21" Self Propelled vs. Standard

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I am in the market for a new mower and want the latest and greatest.  Frankly, i am turned off by self propelled as I like the added exercise.  I heard somewhere that the 21" self propelled is actually more powerful than the standard 21".  Is that accurate?  Are there any performance benefits to the self propelled version aside from the bigger battery?
Photo of Jeffrey Zellers

Jeffrey Zellers

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jeffrey,

Can you give a description of your lawn?  Type of grass, size, etc?  Quite honestly, on most lawns I don't see an issue going with the manual mower verses the SP.  The motor is less powerful, but that never stopped the older 20" model from doing a fantastic job.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,194 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Very true. Also, the 20" has better mulching ability.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Jeffrey, Ego advertises the 21" SP at 1000W, and the 21" at 700W. For reference, the 20" is advertised at 600W.

The SP is more powerful, but also weighs more than the regular model due to the SP hardware. If you don't need the extra run time of the larger 7.5Ah battery you may be better off with the 21" 5Ah kit.

If you have a larger lawn or have very thick turf, the SP kit is the way to go.
Photo of Julio Villanueva

Julio Villanueva

• 1,860 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I just got my 21" self propelled lawn mower 2 days ago. It's my first and only EGO machine, ever, so I can not compare with other mower. But i felt this one very powerful. Even though my land is pretty flat, no slopes, i tried the SP and it is powerful. Machine runs fast. If I were you I would get the SP not just because of that feature but also because it comes with the extra big size battery (7.5Ah vs 5.0Ah) for only an extra $100. That battery by itself cost over $300
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Being that you like the exercise and are turned off by the SP, if I was in your shoes, but I'm not, I would get the lighter and more manuevrsble 21" non SP mower. It really all depends on your lawn in regards to the battery.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
...however, more weight = more exercise! :-)
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

• 956 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I replaced my 3.5 Hp 21" HondaHR 21 self propelled with the 21" EGO SP. The EGO cuts like butter, is lighter, no gas, no....everything. If you don't want SP, don't depress the SP lever (duh) but you may need it someday and it won't be there. Everyone however if you want to bag the grass, the standard blade is useless, it has little to no vacuum because it has almost no airfoil. (that's why it's quiet). Get an all-around blade from Home Depot (the 20 in fits in the EGO 21, EGO fudges on blade size and noise db) that has a good airfoil and sucks grass into the hopper. It's also a bit noisier now because of the additional air volume and air speed from the better blade. The HD blade comes with a set of adapters to fit most mowers, just pick the right one. Sharpen the blade and it will outdo even a 3.5 Hp gas engine. I can't be happier with this unit.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I am interested in the HD blade...can you provide the model #. I would like to see if it will improve the mulching ability. Honestly I find it bags just fine with dry conditions.
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

Here's the url. The adapter is the bottom one. The adapter is a stamped metal part so it may need a bit of filing to get it to seat properly but it does.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/20-in-Universal-3-in-1-Walk-Behind-Mower-Blade-490-100-H090/202970660
(Edited)
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

The higher you have the blade set for cutting the less vacuum you have so that's another variable to be dealt with. All the more reason to have a good airfoil blade.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Thanks Fred.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Someone should confirm with EGO that running your mower with a non-EGO blade may (or may not) void the warranty.  Clearly putting more weight on it will affect the performance, and possibly, life of the electric motor.
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

Dunno. It may void the warranty. The issue is do I want something that works or not. EGO needs to bring their High lift blade AB2101 to the US market. Why do they have a high-lift blade? Because they had to admit the standard blade doesn't work well in many cases. I ran both the original blade and the non-EGO blade. The non-EGO does the job, the other does not, simple as that.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

I don't think anyone is debating that your solution solves the issue.  I'm merely suggesting that you might want to clarify with EGO whether or not this voids your warranty since you're - admittedly - using a non-EGO part.  

I'd love to see their high-lift blades in the US market, as well.  Not sure why they don't sell them here, strangely enough!
Photo of Jeffrey Zellers

Jeffrey Zellers

The warranty is voided if you modify, not sure this is a modification. It says that the blade is not covered so theoretically you should be allowed to replace it yourself with whatever blade fits. That said, I think a manufacturer can make all kinds of excuses to not honor a warranty. I say keep the standard blade so you can put it back on if necessary.
I'd be less concerned about the warranty and more about the long term effects. I can't comment on that until I see and feel both blades.
Photo of Julio Villanueva

Julio Villanueva

• 1,860 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'm curious and confused about this conversation about blades. It seems that you only need a different blade, other than the one that comes with mower, if you bag the cut grass. I do not use bag, I prefer grass is sprayed back to lawn. That said, I shouldn't worry about changing blade? :\ Please, advise. Thanks :)
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Julio: if you're happy with your mower's current performance (mulching, etc), then you have nothing to worry about.  Fred switched blades because he wasn't getting the suction he desired when bagging, that's all.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Generally speaking, yes this only applies to bagging or side discharging. I like to vacuum up leaves in the fall even though I exclusively mulch the rest of the year, and sometimes having a dedicated blade for a specific purpose can be better.

The standard blade should do all three well, but some aftermarket blades have a steeper slope (think ceiling fan blades) that creates more suction and more force pushing the cut grass toward the chute and into the bag or out the side. Ego also has an official high lift blade, but it hasn't been made available in the US or Canada... yet.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
My experience with 21"Self-Propelled Ego vs all other lawnmowers I've had. 2 different Lawn-Boy mowers and a Briggs and Stratton real mower.

My 21" Self-Propelled is quiet because it doesn't have an engine. Most of the noise of a standard engine lawn mower does come from the engine. I know some comes from the blade as well. The standard blade has done great for me and I exclusively bag... Absolutely no issues with the way it works. The grass goes all the way back to the back of the bag and when the bag is emptied there's no wasted space.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I agree with another person. I would get the Self-Propelled model for the bigger battery and Self-Propelled feature if I want it in the future. More powerful blade motor for future needs also. The mower is still super light and rolls well with the ball bearing wheels!
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

Having said all that about the standard blade, I see EGO has a high lift blade available. Will have to try it.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Well, if we are able to find a seller who carries the high-lift blades and delivers to the US!
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

I saw it on line on the EGO site for a minute but now I can't find it again. It looked like it had wings on the blade end. Go to HD and get the All purpose 20" blade; it works perfectly.
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

Yes it's on the foreign list, you had a picture of it.  Weird they don't offer it in the US.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@bloomz - if you got the SP model that we all got in the US/CA, then it's likely this high-lift blade won't work with ours.  that sucks.

It's vexing why EGO doesn't release a high-lift blade for the US/CA market, even if it affects battery life.  There's many of us that need this!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
From what I've read in one of the other threads part of it also has to do with testing by UL. I don't know whether that means Ego doesn't want to pay for certification, or if they are and the process just isn't complete yet.
Photo of Jeffrey Zellers

Jeffrey Zellers

Nice advice guys, what a great community!  I've never used a self propelled so I didn't know that it was as simple as not engaging the drive.  Thanks Fred for that and for the tip about the blade.  

My lot is relatively flat, a little over a quarter of an acre and my lawn is about 8000SF of thick fescue.  Based on the run times I suspect any of the models could do the job on one charge.  

I'll have to hit the store to check out the form factor of each model to see if there is anything that sticks out. 
One thing I didn't consider, I don't currently plan to add a string trimmer but I guess with the right battery I may have some extra charge after a mow to pop the battery into one and clean up around my fence.  
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

If your goal is to use just the one battery that comes with the mower for both tools, that might be a point in favor of the non-propelled 21" push mower since it comes will a smaller, lighter 5.0Ah battery.

The question is whether that will be enough juice to mow your whole lawn with some left over for the trimmer. My yard is about 7,000 sq ft of Bermuda and the 4.0Ah battery wasn't quite enough to finish mowing with the 20". The 21" spins the blade slower so *could* use less power, but also has a more powerful motor (600 vs 700/1000 respectively for the push/SP) so could use more. My experience is that the 21" SP uses a little more power, so the push version could be close to the same power consumption.

My guess is the 5.0Ah battery will be very close to depleted when you finish mowing, and won't be able to get much trimming done without first visiting the charger. The 7.5Ah with the SP will probably have power left over, but that is a pretty big size and weight to be carrying around on the string trimmer.

Your best bet is probably to get the string trimmer as a kit so that you have two batteries. I can't tell you how many times I've been glad I have a spare that is at least partially charged when the battery I'm using dies just before I finish!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Jeffrey, I thought the same way when I was getting into Ego equipment; use one battery for everything. Now I'm very glad to have more than one:

1. As David said, having a spare can get the job done without waiting to charge.

2. If anything ever went wrong with one battery or charger, you have redundancy.

3. The smaller batteries make the hand held tools lighter and easier to use.

4. The kit price is usually a small premium over the bare tool cost.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Agreed...go for the kit & caboddle :-))
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

Everyone have their deposit in for the Tesla 3 ? It's going to be harder to get than an EGO.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Unfortunately I have to hold out for a Tesla family hauler that can fit 3 car seats!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,638 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
While I like tesla, there is no compelling reason to finance my retirement into a car. ;-)
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I do.
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

This is off subject but Tesla 3 is $35K and with a rebate, less than $30K; less than many of today's Detroit Iron.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I want to put mower blades under my tesla if i ever get one.
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

You could mow 100 acres of grass with it.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

About the  21" SP at 1000W and the 21" at 700W... the 21" SP runs a separate motor that engages the SP feature.  I wonder if the 1000w rating is those two motors put together?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

It has been officially clarified that the blade motor is 1000w:

Does the new POWER+ 21" SELF-PROPELLED LAWN MOWER actually have increased power output?
https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...

"The 21" Self-propelled mower has two motors. One for the blade and one for the drive system. The motor for the blade is 1,000W. We hope that this helps alleviate any confusion or concern about the kind of power you'll experience with the newest EGO Power+ product."
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Sweet - thanks for the clarification!  This makes me feel better going with the SP version at the end of the day.  I'd rather have the more powerful motor (the difference between 700 watts and 1000 watts is pretty huge).  
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,532 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

I got self propelled because I have this malady of getting older every day, and I don't want to have to buy a new one when that day comes.  With a more powerful blade mower, just don't push the SP handle if you don't want to - it's no less of a mower, possibly more so.

Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I bought the SP during the free battery promotion and happy I did. The mower is light even with the SP option and I push mine 98% of the time anyway. The 7.5 amp battery I normally see over 60min runtime giving me plenty of time to mow my yard. I am also running the blade 100% of the time I am mowing. Some may stop and start...I figure less stopping and starting is less wear and tear on the battery and the motor and increasing runtime.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,094 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I bought my 21" SP in early July and have been extremely happy with this machine.  The reason I bought the SP is because my yard has a decent slope to it, so from time to time, I do need the extra help with the lawn mower.  Additionally, I like to have the largest battery possible and since the 21" come with a 7.5 Ah, I can always use this battery with my other EGO power tools.  My yard is about 10,000 sq/ft and I always end up with about 25% battery life - even when I used the SP when mowing.
Photo of @bobbleheadguru

@bobbleheadguru

• 362 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Self propelled, nor not?.

I have about 1/2 to 2/3rd of an acre. My old mower was self propelled. Do I need the Self Propelled model? I just bought the non-self propelled model, but did not use it yet. Thinking of paying the extra $100. Worth it?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.