Differences between the LM2102 vs LM2022 mowers?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
What are pros/cons between the 2 self-propelled models (plastic vs. steel deck)?
Photo of Chuck Martel

Chuck Martel

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The biggest difference is the steel deck mowers have a brushless motor which should prove superior in power and/or run time, but Ego has yet to offer any hard specifications to judge it by.

The other differences are 20" vs 21" blade, slightly wider range of height adjustment, true side discharge vs a rear/side chute, and the steel deck.

Few have used them so there's not a ton of feedback yet.
do we know if the brushless motor mower (2022) will be a better mulcher than the 2102sp? will it have the better blade that was to be brought to the US January 2017?
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,272 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Chuck, this thread might help answer some of your questions: https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/steel-deck-mowers
thank you
Photo of Retired Soldier

Retired Soldier

• 702 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
When I bought my LM2102SP, I thought I was buying EGO's top-of-the-line mower. One of my chief complaints was my perception that the blade RPM was insufficient to mulch as well as I thought it should.

Now I see EGO has released the LM2022SP with an improved design and a brushless motor that's apparently stronger and generates a faster RPM than does my mower.

If I had been aware that the brushless motor model was about to be released, I certainly would have bought it instead, even at the higher price.  As it is, I'm 2 days past the Home Depot 90-day return window, so now I'm stuck with a less-than-totally-satisfactory mower, which, by the way, is no longer available at HD at my purchase price, $549. Now it's $599.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,650 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
At 2 days past the 90 day return it is certainly worth the attempt to return it.  I would think your odds are good as you want to return it and purchase a more expensive model.
Photo of Retired Soldier

Retired Soldier

@szwoopp, thanks for that. I believe I will.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,650 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Just don't take no for an answer and insist on seeing the manager.
Then (if you are in a large metro area) drive 5 miles and try again at the next HD with a different manager in charge.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you bought it with a home depot card. You have a year to return it.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,810 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
@Retired Soldier: I'm still under 90 days and like to hear answers to your questions. I'm a mechanical guy but from what I read brushless motors are around 10% more efficient than a brushed motor. Plus the tip speed of the new 20" is only 2% higher than the 21" mower. Is that worth $200?

Mike
Photo of Retired Soldier

Retired Soldier

@Michael G, honestly, price wasn't a consideration when I bought the 2102, nor would it have been for the 2022. I always prefer the most technologically advanced model available, and in this case, I prefer the new design and I would have preferred the brushless motor, as my EGO chain saw and blower have. A year from now I won't remember what I paid if it performs well.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Problem is technology is always changing - you may be spending lots of $ and never be happy.
Photo of Retired Soldier

Retired Soldier

You're certainly correct about that. I should have said I try to be judicious in my selections, but for me a brushless motor is a game changer in terms of comparative longevity, reliability and power.
Photo of Retired Soldier

Retired Soldier

@Michael G, a serious rethink has me keeping the 2102, based mostly on the fact that the portion of our landscaping that actually requires mowing is a 30-minute job, and indeed, $200 extra is a heavy premium for such a limited use. If it were a 1/4 acre I might justify it.  But I also believe $749 is an unconscionable price to begin with.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

@Retired Soldier - I agree with you that brushless is a superior motor but EGO's price difference seems to be not in line with other industries. For example, I do a lot of woodworking and around the home type work. Brushless tools in this hand tool industry are typically 20-25% more expensive as bare tools but only around 10% (or less) more when packaged with a battery.

As a side note, when was the last time you had to replace the brushes on a brushed tool around the house? I have a 1950's Unisaw table saw that I restored a few years back and changing brushes was a piece of cake. BTY - this saw has a repulsive-start induction-run-motor. This motor is small but heavy. The nameplate says 1.0HP but by todays standards it's closer to 3HP - it was built when copper was cheap and they used lots of it!

Mike 
Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

• 798 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I usually prefer the best of a particular model so when my wife offered to buy me the lm2101 for my birthday for the $399 sale price this was my dilemma. I thought about the lm2021 for $649 but the wife said I'd have to kick in the $250. I prefer the shorter front end of the steel deck as for the brushless motor more power and efficiency matters more than longevity to me as I figure 10 years from now they'll have something like 120v, 15Ah batteries that I'll want. I got the LM 2101 but haven't used it yet.