff.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Pfft to 22. Go at least 30". It ain't that hard to build an expandable mower system if it's battety powered. Comeon EGO.
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 1,072 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

totally agree 30" plus!

loving the turbo button idea as well
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Cordless tractor...
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,194 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
22" & 30" but it has to be able to MULCH well or they would be missing the boat again. The self propelled function would have to be more robust as well. That's the only other feature that has failed on our two 21" SPs. We returned one mower that would only go in low speed permanently and once in a while the others will temporarily lose the variable speed function while operating in rainy conditions.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
A user selectable blade motor "throttle" would be nice, and the default setting as it is right now (auto speed adjust) could be called "Eco Mode" or something like that.

How about a countdown timer that estimates remaining run time based on current battery level and cutting power? Kinda like the "miles remaining" on a car's fuel computer? This way you could tailor the speed of the mower to the size of the job if battery capacity isn't a problem.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

I'm liking everyone's ideas on this page here.  I will add to that by saying have the self-propulsion be rear wheel and not front wheel. My Toro personal pace 22inch is rear wheel drive and I love it, I just wish it were electric.

Blue, I like the countdown timer, but that would add to the price of the mower. People would like it, though.

I thought about a variable speed blade throttle lever on one side and a variable speed propulsion lever on the other.  In any case, I want manual control of blade speed to be an option.  The one thing that has been keeping me from going electric with lawn mowers is not being able to manually control the power.

I do want a 22 inch and a 30 inch option now that Jacob brought it up.  
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I just want to let you know that the 21" SP is rear wheel drive.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,510 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That's exactly what I was thinking too....
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

This will be a 54" mower. The hard part so far has been getting the geometry correct so they all 3 articulate in 2 axis. Along with following the exact same path over hills so the connection point will be critical. They need to pivot in the Pitch (up and down) and roll axiis, Not Yaw (left right) So to do this I do have the design finalized. It's a 2 axis pivot thingy I have to fabricate. I will need 8 swivel caster wheels for this to work. Zero turn is going to be kind of important I think.

I have the motors, and controllers for the reels. I will try to push these as they aren't terribly heavy. Maybe 100 lbs all together. But I think I'm going to have to propel them. Then I might as well make it remote control with a virtual reality camera lol. But it's coming along.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Propulsion eh? You need yourself a burro:

https://youtu.be/Oo6YVQFNr9s

(Edited)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Hoorah for Diablo Sawblades.  You're not going to push those through thick grass, and as far as goes towing it behind a tractor, wait for a piece of debris to jam it up.  If you can solve those two problems, it should work well.

Oh yeah, and Blue, that would be way more disgusting if it weren't clearly brown paint.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

The reels will be powered. Shouldn't care about thick grass. As long as the caster wheels aren't too small. I think 8" should be fine. But I think I will need to self propel it
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
reels vs rotary?  ah, atomtwister is correct: debris coming into a reel is a problem.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Reels all day. Debris is easy to keep out, just pick it up. Since I'll save like 6 hours per week mowing, I'll just pick up the sticks. Or build some sweet contraption to pick em up for me :)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

problem solved.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

SERIOUSLY EGO COMEON. Fricken ryobi has a rider now. I wouldn't buy their garbage. But seriously. SERIOUSLY MAKE ME THIS
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

...yep. I want that 42 inch lithium ion zero turn.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Lots of interest here too!
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Ryobi has gone with lead acid batteries which is a BIG NO NO.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I saw that too. Forgot to mention that. And seriously they are just dumb. They could have made it zero turn for less money than what they did. Caster wheels in front and dual wheel motors in the rear. It isn't rocket science.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Here is your best option at this time...
http://www.meangreenproducts.com/nxr4852
a little more green$$$...okay a lot.

it even has an optional solar canopy for recharging on the go.
http://www.meangreenproducts.com/new-page-62
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

I saw Mean Green's backpack blower, and if it uses 4.5 horsepower to get 504 CFM at 150mph, it is a disgrace to efficiency.  The Husqvarna 580BTS gets 908CFM at 206 mph with 4.3 horsepower. It almost triples Mean Green's force with about the same power, I'd just freaking take Mean Green's motor and battery and stick them into the 580. 
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Good point...I'll stick with the Ego 575 cfm & 600 cfm back pack blower...what more do you really need?
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Something to replace the Husky 580