21" self propelled 7.5ah what is the run time if self propelled is in use?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
ModelLM2102S

I bought a ryobi 40v, and it takes 3 hours to charge for 10-20 min runtime. Supposed to be 45 min. Just wondering if this mower does 60 min with self propelled feature enabled the hole time?
Photo of Doug Dinger

Doug Dinger

• 348 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,272 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Doug! Yes, you can expect approximately an hour of run time per 7.5Ah battery charge using the self-propel function.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,750 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hey Doug
Not that Amber's word isn't gold, but thought you might appreciate a real life experience as well.
I have the 21" SP and get an hour or more of run time with the 7.5 battery while using the SP feature the whole time.
Although wet or very thick grass would likely knock it down a bit. (or if your yard is like my dad's walk to school and uphill both ways)
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Another benefit is the charge time is much faster, roughly 60 minutes to charge
Photo of Doug Dinger

Doug Dinger

Thanks for all replies. My yard is flat, and small. Took 4 charges with ryobi, and 3 hours a charge gets old fast. Definately making the switch
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,650 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Holy battery pack. 4 batteries for 1 small yard !
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,810 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
This is my 1st season with my 21" SF mower. My lawn 5000 sq ft but have raised gardens, landscaping, etc that reduces my grass area but I get at least 2 cuttings with the 7.5Ahr battery. Something I learned on this forum is it'e especially important to keep your blade sharp to extend battery. Since you don't need to worry about the gas or oil in the mower you can easily fold the handle up, stand the mower vertically, remove blade, sharpen, & reapply blade and be ready to cut in less than 10 minutes.

Mike
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 11,100 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I have a 7.5 AH SP model, and the only time I've gotten a 1 hour runtime (55 minutes) was very early in the season when the grass wasn't really growing very thick. (I'm in Florida).

Now I'm usually getting run times in the 35-45 minute range when doing moderate to heavy mowing. (The one time I tried mowing wet grass it only went for 25 minutes.)

Space wise, I'm getting around 1/4th-1/3rd of an acre per charge of the battery.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Keep that blade razor sharp. See if that extend your mowing time
Photo of David

David

• 1,962 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I think a lot of factors will affect the run time. Length cut, grass thickness and rigidity. Speed at which you mow, terrain level and speed that the blade spins at (it speeds up under heavy load).
One hour is very optimistic in my opinion and may be fine if you mow twice a week or in very dry low growth areas.
 Mine lasts at most about 45 minutes in a mixed load use scenario and charges in about 45-50 minutes. lets just say I never had to recharge....but i'm right at the limit  and just just made it once to shut down stage.

Not too worried as I am trying to get the Powerhead  system by EGO (if kit ever available in Canada) That will give me an extra battery (5Ah) in case i run out with the 7.5Ah.

Bottom line is EGO will outlast and outperform anything Ryobi has at the moment.... You wont be disappointed!...... Well maybe ;if you like to be forced to stop mowing due to a dead battery and enjoy a cold beer or two while its charging. No chance of that happening with the EGO
Photo of Doug Dinger

Doug Dinger

Thanks for the reply. I just returned the Ryobi today, and got the ego 21" self propelled. Ryobi told me the battery had to be malfunctioning, but still 3 hour charge time is ridiculous. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Let us know how it goes with the new mower!
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,810 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Good choice Doug. I know the mower comes with a 7.5Ahr battery but I have a 5Ahr battery that came with my chainsaw and got 60 min. out of it between two mowings. You will love the cut and performance of this mower.
Photo of Doug Dinger

Doug Dinger

This mower blows ryobi out of the water. Battery didn't die, and was able to finish my yard. My neighbor started about the same time i did with a gas push mower. Her yard is much smaller, but i finished before her. Love how fast the mower moves with self propelled feature.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Awesome! Thanks for the update!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,650 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Doug - glad to hear it has worked so well for you !
Photo of Doug Dinger

Doug Dinger

Your welcome