21" SP mower won't start

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • In Progress
My 21" SP EGO mower is a year and a half old.  I've raved about it to my neighbors and adult sons.  Two days ago I was mowing, stopped to empty the grass bag, and it wouldn't restart.  Tried another battery - same symptoms.  Tried all different handle positions (like video in another post) no luck. The self propelled works so I know the battery and electronics appear okay.  Called customer service and they said I need to take it in to Home Depot to get it repaired under warranty. The tech at HD said that it sounded like there was something wrong within the motor itself due to the symptoms of not starting and that he's seen a lot of these. The tech added that it would take 4 to 6 weeks for me to get it back. Wow!

I asked the tech if he's seen a lot of Ego Mowers failing under warranty.  He said he sees about one per week.  That seems like a high number for me for Lake Worth, FL... there being another HD in West Palm Beach area that takes EGO products.
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

• 1,168 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Theresa Bailey

Theresa Bailey

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I had the same problem.  The problem is with the button you press to start it, over time the connection gets damaged or severed or something.  I insisted EGO send me a new mower (mine was still under warranty) and I sent the damaged one back. I worry that it will happen again though. EGO needs to address this problem.
Photo of Alan Moore

Alan Moore

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I had the same problem after I emptied my bag but found that my handle wasn't completely latched and slipped just enough to keep the motor from starting.
Photo of Alan Moore

Alan Moore

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Note that the SP will still work with the handle in any position.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,994 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Up and down yes but not fully extended and clips not tight - no
(Edited)
Photo of Thomas Cooch

Thomas Cooch

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
That's the problem I often have: one of the clamps that holds the extended handle in place gets knocked a bit loose and the mower won't start up. Just squeeze the clamp closed.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 12,122 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Also, did you review the start sequence?  Sometimes it's just getting flustered and forgetting a step or doing it out of order.  My experience buying them is most of the HD floor clerks are clueless when it comes to ego. Most don't own one, and not all stores have trained techs on duty.  So yeah, that high school kid who doesn't mow his own lawn isn't going to know jack about how to start up or triage a balky Ego, so will say it's broken just cause they doesn't know how to engage the safety correctly.  
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

Yes, the correct start sequence was followed.  I also checked all the positions of the handle... loosened then re-locked all the latches on the handle that have interlocks several times.  Those latches can stop the mower from starting.  I too think it's something simple like the button or interlock not closing correctly.  Frustrating that it still takes 4 to 6 weeks to fix.
Photo of John

John

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same problem, two different times.  All repairs are done at a central location so Home Depot has to send it to that out-of-state location.  1st repair took 9 weeks to get a replacement.  2nd repair = it's been 4 weeks but they told me they are sending me a replacement mower and I should get it in 1-2 weeks. Really nice product when it works, but a real problem when it breaks -- no one fixed it and a 6 to 9 week (for me) turn-a-round is way too long. I hope yours goes better.

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 15,060 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If it is winter and not mowing season - I would send mine in.

If it's mowing season I will buy another and return it within 90 days
Photo of James Brady

James Brady

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Rich F,  If you feel comfortable with house wiring then proceed with your troubleshooting. The mower has a brushless DC motor.  Looking for an electrical problem with this motor and it's controller are long odds versus checking the mechanic on/off switch.  To check the switch, find a two terminal wall switch, dissemble the mowers switch and connect this wall switch.  As this is a 56 DCV, protect yourself by insulating the wiring, at the wall switch terminals before installing battery to check operation.  If this works you have found the problem is the switch and if it doesn't your not qualified to fix the problem and hopefully the warranty from EGO covers your expense, but hot the five week wait.
Photo of John Cunningham

John Cunningham

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So, are there people qualified to fix this issue if it is off warranty?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 80,352 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sure, the same people who fix it when it's under warranty. Usually Home Depot or the center they send it to.
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

I checked the repair status (855-284-3349) and find out that they haven't even received it yet.  It's been 10 days.  Not very encouraging.
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

Update:  I picked up my repaired EGO 21" SP mower from Home Depot today. Yea!  It was exactly three weeks from when I dropped it off, so not as bad as 4 to 6 weeks (back in time to mow the lawn). They had to replace the whole handle assembly.  Evendentally there must have been one or more of the interlocks or switches not working.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the update Rick.
3 weeks is a pretty good turn around.  Glad to hear you are back in business.
Photo of Meggo

Meggo

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I posted the same problem under another thread.

I'm curious - has anyone who has had theirs repaired experience a repeat of the issue later??? I know you've only had yours back for 2 months, and it seems to happen around the 6-8 month time point.

Photo of Jack

Jack

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I’m on my second round of this issue now. I’ve already had to hire someone to mow my lawn while I waited for 6 weeks to get mower back. Now I’m waiting to see if Ego will send me a new mower. Meanwhile I have to hire someone to mow my lawn again. Losing money on this poorly designed product and slow service. Good battery but terrible product.
Photo of Meggo

Meggo

Thanks, Jack! I suspected that might be the case, but was hopeful that it was just a bad batch of the part on mowers manufactured in a particular time frame, and that once fixed it would resolve the issue long term. Still waiting on mine and fingers crossed. I appreciate the reply - and am sorry you're dealing with it again.
Photo of A.J. Ritter

A.J. Ritter

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I posted on a different thread that I just purchased a new mower (yesterday) and while it will self propel, the blades don't spin. Reading this and other threads it seems there are quite a few people with electrical issues causing the same problem. It is an electric lawnmower...not a good sign. I surely hope I will never need warranty support - I doubt I can wait weeks to get a repair. Maybe I should consider a different brand or just go back to gas.
Photo of Jack

Jack

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Buy a different brand or you will lose money and time.
Photo of Crista Munro

Crista Munro

• 72 Points
Agree. Wouldn't recommend this brand, after reading about all of the failures.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 115,330 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You are certainly welcome to your opinion and I can see how anyone who had a problem would certainly be tilted that way.  But, looking at HD ratings and Consumer report best buys etc seems to say otherwise.

This board is certainly slanted to include more problems as people generally come here looking for answers to problems.  Much less likely people come here to say say hey I bought one of these and have no problems.  Just human nature, just social media, just the way it is.

My experience with Ego products and customer service has been very good.  my oldest tool is a 4 year old mower which has had zero problems including the SP system. 
Have a snow blower that needed a repair and got it done at my local HD in 10 days.

So yeah there are people out there that have had a problem and generally HD repair system needs a lot of improvement, but there are also many more people out there with no problems that you never hear from.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 15,168 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
My mower is also in its 4th year with no problems except a battery replacement a couple years ago.

I wish those that come here would realize the truth of what szwoop said.
Photo of Meggo

Meggo

Many of us who have had the issue, bought our mowers more recently - most experiencing this in the first year. I would be willing to bet that our models are not identical to what you purchased four years ago. I agree that there were a number of positive reviews - I did extensive research before my purchase and that did play a role in my decision. It seems like this is something very specific to one part - perhaps it was a bad batch from a supplier, but it is consistent, and diagnosed immediately.
Photo of Joe Nawrocki

Joe Nawrocki

• 0 Points
This is exactly what turned out to be the problem for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez3c0-6uZvw&t=60s

At time :59, this was my experience as well.
At time 5:52, you can see that there are 3 wire bundles. Two are larger and one is small. There is a kink in the small wire bundle and if I fiddle with that, the mower blade motor will engage. There is a short or broken wire in there. I wiggled it around until it worked, then zip tied the small wire bundle to the other two to secure it in position. It will work well enough to mow the yard until EGO fixes it under warranty.