2102sp speed control

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I am a satisfied customer, owning the 2102sp for 3 seasons, after owning the 2100 for 2 seasons. My rating of the 2102sp is 5 stars. I do have one question. I and the spouse are getting old. The mower is going too fast for us even at the lowest speed setting. Is there anyway to control (reduce) the speed of the machine?
Photo of N NAP

N NAP

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,726 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You will get people say "It's slow enough".  I disagree.  When I'm bagging or want to mulch really well, i like a turtle speed and we should have that ability.  The slowest speed is sometimes just not slow enough. 

It's an electric speed motor, it should be able to move at a very minimal speed without a problem.  I wish they would address that.

Other than that very small complaint, like you, i love the mower.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,648 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
N NAP

If your speed control is working properly ie you can change from faster to slower, then there is probably no way to make it move slower.

If your speed control is not working properly ie stuck at one speed or not a smooth range, then you may need a repair to restore the variable speed and regain the slow speed.

(Edited)
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 15,598 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I always mow at the slowest speed to get the best cut and think of it as pretty slow. Whenever I want even slower. I disengage the SP and push it myself.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,504 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I'm 71 and had knee-replacement surgery in November.  I was out in the winter mowing and ran it about 1/4 from the low speed.   Now I'm running it at medium to 3/4  speed--I cut often enough not to worry about it bogging down unless it's been raining so much I can't mow due to weather.  I'm an impatient type who runs it as fast as the grass allows.

It pushes so easily why not just push it at an ultra-low speed?
Photo of N NAP

N NAP

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Dave Hi: Why bother spending so much money on an electric self powered/drive mower? The so called mechanical “Reel” mowers are priced so low, wonderful for the health too. Imagine all the exercise one can get, inhaling all that fresh air, and that sweet smell of grass! I can mention other benefits too.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 3,314 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Fresh air,? Do you mean fumes from gas? If you mean pushing and sweating in the summer, than yea health I guess. Don’t forget all the trips to the gas station oh and don’t forget about the oil, spark plugs, and filters. Not to mention storing hazardous chemical such as oil and gas at your house that is real safe for kids. Yea why bother getting an electric mower when you can have all that. If you got a SP electric you would have to miss out with all that.

:-)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 57,940 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Matthew, I believe N NAP was referring to a mower like this. No fumes from gas and no trips to gas station or oil usage. Nor spark plugs and filters. Definitely a good workout.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 3,314 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Oh I just saw why get electric old school is cool, than yea totally fresh air and in nature with that, my bad.

William E Hanson

• 15,576 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Matthew, funny response and was somewhat sarcastic; love it.

William E Hanson

Forget about reel mowers unless you're young or glutton for punishment. My parents had one I had to use as a kid to mow with. Not if I'm doing the mowing now.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,504 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
A Scotts Silent Reel was my first mower as a new homeowner.  I hated that thing at age 25!  My next mower was a Honda SP gas.  Whew!!
(Edited)

William E Hanson

Dave, loved my Honda SP; gave it away when the Reaktor told us the HOA takes care if all yard maintenance. If nitcan outright lie, it was at least mostly untrue. Had to repurchase whole new set of yard tools. On our 16th year here and almost eliminated all gas tools switching to all cordless with EGO leading.