21" self propelled will not start with new High lift blade

• Problem
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • In Progress
I purchased a high lift blade for my 21" self propelled lawnmower in hopes of alleviating the grass striping left behind by this mower.

The new problem is the lawnmower will not start with the high lift blade, the battery begins to blink green and yellow. I tried two different batteries and yes, both were fully charged. At one point I did get the mower started and did seem to alleviate the stripping issue, but I wouldn't say it is perfect. Finally, I put the old mulching blade back on and the mower started normally. 

I did notice the mower would attempt to start but I assume the additional weight or torque required to turn blade causes the mower to abort the start.

Photo of Frank

Frank

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 50,636 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Check the blade for proper balance. My HL blade arrived out of balance.
Be sure you installed it with the correct side facing the grass.
Photo of Frank

Frank

I've made sure the blade is facing the correct direction and the blade appeared to be balanced when I put a screwdriver thru it. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

When you say blinking yellow I am assuming it is orange which indicates an overload. (there is no yellow indicator)
It certainly should work as many others have used the HL blade.  It does use more power/make more noise, so we can assume there is additional resistance but should not be so much as to shut down the mower.

Hopefully someone else has some ideas and/or a call to customer service for their input would certainly be in order.

Only other thing I can think of is the sensor that determines overload is not functioning properly.  
(Edited)
Photo of Frank

Frank

I spoke with customer service and they suggested I may have over tighten the high lift blade, which I doubt. When I asked for the torque spec, they came back and said they did not have one for the high lift blade. It blows my mind that they would put out an "improved" product without any installation specs.  

I've removed and installed the original mulching blade for sharpening many times without any issues before. I doubt I've over torqued it.

Their solution was to take it to HD and have them install it, but without a torque spec. I doubt they'd do any better. 

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 25,910 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The torque spec for the High Lift blade would be the same for the standard blade. 

Per the manual, page 27 [1]:
8. Use a 9/16 inch (14mm) torque wrench (not included) to tighten the bolt clockwise. The recommended torque for the blade bolt is 36-43 ft-lb (49-59Nm).

Ego Team: seems like this information should be confirmed with Engineering, and then a Tech Bulletin created, such that the CS team has the necessary information.

[1] 15-0910_EGO_LM2100SP_LM2100_56V_Lithium-ion_cordless_mower_manual_NA_V1_online.pdf
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 149,254 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Frank, are you starting the lawnmower on the lawn or over a hard surface like the driveway? If you're starting out on the lawn be sure to press the handle down to lift the blade out of the grass slightly while starting.
(Edited)
Photo of Frank

Frank

I've tried both methods, and no go. 

(a)Typical Engineer

As you have un/re-installed the original blade many times, it sounds like you have the procedure down.  After you install the HL blade, does it spin freely all the way around?  Forwards and backwards?

When I put a modified down 21" blade on my 20" gen 1, there were a couple of areas that had previous impacts between the blade and chassis, presumably when the blade hits a hard object and deflects into the chassis.  You could check for any areas where the blade comes within 1" of the chassis, and look for any signs of impact (should not be any).

How old is the mower?  If you're within the 90 day return period (or 1 year with the HD credit card), might be time to replace it.

One other question, what configuration do you have it setup for: mulching, side discharge or bagging?  Should not make a difference, but one other thing you could try and a different setup than your current one.
Photo of Frank

Frank

I've uploaded a video of the problem I'm having here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/UGP6czxvGgcxWKy53

(a)Typical Engineer

Well I'm convinced that you've tried everything possible, and the problem is with the extra inertia from the high-lift blade, which you can hear right when it starts, then gives up (overload trips with flashing orange).  Looks like the only fix is to have Home Depot replace, or repair it.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 59,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yep the load sensing circuit is not sensing correctly. It needs to be fixed. Sorry bud.

And over torquing the blade. Come-on ego. Do they think it is going to split the motor shaft or cause the motor shaft to expand and give bearing restriction... No way.

Just wondering. What battery are you using in there. Is it a 5 ah or 7.5?

I ask because I am wondering if it is a 2 or 2.5 this may be too much load for it to start giving it a huge voltage drop.

But it is a soft start system so this shouldn't happen.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 58,956 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We double-checked this with our product team: the high-lift blade does require extra torque at start-up, but should not be causing this issue. Please call Customer Service and we'll start trouble-shooting right away: 1-855-346-5656. 
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 3,950 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
That is weird....when I put my high lift blade on I didn't have any problems with overloading the mower.  Does your mower overload when cutting thick grass?

(a)Typical Engineer

He posted a video right above that shows it stalling in the garage, no grass involved.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I think summertj meant overload when using the standard blade in thick grass thus indicating a oversensitive overload sensor which is causing the problem with the HL blade.
(Edited)
Photo of Frank

Frank

No, I've never had any overload problems mowing thick St. Augustine grass, twigs or pine cones. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Makes the HL blade issue even more perplexing.  Hopefully you can get the receipt from HD and then get a warranty repair

Photo of Frank

Frank

I do not have a blade balancer but I've used a screwdriver to check the balance and it seems,ok. How likely is it that the BRAND NEW blade is unbalanced? (QC problem?) How sensitive is the mower to an unbalance blade?

The one time I did get it to start I didn't notice any unusual shaking or vibration.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 3,950 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Some people have reported that brand new blades had shaking/vibration that went away after balancing in the sharpening process. (Mine did not have this issue.)

Since the mower works fine with the normal bade, and since you said that the blade turns by hand with only the usual resistance, I can only assume that your HL blade has a LOT more air resistance than mine.  (Mine does make the mower "rev up" slightly due to the air resistance, but it certainly didn't overload it...it takes a LOT to overload the blade motor...)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 16,306 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
  (Mine does make the mower "rev up" slightly due to the air resistance,

My HL blade does the same thing.  Faster revs right after start-up for a few moments, then settles down to it's normal speed.
Photo of Frank

Frank

Well it seems i'm S.O.L I didn't register my mower nor do I have the receipt, I've only had it for 5 months. I did plenty of research before I made my purchase (so I thought) and after all the great reviews I did not think I would have any problems. 

Unfortunately, it wasn't until I had the grass line striping issue that I read the poor customer service repair solutions and extremely ridiculous repair time frames. I'd expect that paying top dollar for the newest technology EGO would make a mower/blade that would at least cut grass evenly and have faster repair turnaround. I could have purchased a top notch gas mower for 1/2 the price.

I'm tired of mowing my lawn twice and making excuses for my "mower" not doing it's essential duty.
Or are my expectations of EGO too high?

I really appreciate everyone who took the time to try and help me out. Thanks 

-Disappointed 
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Frank if you bought it at home depot they can look up your receipt.  Give that a try.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 59,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yep then register and bring in for warranty over the winter.
Photo of Frank

Frank

I'd have to look into that option. I usually seed rye grass over the Texas winter and detest the idea of being without a mower for weeks maybe months. It's not acceptable. 
(Edited)

(a)Typical Engineer

If you have a Home Depot online account, when you add the credit card number you used to purchase, it will pull all receipts from the CC into your account.  It will not do that if you used cash, in which case you need to have the receipt number to add it to your account.
Photo of Robert Wand

Robert Wand

• 64 Points
It's the same old run around when EGO doesn't have the answers.

(a)Typical Engineer

Frank, if you're truly stuck without warranty coverage, here is something you can try:

Problem Statement: As demonstrated by the video, adding the HL blade is causing increased inertia, which the mower is detecting as an overload condition immediately upon start-up.

Root Cause: The increased weight of the HL blade over the standard blade is the issue.

Possible Solution: Reduced the inertia of the HL blade.  Removing weight at the end/tip o the blade will have the greatest affect on reducing inertia.

Procedure:
1a) Verify initial balance of the HL blade.
1b) If out of balance, correct blade balance before proceeding.
2) Weight both blades to determine the weight difference between the two blades
3a) Decide method to remove weight from the HL blade
3b) Method #1, simply cut length off the end; downside is reduced cut diameter
3c) Method #2, drill some holes near the end of the blade, away from the "lift flaps"
4) Verify HL blade is still balanced after modification
5) As the exact amount to be removed isn't easily determined, repeat above as necessary until the mower will run without tripping the overload circuit.

Note: It is possible that the weight of the HL blade is not the issue (low probability), but there is a chance that modifying the blade will still result in the mower tripping the over-load protection circuit.